TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Dakota sells at Mecum

BobsShelbyDakota

• 3 weeks later...

I had to replace my computer on my Shelby Dakota, and I am using an 89 computer from a Dodge van. Along with the known issues like the fan wiring and tach not working. Does anyone know how to get the overdrive button to work? Or is there a different computer that will allow for overdrive?

Thanks for the advice, so far it has got me on the road. I would still like to purchase a computer for my 89 Shelby when available.

I had to replace my computer on my Shelby Dakota, and I am using an 89 computer from a Dodge van. Along with the known issues like the fan wiring and tach not working. Does anyone know how to get the overdrive button to work? Or is there a different computer that will allow for overdrive?

Thanks for the advice, so far it has got me on the road. I would still like to purchase a computer for my 89 Shelby when available.

Have you tried swapping your eproms over from the Shelby computer to the new van computer?

When you say EPROMS, is that the first part of the computer or power side?

The EPROM is the chip on the computer main board that controls the engine operation. However, while the Shelby EPPROM had the electric fan control added to the code in the chip, it also required a wiring change to the unit in order to operate the fan relay. So, changing the EPROM would not solve your situation unless the computer wiring is modified also.

Changing to the Shelby EPROM might enable the tach to work once again, however, removing the EPROM from the Shelby computer (without damaging it) and then installing it into the working unit is very likely more technical of an effort than you may be able to tackle (seeing you didn't know what an EPROM is).

Yes, that might be some undertaking for me, but if that will work I can have a friend do this work. Will I need to rewire the fans as before with the 89 van computer and the Shelby chip?

If you have changed the fan wiring from how it came from Shelby, then yes, you would need to change it back. But a far simpler solution is to just use an external temperature controlled switch to control the fans. They sell them at Summitt, Jeg's, etc. Ther is no gaurantee that the tach will work even with the Shelby chip swapped into the Ram computer (depends on what options were hardwired into the Ram computer when it was built).

It is likely the Ram computer is from a stick shift car. If it was from an auto, the OD would probably work. And in that case, changing the chip most likely wouldn't help (I think).

But on an off chance it might be somethig else, does the cruise control work? If not, the problem with both the cruise and OD could be that the speed/distance sensor is bad. It located on the tail shaft of the trans.

Archived