TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Adams Polishes

slbgtsc

They used my car to show how not to maintain a good paint job. I'll admit, I used to be a California Duster guy. I know now that this is probably the worst possible thing you can do for your paint job. My car is very badly swirled and I didn't really realize it. They clay bared a section of my hood and then polished it. Wow, do I have a lot of work to do. My paint was so nice a couple of years ago and I have not maintained it properly. Now that I have my Flex polisher and full line of Adams stuff, hopefully my paint will be back to how it should be pretty soon.

They used my car to show how not to maintain a good paint job. I'll admit, I used to be a California Duster guy. I know now that this is probably the worst possible thing you can do for your paint job. My car is very badly swirled and I didn't really realize it. They clay bared a section of my hood and then polished it. Wow, do I have a lot of work to do. My paint was so nice a couple of years ago and I have not maintained it properly. Now that I have my Flex polisher and full line of Adams stuff, hopefully my paint will be back to how it should be pretty soon.

Crap! I'm quilty of using the duster too. Please tell me what I should be doing.

Yep....been using a duster too. I have clayed the Shelby once and it seemed to really make a huge difference. Truth be told I readhow to do it and watched several videos before I did it. So where do we go from here?

:lurk:

Whats wrong with the CA duster?

Ive used it for years, not to rub on the car, but lightly drawn over the surface then a quick detail with Pinnacle crystal mist or Showtime.

Always great results, but if not used right, then buyer beware.

I've had some bad experiences with others detailing my car and I would like to learn how to do it myself. What should I do as beginner? I'd done spray waxing before, but I've never used a buffing wheel or a clay bar. I know that just doing it is truly the best way to learn, but I don't want to tarnish the paint or ruin a stripe. I've watched a few Adams youtube videos and I like their product, but what makes it better than Mother's, Meguiar's, or other national brands?

CD when used no matter light pressure or not the idea of it is to pick up the dust in the fibers that have a coating on them. When you pick up the dust it goes no where but sits on the strands as you continue to drag that dust across your paint to do more you are running the risk of that dust putting swirls and mico scratches in the paint. Specially you are dusting dry with no lubrication.

I've been looking at the Adam's website for a few hours now (and their youtube videos) and am a little overwhelmed by everything they have. I'm not looking to spend a lot (yet), but I want to be able to do a complete clean-up and a wax depending on how the car looks after that. I was looking at the Flex polisher and clay bar kit. Should I be looking at anything else?

I've been looking at the Adam's website for a few hours now (and their youtube videos) and am a little overwhelmed by everything they have. I'm not looking to spend a lot (yet), but I want to be able to do a complete clean-up and a wax depending on how the car looks after that. I was looking at the Flex polisher and clay bar kit. Should I be looking at anything else?

The clay bar kit is definitely a good thing to get. Personally, I detail by hand (being a college student doesn't leave a lot of funds for extra stuff), so a good starter kit if you wanted to do it by hand would be this:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-515-adams-premium-hand-polish-car-wax-kit.aspx

And that includes the clay bar kit too.

Now I haven't used any of Adams products but I've wanted to try them for a while, and I've heard good things about them.

The clay bar kit is definitely a good thing to get. Personally, I detail by hand (being a college student doesn't leave a lot of funds for extra stuff), so a good starter kit if you wanted to do it by hand would be this:

http://www.adamspoli...ar-wax-kit.aspx

Now I haven't used any of Adams products but I've wanted to try them for a while, and I've heard good things about them.

Where do you go to school? I'm a college student too at the University of Michigan. I know all about modding (and cleaning) on a budget, thus the reason for all the questions. How long does it usually take you to do it by hand? I wouldn't mind to do it by hand, but I figured I could do a higher quality job if I used a buffer of some kind.

Just to chime in...I have clayed my '08 once and it took me the better part of three hours to do. Admittedly I took my time, used alot of Meguiar's Quik Detail spray and was very careful around the stripes. I would work in about a 1.5-2ft diameter area then move on. I also used several (around 10-12?) microfiber towels during the whole process. Once they got 'wet' I swapped to a new one. Also make sure you knead the clay and be careful not to drop it. The issue is that if you drop it you might as well throw it away because no matter how clean your driveway/garage floor is, you would likely have particles of things stuck in the clay. Hope that helps.

I've always done my black SGT by hand but I can't seem to get some of the swirl marks out, so I just picked up a porter cable polisher, and an adams kit. I was using the Show car detail stuff but I like the Adams kit as it is color coded. I was a little nervous about using a power polisher but after attending the Adams event I am no longer nervous about it. One thing thing I picked up was if the car has been sitting for a while covered or uncovered you should blow off the car with an air compressor or one of the Adams systems before using a detail spray or water less wash. The other thing I realized was the wash mitts I have been using which are 2 years old need to be replaced.

I use Adams and have since car was new. I set my Porter cable on 300OPM, a little swirl and haze, nice and slow. Perfect results every time. If it didn't take out haze, move up to a more aggressive pad. So far, I've never needed to use the green pad, only up to the orange. 1st, of course, clay the entire vehicle, leave the residue and detail spray on the finish, swirl and haze right over it. Then clear, apply revive polish, if needed, then a coat of machine wax, clear and admire the black beauty!

edit***

Use care when claying on edges, quickly and light pressure only or you'll run the risk of removing all the clear coat. I also clay and polish the stripes the same as the paint. 5 years and my stripes are almost perfect still.

I use Adams and have since car was new. I set my Porter cable on 300OPM, a little swirl and haze, nice and slow. Perfect results every time. If it didn't take out haze, move up to a more aggressive pad. So far, I've never needed to use the green pad, only up to the orange. 1st, of course, clay the entire vehicle, leave the residue and detail spray on the finish, swirl and haze right over it. Then clear, apply revive polish, if needed, then a coat of machine wax, clear and admire the black beauty!

edit***

Use care when claying on edges, quickly and light pressure only or you'll run the risk of removing all the clear coat. I also clay and polish the stripes the same as the paint. 5 years and my stripes are almost perfect still.

You haven't had any problems with the stripes? In all the adam's videos they tape off vinyl stripes, I would assume I could polish the stripes but I didn't know what the clay bar would do to them. I'm hoping to find a detailing class nearby to get some tips in person.

Attended a great demo at the Adams Polishes headquarters today. Great stuff thanks to those that have recommended it. Halle is going to get a little make over after today's event.

I used to be in the business and sorry Adam's polishes prices are not equal to their product. I've used basically everything and keep returning to Mother's

I used to be in the business and sorry Adam's polishes prices are not equal to their product. I've used basically everything and keep returning to Mother's

What has made you turn to Mother's? What makes them stand out as the leader to you?

http://www.adamspoli...ar-wax-kit.aspx

I go to Virginia Tech. I have only waxed the Shelby two or three times so I can't remember the exact time. But I have a Cobalt and to wash, clay, wash again, polish, and wax it takes me about 3 hours, maybe a little more. But I also wash my car at least once a week, that helps. I hate dirty cars. Here is a pic of my car after detail. The products I used are as follows:

Wash: Mothers California Gold Carnuba Wash & Wax

Clay: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit

Polish: Meguiar's Polishing Compound

Wax: Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax

47635844940133175336075.jpg

Now I like the products I currently use. But I would like to try the Adams or Meguiar's Pro Line to see how I like them. And you can always do a better job by using a buffer. But I prefer doing it by hand. Sorry for the threadjack.

Archived