TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Painted Rear Bumper Stripes, 2011 GT350

Hey guys. I am thinking of having the stripes painted to the rear bumper to match the "over the top" vinyl. Anybody here done such a thing? Also, for those who have the painted version, would you be willing to post a close-up picture that I can show my painter? He thinks he can get very close to the original blue color which apparently is not made available to us. Thanks in advance......

In that you never can be sure what the camera sees, I would recommend that you check with SA on the paint code for the blue stripe. They should have the PPG or Dupont number at the paint shop for reference. However, it may not be a perfect match for the color of the vinyl stripe. You need to match that color.

If you are going to do this, you may as well do it right and have all the blue vinyl removed and painted. Then you can use whatever shade of blue you want (I recommend guardsman blue) and not be limited to the confines of pre-colored stock vinyl that Shelby American uses. I can recommend a great guy in our area that can give you a wonderful price. He's doing my Shelby right now.

http://shelbygth.wordpress.com/

If you are going to do this, you may as well do it right and have all the blue vinyl removed and painted. Then you can use whatever shade of blue you want (I recommend guardsman blue) and not be limited to the confines of pre-colored stock vinyl that Shelby American uses. I can recommend a great guy in our area that can give you a wonderful price. He's doing my Shelby right now.

http://shelbygth.wordpress.com/

Wow Troy. You are really coming along on that Hertz! I will consider the full painted stripes in the future, and would be happy to get that recommendation from you. Thanks.....

The color is Guardsman Blue - very popular sixties color from Ford. Any automotive paint supplier will have the paint code and can mix it.

Caution, the vinyl stripe color is different than the paint color. There is a shade variation due to how the vinyl is manufactured.

Go full painted, you will not regret it or take the road less travelled, and go stripe delete. I have see a stripe delete white GT350 and it looks awesome.

I have vinyl stripes on my 350, After having the vinyl I would say go with painted stripes it would stand out more. The only thing positive about vinyl is that it can be replaced cheaper when the time comes to refresh your car. Either way there is pros and cons, Do what your gut tells you.

Guardsman Blue is not anything secret. Any paint shop can mix this for you - it's a beautiful and classic shade of blue, and is what the original GT350 used. SNKBITE, I would seriously get in touch with Mike for a quote to have this done. It might be cheaper than you think and it would be such a wonderful upgrade to your Shelby. Stop in the shop and see how he's doing with mine.

no, but you can get a gallon of paint from SA for around $850 ..... plus freight.

?

Jer

Sounds like way to much money if you ask me..........

Maybe....but when I ordered the 350, the very first thing that was checked off on the order form was the painted stripes. After having vinyl stripes, it was a no brainer. And I'm so glad I did, they're great and sooo easy to take care of.

Now if I can just get some touch up paint........ :banghead:

John

Maybe....but when I ordered the 350, the very first thing that was checked off on the order form was the painted stripes. After having vinyl stripes, it was a no brainer. And I'm so glad I did, they're great and sooo easy to take care of.

Now if I can just get some touch up paint........ :banghead:

John

John leave a message for Craig Robinson. He should be able to help. craigr@shelbyamerican.com

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

This paint code is a special blend from our supplier, and even WE don't have the recipe. They even make sure the cans ship to us with no recipe labels, like other colors have. It's NOT just plain Guardsman Blue.

For anyone who has a car that was a painted-stripe car from SA and needs touch-up paint, send me an email.

Thanks,

Jer

Archived