TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Installing 4.6L racing valve covers & have a question!

ilmor

From the manufacturer:

The plastic coupler and PCV valve is installed on the driver’s side of the engine. The plastic coupler is cut and then pressed onto the end of the provided valve. The assembly then goes in line between the intake fitting and the fitting on the cover.

See pix attached below. A PDF document of these instructions will be uploaded here shortly, and included in the box going forward. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Jer

This (the driver side hose) needs new hose also, such as was provided for the passenger side, but a larger size. I'm not sure what size. The existing hose is a shrink-fit plastic and won't adapt properly to the end fittings, PCV and other plastic fitting. I did get the passenger side done today, but now I'm stuck at the driver side.

This (the driver side hose) needs new hose also, such as was provided for the passenger side, but a larger size. I'm not sure what size. The existing hose is a shrink-fit plastic and won't adapt properly to the end fittings, PCV and other plastic fitting. I did get the passenger side done today, but now I'm stuck at the driver side.

Bob, you do use the existing hose. It's a tight fit, yes.

I'm finalizing the Instructioon Sheet with the two new additions, but here is the gist of the side you're having trouble with:

PCV hose modification:

Remove foam wrapping from PCV hose. Cut the PCV hose 3-½" from the straight connection end (see diagram). Cut a 1-1/8" section out from the first cut (the PCV valve will take the place of the this section of hose).

Cut the NAPA plastic hose connector 15/16" from the end (see diagram). This short piece with the barb will adapt up the PCV valve to the proper hose diameter. Using a heat gun, warm the barbed piece of the connector you removed and press it all the way on to the small end of the PCV valve.

The PCV valve will be inserted in-line of the hose with the flow direction arrows (stamped in the PCV valve) pointing toward the intake manifold (the small diameter end of the PCV valve is the end that points toward the intake).

Using a heat gun, warm the hose end with the straight coupling and press the PCV valve in all the way (up to the PCV valve shoulder).

Using the heat gun, warm the other half of the hose end and press in the PCV valve (end with the plastic barb adapter) all the way to the shoulder.

Jer

m2.jpgm3.jpgm1.jpgHose PCV.JPG

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

Hose PCV.JPG

Cam covers installed. LOVE'EM!!

Nice!

Jer

Good to hear it!

Jer

Roger Sorel

Roger was an important figure in Shelby history, good on ya!

Jer

Roger was an important figure in Shelby history, good on ya!

Jer

I was at the Tasca Mustang event in 2010 and he was there. I asked him if he'd mind signing my fuse box cover. I think he signed mine, QuadCam's and Secondo's that day....

• 3 years later...

Bringing up this old thread, as I have a set of these cam covers on the way

Did anyone receive the PDF instructions that Jer was compiling?

If yes, please let me know

Thanks

Lg

I usually save everything like that but do not find a pdf for this in my files. I'll check my garage later; if I have a hard copy I'll scan it for you.

Pulled the PDF from the Moroso site for what they have. All it gives is the information on modifying the PCV hose. attached it in case you didn't have it already. The removal and installation of the valve covers should be the same for any set of replacement covers. Am has customer submitted instructions on their ford racing valve covers page u can print out. Hope this helps

Jeff

Moroso 3v68388_inst.pdf

It's kinda funny, I bought a set for myself, but have not found the time to install them.

Once I put them on, I'll upload photos... they are GORGEOUS.

Jer

Same here. I've been sitting on them for a couple years now along with a pile of other parts.

Same here. I've been sitting on them for a couple years now along with a pile of other parts.

You and Jer need to do it. Makes the engine look so awesome!

I did mine years ago! Old post! LOL... The Moroso instructions are all that is needed.

Couple questions on installing the covers:

When you guys installed the Shelby cam covers did you use new gaskets or reuse the originals from the stock covers?

Just the allen head fasteners and flat washers, no other seals, o-rings or the like, correct?

Also, wondering about the merit of installing new spark plugs given everything is already apart

Only 12k since new plugs when I installed the supercharger but it was the spring of 2011

Primarily considering it due to the 2-piece spark plug

Thanks as always for your help

Larry

When you guys installed the Shelby cam covers did you use new gaskets or reuse the originals from the stock covers?
Just the allen head fasteners and flat washers, no other seals, o-rings or the like, correct?
Also, wondering about the merit of installing new spark plugs given everything is already apart
Only 12k since new plugs when I installed the supercharger but it was the spring of 2011
Larry

I had the FRPP covers on my car, transferred all the stuff, gaskets and all, right over to the SPP covers.

As for spark plugs, if you have the originals, yes, good time to swap them out. Be careful, as you may have heard, the stock plugs have breakage issues. Soak with solvent, take your time, etc...

Jer

I checked the old gaskets; they looked brand new so I reused them.

Correct.

I still have my original plugs. The car runs fine to me so I've chosen not to spend the time and money, personally.

Larry

Archived