TEAM SHELBY FORUM

S197ShelbyOA Member Give-Aways

Staff

I sent my answer in before I was a member and after I was a member-Do I need to resubmit my original answer or was I wrong?

We will be looking at all the all answers tonight. You do not have to resubmit. If no one gets it right we will be picking the person that got the closest. Dont worry for those that get it wrong we will have plenty of more give aways coming up.

We will be looking at all the all answers tonight. You do not have to resubmit. If no one gets it right we will be picking the person that got the closest. Dont worry for those that get it wrong we will have plenty of more give aways coming up.

Close is only good enough in horseshoes. :rant:

Just kidding sharon...I know I didn't win...I'm just a :cry: baby

Close is only good enough in horseshoes. :rant:

Just kidding sharon...I know I didn't win...I'm just a :cry: baby

We have reviewed the answers and no S197 member that submitted an answer got it right. There were a few people that got a portion of the question right. We are trying to decide what to do.

We will let everyone know tomorrow.

..and it's my fault that the question was so difficult. :blush:

You see, I had a near-miss (chance to buy) with one of these in the early 80's, and I had to research the crud out of this very subject. Bottom line was, the seller did not have the documentation on it, so I did not buy. :cry: Best I did not without the doc's necessary for proof. After all, it WAS a whopping $6500 :spend: at the time!!!

But I do know the answer :hysterical:

Sorry, I will try to go easy (easier) on you guys from now on!

~Crispy

We have reviewed the answers and no S197 member that submitted an answer got it right. There were a few people that got a portion of the question right. We are trying to decide what to do.

We will let everyone know tomorrow.

It's now May 28th (which means it's way past tomorrow) & IT'S TIME FOR AN ANSWER & WINNER PLEASE!

It's now May 28th (which means it's way past tomorrow) & IT'S TIME FOR AN ANSWER & WINNER PLEASE!

Since no one got the complete answer right but a few got half right we are going to out everyones name that submitted an answer in a hat and pull a winner from the hat. This is the only fair way we have decided. This will happen soon. Sorry it took so long.

Since no one got the complete answer right but a few got half right we are going to out everyones name that submitted an answer in a hat and pull a winner from the hat. This is the only fair way we have decided. This will happen soon. Sorry it took so long.

:nonono: What is the correct answer to the triva question then & who are the finalist (with their published answers for all to see) because this is getting way too secretive. :yup:

:nonono: What is the correct answer to the triva question then & who are the finalist (with their published answers for all to see) because this is getting way too secretive. :yup:

We will be announcing the winner and the correct answer only, tonight, we will not be publishing the other things. Sorry

then I'll show my own answer that I submitted for all to see then & encourage others to do the same.....

there was one other - a 1967 Experimental Shelby Convertible (EXP-500) (a.k.a Little Red GT-500 ) that combined new fiberglass style and Paxton supercharged power. It was constructed at Shelby American.

post-768-1180394056_thumb.jpgpost-768-1180394090_thumb.jpg

Also to add to this history lesson.....

Don McCain (a Shelby American West Coast Rep) & Shelby American wanted to build an estimated (50) 1967 427 Shelbys to sell but never did. But records show that (10) 427 Shelbys were built in Los Angeles in 1967 & only (3) of those have Factory Documents including the Super Snake. Dozens of other 427 Shelbys were built & came from garage swaps & dealership "dealer installed retro-fits" (Mel Burns Ford) & (Tasca Ford in Providence, Rhode Island) but no one knows just how many were dealer installed cars were done. Also in 1967 Don McCain worked with Mel Burns Ford in Long Beach, CA & they made (13) GT350 Drag cars.

post-768-1180394056_thumb.jpg

post-768-1180394090_thumb.jpg

The answer is Tasca Ford and 12 were made

No one got the total answer right, so in order to make it fair we put all the names in a hat and pulled out one name and that name is Jhoffman :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: Thanks to all those S197 members that submitted an answer keep a watch we will have lots more give-aways coming in the future.

No one got the total answer right, so in order to make it fair we put all the names in a hat and pulled out one name and that name is Jhoffman :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: :banana piano: Thanks to all those S197 members that submitted an answer keep a watch we will have lots more give-aways coming in the future.

Alright Jhoff...you the man... :cheerleader:

So are any of the 12 still around today? Any pics of what they looked like?

Congrats Jhoffman! :happy feet:

So are any of the 12 still around today? Any pics of what they looked like?

Congrats Jhoffman! :happy feet:

Most of 'em are gone, gone, gone. Even if you found one, without proper documentation, you would never even know it!

Another interesting tidbit from that era is that when '67 GT500s blew their engines- under warranty- the customers, in some cases, were offered 427s as replacements, and many took the dealers up on that. This adds to the confusion.

Folks who purchased Tasca Ford's conversions did not, in many cases, preserve the documentation. So, years later there were many suspected SuperSnakes....and others that were just warranty replacements, and others that were fakes or misunderstood.

The reason I knew about this is that I had a close encounter with one in Boston around 1981. The guy wanted $6700-- about $1500-$2000 more than the 'regular' GT500s..but he had no documentation. I researched, and researched and RESEARCHED to find the damn number!!! Dealer info, documentation, and customer records were sketchy at best (many of the cars had changed hands a number of times by then, and the conversions were lost in many cases).

So, I did not buy that one (White with Blue SS Stripes). Had another brush with a claimed Tasca conversion in 2000 on Cape Cod. Remember, this area (New England) is THE place to hunt for these as they were mostly sold locally, right??? ;)

This one was Green. Had stored it for 20 years, but again he had no doc's so I did not buy it. The guy seemed a bit hokey to boot.

I have seen copies of the original documents by this time so I knew what to look for. Unfortunately, even in 2000, many of the documents still had not surfaced (colors & options of each car) as the dealership did not have them.

So, this car is one of the slipperiest GT500s to hunt, and the name SuperSnake is very appropriate!

Hope this info helps. Shelby American history is so interesting. All kinds of one-offs, one-of-a-kinds, etc. Crazy stuff! It's like panning for gold, you never know when you're gonna catch a nugget!!! :hyper:

then I'll show my own answer that I submitted for all to see then & encourage others to do the same.....

there was one other - a 1967 Experimental Shelby Convertible (EXP-500) (a.k.a Little Red GT-500 ) that combined new fiberglass style and Paxton supercharged power. It was constructed at Shelby American.

post-768-1180394056_thumb.jpgpost-768-1180394090_thumb.jpg

Actually, Little Red was an early production 390 Cubic-Inch coupe, (not a 'vert) driven by a Shelby Engineer (Fred Goodell). Custom interior & Vinyl Roof. Shelby wheels, no roll bar. Used as a test vehicle for drivetrains.

The last engine it had in it was a 428 with-- GET THIS--TWIN PAXTON SUPERCHARGERS!!! Yeeee-haaaaw!!!!! :hyper:

It's decendents became the California Specials in '68. By the way...it found it's way to the crusher! :cry:

'Verts were built as prototypes in '67 (around the same time), but Little Red was a coupe...

Could you please list what research materials you have that gave you this mighty Shelby knowledge power so I may get this untapped power too?

:drool: Crispy

:hysterical2: You ARE one funny guy! Alot of it is knowledge I gained from around 1978 till now, being a Shelby fanatic......BUT, if you love Shelbys (like I do) the Shelby American Registry book (around 1,000 pages) is an excellent source of information.

The Tasca Ford Supersnake info, however, is NOT in there!!! That was alot of research on my own part....very tedious stuff...

On all of my searches it does come up with Tasca Ford but I have never seen a number 12 as the number built. If anything it said noone knows how many were built. Where did you get the number of builds so I can look in that periodical on the next hunt?

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehi...cle_car_review/

:hysterical2: You ARE one funny guy! Alot of it is knowledge I gained from around 1978 till now, being a Shelby fanatic......BUT, if you love Shelbys (like I do) the Shelby American Registry book (around 1,000 pages) is an excellent source of information.

The Tasca Ford Supersnake info, however, is NOT in there!!! That was alot of research on my own part....very tedious stuff...

You are right on about little Red being a coupe I also understand they installed fuel injection system in this car as

this car was used only for experimental .

Archived