TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake cooling Duct/Light Install.

I previously had installed the brake cooling ducts/PIAA driving lights and then removed them to try the Agent 47 brake duct as my AFCO HE blocks the Shelby setup. Well I didn't like the look of the Agent 47 setup so I sent it back and ordered a new Shelby Setup. After pulling it all apart I've decided to flip the AFCO and put it on the top instead of hanging down. This give plenty of clearance for the Brake Cooling ducts and lights. I used longer bolts with 2 shock bushings per bolt to space the HE'r back to clear the grill. I will have to notch the grill housing and bumper cover to clear the HE but it won't be visible with the grill in place. Later I will upgrade to a larger AFCO radiator to off seat any lost cooling from placing the HE higher up in front of the radiator and AC condenser. Here is a picture of the AFCO re-positioned.

HE 007.jpg

HE 006.jpg

HE 005.jpg

HE 007.jpg

HE 006.jpg

HE 005.jpg

Update and some other photos added. One thing I did notice is by moving the HE'r up I don't think it will effect the cooling of the car. The area that is taken up by mounting the HE'r in the lower grill is similar to the area taken by mounting it higher up. Everything is buttoned up and looks nice. Love the front end with the lights and the added light won't hurt.

I also took a picture of how the mounting bracket should be positioned on the frame as the instructions don't have one and if you place it incorrectly it will throw the lights off by 1/4" or so.

brake ducts 002.jpg

brake ducts 003.jpg

brake ducts 004.jpg

brake ducts 005.jpg

brake ducts 007.jpg

brake ducts 002.jpg

brake ducts 003.jpg

brake ducts 004.jpg

brake ducts 005.jpg

brake ducts 007.jpg

My guess is the effects on cooliing will be negligible as the HE was blocking the lower part of the radiator. Moving it up did not increase the surface area being blocked. We shall see. One of my next mods is a larger radiator any ways for track days.

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping an eye on this for updates - I haven't gotten around to my install mod yet!

Since you flipped it over, I wouldn't think so, but are there any issues with running the fluid through the HE backwards?

Sam

I haven't had any issues, just had to extend the wiring harness for my pump and re-route some hoses. The only issue that I have and it is purely cosmetic, but the shinny HE clashes with my black out mesh grill so I will be pulling the cover off and masking things off to put some high temp paint on it to black it out as well. When is was lower I never really noticed it but up high like it is I can definitely see it. If I had the stock grill it wouldn't matter.

Came up with a good use for my old hood pin lanyards. I looped them around the front swaybar and then wrapped it around the brake duct hose to keep it out of the way. I used an acorn nut and bolt to secure it. The cable is certainly strong enough to hold the hose in place. I originally used two zip ties, but that made me nervous, so now the potential issue is solved. I've put a couple hundred miles on it with no issues. Looking forward to a track day to see how well the ducts work at keeping the brakes cool.

Archived