TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Accurate dyno figures on stock KR's

REAL ONE

I haven't dyno'd mine but I talked to a shop here in Maryland about it (Maryland Performance). They said they have dyno'd KRs in that shop and that stock cars come in right around where they are listed: at 540HP. I was expecting him to say it would be a little more actually. Didn't get into more details at the time because he was extremely busy. I don't know what type of dyno he uses. Seemed like a knowledgeable guy if you want to give them a call.

how'd he dyno it and arrive at 540? that car is rated at 540 flywheel power, not at the rear wheels.

if the autoblog article mentioned above saw 509 at the wheels and the KR had an aluminum driveshaft and different rear gears, that could mean less than 15% loss, which would mean flywheel was actually less than the 598 they cited. also, couldn't the dyno be miscalibrated?

MUSTANG DYNOS ALWAYS GIVE A LOWER NUMBER. ON MY PROCHARGED 97 COBRA THE MUSTANG DYNO WAS 508 RWHP AND ON THE DYNOJET IT IT READ 568. SO FIGURE ADD 10% TO A MUSTANG DYNO IF YOU WANT BRAGGING RIGHTS ON GUYS WHO ALWAYS QUOTE DYNOJET NUMBERS.

What TVS did you get?...Ford Racing?...2013 GT500 upgrade...or VMP?

Ford Racing (M-6066-SGT-)for two reasons,

1) its plug and play on the kr

2) it looks stock because I didn't want any issues passing "smog" here in the Republik of Kalifornia

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you purchase a SCT tuner, you can upload the KR tune into it and download whatever custom tune into your KR you want. The SCT tune will then store the KR's stock tune if you should ever want to return the car to stock. HTH.

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you purchase a SCT tuner, you can upload the KR tune into it and download whatever custom tune into your KR you want. The SCT tune will then store the KR's stock tune if you should ever want to return the car to stock. HTH.

Agreed and I have to believe Ford left power on the tabel with the tune.

• 1 month later...

I just got delivery of the TVS upgrade for my KR, and before I do the swap, i'd like to get some pulls in to see the before and after numbers....

Hi Cali_KR,

Any update on your before and after dyno results from you TVS upgrade. I've been thinking of the TVS upgrade myself and would like to see what to expect if I decide to move forward. I had Tasca do a stage 2 upgrade on the GT500 last year and that certainly made a big difference now that it is putting out 528 RWHP. I'd like to kick up the KR as well.

Mike

Hi Cali_KR,

Any update on your before and after dyno results from you TVS upgrade. I've been thinking of the TVS upgrade myself and would like to see what to expect if I decide to move forward. I had Tasca do a stage 2 upgrade on the GT500 last year and that certainly made a big difference now that it is putting out 528 RWHP. I'd like to kick up the KR as well.

Mike

Mike,

I didn't get any numbers, before or after...but I do know this...it took us only 1 hour to do the swap, and wow, did the the KR ever wake up! You will NOT be dissapointed

So, I've had both an SCT tuner and a Pro-Cal tuner on 2 Mustangs. They cannot overwrite each other. You have to "flash" back to stock in order to use one or the other. Since the KR uses the FRPP power pack upgrade (cold-air intake and Pro-Cal tune), I was wondering whether the KRs were sold with a Pro-Cal hand-held tuner or if it was done by SAI? Once you load a tune via an SCT or a Pro-Cal, the car is "locked" to that device. That's why I was wondering how you could perform an upgrade that requires an ECM re-flash if you don't have the original Pro-Cal tuner.

My 2010 GT-500 has the KR engine (last year with the cast iron block) and I've added the exhaust so performance wise it is exactally like the KR.

I had mine on the dyno with about 500 km on the car and it was 468 rwhp.

I down sized the stock pulley and went with the Jon Lund tune and SCT tuner.

Last dyno run was 568 rwhp.

2007tungstenGT500, the tune that is in the KR when it is delivered will upload and be stored into your SCT Tuner before you download whatever custom tune you choose to run into your car. There have been posts that the KR's tune will safely handle the FRPP TVS, however in my case I chose to use a custom tune as I also changed pulley size and the tb, in order to maximize the combination.

My 2010 GT-500 has the KR engine (last year with the cast iron block) and I've added the exhaust so performance wise it is exactally like the KR.

I had mine on the dyno with about 500 km on the car and it was 468 rwhp.

I down sized the stock pulley and went with the Jon Lund tune and SCT tuner.

Last dyno run was 568 rwhp.

My 08 GT500 with a cold air and custom tune only, made 500 at the wheels, with a snake bite kit, made 580 on the Dyno at Shelby. That was with the stock pulley. My plan for the KR is to go with the custom tune and see what that nets

Archived