TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drill Bits

So here's the deal - I finally broke enough of the bits in my 29 pc drill bit set to warrant just buying a new set instead of a bunch of individual bits. I go down to the local hardware store and grab another set just like the one I've got and take it back to the shop. I open it up and start reading the card that came with it and it says these bits are for wood, plastic & SOFT metal (Cu, Al, brass, etc).

These bits are HSS (high speed steel). Since when is HSS not good enough for drilling steel? Is it because everything now comes from China? I have used HSS bits for steel for decades and always got along just fine as long as the bits are kept sharp and a reasonable feed speed is used. Do you have to buy cobalt bits now to be able to do what you used to do with HSS?

I feel your pain. When I was working some of the contrators would supply bits. Then they got cheap and we had to buy our own and since what we would buy we went thru the same process. You can buy cobalt but I am sure if they are made in you know where they will suffer the same death.

So here's the deal - I finally broke enough of the bits in my 29 pc drill bit set to warrant just buying a new set instead of a bunch of individual bits. I go down to the local hardware store and grab another set just like the one I've got and take it back to the shop. I open it up and start reading the card that came with it and it says these bits are for wood, plastic & SOFT metal (Cu, Al, brass, etc).

These bits are HSS (high speed steel). Since when is HSS not good enough for drilling steel? Is it because everything now comes from China? I have used HSS bits for steel for decades and always got along just fine as long as the bits are kept sharp and a reasonable feed speed is used. Do you have to buy cobalt bits now to be able to do what you used to do with HSS?

Just need to buy quality bits & they will last if kept sharp.

High speed steel should be fine for drilling steel with a cutting oil or coolant if you're using an enclosed mill. I have used sets like this in the past, but not necessarily this brand. For anything really tough you can buy carbide drill bits.

http://www1.mscdirec..._-SearchResults

It just really pisses me off when I see stuff made today that is INFERIOR to the exact same product made decades ago! How is that even remotely acceptable with the advances that have been made in metallurgy, machining, CADCAM, etc? I just picked up my O2 regulator today after having it rebuilt. It was a little pricey to have done so I was considering just getting a new setup until the guy behind the counter went nuts over mine talking about how high quality it was and how nothing made today even comes close to it. This was a setup (Airco) that I bought fresh out of college so I KNOW I didn't spend that much on it - and its better than what they make today. I seriously just don't get it. :nonono:

OK, rant over, back to your regularly scheduled programming - thanks for the opportunity to vent - I feel much better now :petting:

At least until next time!

quality is not like it was in the past. most american companies sell out ie. cleveland twist drill.cobalt drills is used for stainless and some exotics.my preference would be carbide drills ,just keep them sharp.now days cheap seems to be the trend .price and quality.

Archived