TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Widest tire for Alcoa rear wheels

tim285401

This is a reprint of a response from a email sent to Jer, asking the same question (also about tire brands and TPMS)

Well, the TPMS system that your car currently uses is perfectly compatible. They are the blue "band mount" version.

You can re-use the modules you have now, but the mounting bands are not reuseable.

As for tires:

Recommended tire size: 255/35/ZR20 front

Recommended tire size: 275/35/ZR20 rear

I have Nitto 555 and love them in all weather, as well as on the track. I've also had customers rave about the Nitto Invo.

They also are a great value, not very expensive at all, and wear well, too.

Anything wider than a 275 will rub the quarterpanel.

I'm a little confused. I have researched thread after thread and I thought I read that some members had 295/35/zr20's installed on 2013 with stock suspension. (Not Lowered) Is this not true?

I'm a little confused. I have researched thread after thread and I thought I read that some members had 295/35/zr20's installed on 2013 with stock suspension. (Not Lowered) Is this not true?

Yeah, I was under the same impression. In fact, I was PLANNING on running 295/35's on my 20" SS wheels.

Anyone been running that size?

The tire sizes Jer recommend (above) appear to be the same size that came on the older Super Snakes, which was my initial preference. My personal belief is that Shelby American recommends that size for some kind of legal reason (liability, DOT, etc.). Nothing to back it up with OTHER THAN there have been wider tires successfully run on them without a problem so why wouldn't SA run them too?

Phill

Yeah, I was under the same impression. In fact, I was PLANNING on running 295/35's on my 20" SS wheels.

The tire sizes Jer recommend (above) appear to be the same size that came on the older Super Snakes, which was my initial preference. My personal belief is that Shelby American recommends that size for some kind of legal reason (liability, DOT, etc.). Nothing to back it up with OTHER THAN there have been wider tires successfully run on them without a problem so why wouldn't SA run them too?

Phill

Nope. No liability or legal concerns enter the picture.

We have a few reasons for recommending tire sizes:

Handling grip

Driveability (wide front tires are not everyone's favorite on the highway, rough or rutted roads, etc, and can be a handful in everyday use. They grab at everything, not always the best thing)

Vehicle dynamics (big wide tires on the rear can induce understeer, or "snowplowing" on demanding curves)

Clearance (not "most of the time", we specify for "all the time")

Fuel economy (OK, we really don't give that much thought, I confess... but the increased rolling resistance of wider tires does affect the car's ability to coast somewhat, like the brakes are always dragging a bit)

Remember also: We're recommending tires for owners that put less than 10% of their annual miles on the car at a track. The rest of the time, ya gotta live with the thing.

So unless you commute with a helmet on, choose carefully...

Jer

Phill

Well I ordered Michelin Pilot Super Sports 275/35/zr20's (20 X 9) front and 295/35/zr20's (20X10) rear last week and already paid for them. So I'll be running them and report back. All my driving is at track. Also to and from my home except for a car show at coffee and cars once a month.

Well I ordered Michelin Pilot Super Sports 275/35/zr20's (20 X 9) front and 295/35/zr20's (20X10) rear last week and already paid for them. So I'll be running them and report back. All my driving is at track. Also to and from my home except for a car show at coffee and cars once a month.

Thanks "V3" - I would be interested in the results....

One thing that may factor into the equation is the suspension differences between your 2010, and my 2007.

While not significant, it just may afford you a bit more lattitude in tire size/width.

30's or 35's?

Anyone know for sure if there is a difference between the 07-09's and the 10's-14's for fit?

I don't *know*, but I don't *think so*.

I'm waiting on the 30/35 answer too.....

Phill

Thanks "V3" - I would be interested in the results....

One thing that may factor into the equation is the suspension differences between your 2010, and my 2007.

While not significant, it just may afford you a bit more lattitude in tire size/width.

I had my Michelin Pilot Super Sports 275/35/20 mounted on my Alcoa 20x9 front and my 295/35/20 Alcoa 20x10 rear today. They function and look great on my 2013. No problems. I'm going to the 2.9 mile road track with it Saturday morning Jan. 19 for the ultimate test. I'll report back again on how everything handled. I'll also post some pics at that time. (pics with my race numbers on my car seems only appropiate :)

Thanks guys for all the inputs, since i ordered my Alcoa wheels via Cruizing Concepts with the Nitto wheel package http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale.com/supersnake-wheels.asp . i purchased the 285/30/20 Nitto set, (i paid 1000 less than the current price). they came in and fit great no rubbing (Nitto's seem to grip curves better than stock 2010 tires).

and yes i was too late for the Oct 1 annoucment jer made for the wheels (wife negotiations...lol), but i have them.

I had my Michelin Pilot Super Sports 275/35/20 mounted on my Alcoa 20x9 front and my 295/35/20 Alcoa 20x10 rear today. They function and look great on my 2013. No problems. I'm going to the 2.9 mile road track with it Saturday morning Jan. 19 for the ultimate test. I'll report back again on how everything handled. I'll also post some pics at that time. (pics with my race numbers on my car seems only appropiate :)

Was at track all weekend. These tires performed great with no rubbing issues. On a side note, I noticed extreme improvement with grip compared to the Goodyear F1 G2's that were factory on my car. To qualify the improvement of the Michilens, I just look at my lap times. Goodyears lap time was 2 minutes 33 seconds. Michelins lap time 2 minutes 04 seconds. Each lap was 2.9 miles with 15 turns. Hope this helps.

i've

Was at track all weekend. These tires performed great with no rubbing issues. On a side note, I noticed extreme improvement with grip compared to the Goodyear F1 G2's that were factory on my car. To qualify the improvement of the Michilens, I just look at my lap times. Goodyears lap time was 2 minutes 33 seconds. Michelins lap time 2 minutes 04 seconds. Each lap was 2.9 miles with 15 turns. Hope this helps.

i've heard nothing but good things about the Michelin Pilot super sports, they're just a little too rich for my blood....lol.

Huge difference in times. Amazing.

Venom, that's great for the lap times, quite a difference.

Did you lower your suspension at all?

On my 2013 GT500 I want to run 275/35/20 up front on 20X10's and 285/35/20 on the rear on 20X10's.

What do you think?

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

i have a lowered '07 sitting on the eibach pro-street s and have run 315/35s on 11" out back. there was a slight bit of rubbing on the passenger, rear only. pretty sure i could get away with a 305/30 without any rubbing.

I'm looking for tires for my Alcoas and want to run 315/35/20 NT05R. Did yours rub on the quarter panel or the inside? Mine arnt widened.

For the winter I am running 315/35/20 Conti DWS on 20X10 rims on a 2012 SVTPP with no rubbing issues. They stick out a bit but I like the look and they bite hard when I put the pedal down. My rims are have a .45mm offset.

I was running 255/35 and 285/30 but they were too low. I had split the sidewall on the 2 of the 255/35 on 20X10 inch rims. Running 275X35 upfront. No issues.

Conti DWS come with a 60 day swap out warranty that I took advantage of. I have a set of rims being widened to at Wieldcraft to 20X11. That will bring 315/35 in a bit

I am running 295 rear on my SS alcoas...no problem at all.

Amigo, did you have to widen your Alcoas to get the 295/35/20's on the back and do you have any rubbing problems? Did you have to do any inner fender modifications as well? I would like to maximize my traction without modifying the cars. I have the same SS as you.

Thanks.

Kevin

Archived