TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Racing a GT-H

I'm wanting to do a little road racing, autocrossing and drag racing for fun this summer with my GT-H. I'm not looking to compete or modify the car to do this - just want to have fun and learn how to drive my car FAST. I'm not sure how to handle this with an automatic, and my car also has a Whipple. Has anybody attempted this with the automatic GTs or GT-Hs? I wonder what the best way to handle the shifter and right foot is? Just keep it in DRIVE and not worry about it? Any tips for me would be appreciated as I'm not used to automatics for any kind of "sporting" event.

My initial thoughts:

No. 1 - re: mods, you will need to upgrade the brake pads at least. For example - http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hpplus.php

No. 2 - make sure your tires are in good shape. What tires do you have?

No. 3 - for road racing, I highly recommend you take a class or two or three to get started.

No. 4 - if not modifying, stick it in drive and go!

Buy a TCI ratchet shifter, you are not gonna want to shift the gears manually with the stock piece. You also are not gonna want to leave it in drive either. Plus, always remember to turn off the TCS.

www.tciauto.com/.../streetfighter-reg-05-...

I would encourage a High Performance Driving Class. I did the Bondurant class (and am taking the advanced class in the days before the bash this March). Miller Motorsports also has a school as does Spring Mountain (Ron Fellows).

TCS on and off will certainly affect the feel of the track, especially in turns. I would turn it off.

Actually, I will be doing a HP driving class at BIR. As for brake pads, It seems those Hawks have mixed reviews. Most of my driving will be street - some have reported that those pads are incredibly dusty and loud. Others, don't report this. I don't want to have to change out pads just for a track session. Are they street friendly or not? Do I need new rotors to mate with them?

I've done all of those with my GT-H. In drag racing, you will be fastest just putting it in Drive, traction control off, overdrive off. (based on your tune of course with how your shift patterns are set up, etc.) Totaly stock, the fastest way in the quarter is drive, with no question. I've done everything imaginable with shifting, braking, launches and was never able to be faster than drive. Now that you are supercharged, it will depend a lot on how your tune is set up for shift patterns. For road racing, the ratchet shifter is the way to go. The stock shifter is pretty hard to deal with holding 1st, only hitting second or third. That is the hardest time I had with the short stock shifter. The ratchet shifter is awesome for knowing what gear you are locked into. Most autocrosses you will be left in first or second gear. Stock shifter is ok, but again the ratchet shifter helps here also.

Archived