TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Interesting GT500KR find

I was looking on Ebay at Mustangs and ran across an interesting find. I saw what is called a Hennessey KR600 KING OF THE ROAD Upgrade. I was really confused because I thought Shelby had the rights to the King of the Road name. Here's the link.. King of the Road

I saw this a few months back, good point

I don't know if the Hennessey KR is offical or in reference

CS may have a legal opportunity

If CS or Ford were to sue John Hennessey they would be at the back of a long line of people who have brough action against JH and Hennessey performance. Do a search for Hennessey on svtperformance there is a lot of information posted about his business practices.

I forgot about that car, I remember seeing it and just figured it was something like a clone, guess not? I agree about the KR thought Shelby had rights to that? Amy!! You see that ? Hennessey bad! :nonono::finger::gang::redcard: Really, if Shelby has rights to KR then how can he get away with this?

They have been selling those for many months on ebay. I remember seeing where one sold at the $79,500 buy it now price.

So if he is selling all his at $79,500 how will that compare to the SS package with the 725 HP?

:redcard:

But the conversation was about Shelby owning rights to KR , how can this dealer sell this as a KR and get away with it

Not comparing to SS its about the KR badging!!Copyright infringements!! :redcard::backtotopic:

Hummmm. Sounds like infringement to me, but I'm no Lawyer. I'm surprised that FoMoCo hasn't slammed them yet. I wonder if SAI is aware of this.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I'm sorry that is just wrong, it's like naming your company the same as another to get business, Hennessey doesn't need more they have enough why infringe on Shelby? Why even remotely name a vehicle :banghead: this pisses me off, sorry. I own a business and if someone named their company the same as mine it would be like riding on my reputation!! :finger::redcard::nonono::fan::rant::rant::soapbox::chairshot:

Am I overboard with this, or does anyone else think this is wrong!? :glare:

I'm sorry that is just wrong, it's like naming your company the same as another to get business, Hennessey doesn't need more they have enough why infringe on Shelby? Why even remotely name a vehicle :banghead: this pisses me off, sorry. I own a business and if someone named their company the same as mine it would be like riding on my reputation!! :finger::redcard::nonono::fan::rant::rant::soapbox::chairshot:

Am I overboard with this, or does anyone else think this is wrong!? :glare:

Very wrong...and Hennessey is not just riding on but ruining the KR name. He is selling a 620hp grenade (for $79,500).

good find!! PM sent to AmyB.

Dan

Thanks all, we have already spoken to hennessey and this should be resolved shortly.....thanks!

amy

Hummmm. Sounds like infringement to me, but I'm no Lawyer. I'm surprised that FoMoCo hasn't slammed them yet. I wonder if SAI is aware of this.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

That's what I do for a living, albeit in Canada. Sounds a bit similar to a discussion about "SS" badging on one of the Super Snake treads. I checked for KR and King Cobra and saw nothing registered in the name of either one of Shelby, Ford or Hennessy. Here is a general link to the search page:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=sear...tate=fe8adv.1.1

I believe there is another site where Ripthedealeroff found similar information but I am not familiar with it.

Using "Carroll" and "Shelby" under owner's name, the list of trademarks found includes "Supersnake" (in one word, not two), and interestingly GT650 (maybe a future version...), but no KR or "King of the road".

I am not perfectly familiar with US trademark laws but I guess "KR" stopped being used by either Ford or Shelby many years ago and was likely left unprotected (not sure however that they could have kept it validly protected forever if it's not in use). As I mentioned on another post, in Canada, someone can ask for a trademark registration to be removed ("expunged" being the legal term used in the Trademark Act) when the trademark has not been in use for a period of 3 years. Don't know about the US but I guess the principle might be the same even though delays may be different. I hope this does not cause Ford/Shelby any problem.

Remember the Ford GT. When the prototype was launched, it was referred to as the GT40, just as the '60s car. They had to change it to GT because a British replicar manufacturer had taken the name that Ford had abandonned many years before. Here is the actual registration in the name "GT 40":

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Mark GT 40

Goods and Services IC 012. US 019. G & S: AUTOMOBILES AND STRUCTURAL PARTS THEREFOR. FIRST USE: 19820000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19820000

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING

Design Search Code

Serial Number 73531071

Filing Date April 8, 1985

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Published for Opposition July 23, 1985

Registration Number 1363264

Registration Date October 1, 1985

Owner (REGISTRANT) SAFIR ENGINEERING LIMITED CORPORATION UNITED KINGDOM BROOKLANDS GARAGE, OYSTER LANE BYFLEET, WEYBRIDGE, SURREY ENGLAND

(LAST LISTED OWNER) SAFIR GT 40 SPARES, LIMITED LTD LIAB CO OHIO 1410 ELM LANE TERRACE PARK OHIO 45174

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED

Attorney of Record EMORY L. GROFF, JR.

Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "GT" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR). SECTION 8(10-YR) 20070222.

Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 20070222

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is not a similar situation.

Thanks all, we have already spoken to hennessey and this should be resolved shortly.....thanks!

amy

Sorry everybody,

Had not seen Amy's post before mine was sent. Glad to see everything will work out fine.

Archived