TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trunk Mat Issue

G8R Chomp

My '08 has an issue with the 'flat tire kit' rod punching through the bottom of the trunk mat. I've searched the internet and can't find anyone who has a similar issue, so I'm thinking I'm somehow special.

The mat simply doesn't stay in place--the fit is very poor. I have the Shaker 1000, which means a smaller mat. With the lack of a spare tire, the mat sits right on the rod. When I place anything hefty in the trunk, the weight is right on that point.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Is there a part that I'm missing that protects the end of the rod?

Thanks,

Todd

I have the same issue. I took the mat and liner out of the trunk and just use the spare tire void for extra trunk space. Once I get some spare time I'm going to take measurement of the spare tire area and get a piece of foam to fill it with -lightweight and will hold up when weight is placed on it.

Yeah, I had the same foam insert idea. I also thought some sort of broad plastic 'cap' for the end of the rod might work. I was hoping that maybe this has been identified and some sort of resolution was already devised. I guess Ford expected us to keep garage queens.

I gotta put my beer somewhere. :beerchug:

• 4 weeks later...

Beer fits in any small softside cooler...just put the hard plastic part of velcro tape all over the bottom of it and it sticks to that factory mat like contact cement! It does'nt tear it up either.

My mat fits flat with no issues so I dunno what to tell you about that. I'd take a pic but she is all put away for the winter right now. If you need it bad I can get one, but I don't check my PMs on this site too often so it might be awhile.

Looks like you are missing the oem rod cap for some reason, here are pics of the oem plastic cap that came on my car.

You might be able to get one from Ford, or maybe find something similar in a hardware section.

If you are lucky, they might have been on other models besides the GT500s, not sure if the Mustangs had them as well.

A good parts guy should be able to figure that one out pretty quick.

Another option might be to match up the rod thread to a nut, and weld the nut onto a small piece of plate steel.

A piece around 1.5" x 1.5" x .050 thick would work nicely for that, or you could even use a good sized fender washer to make a round pad.

Track down a buddy with a mig or tig and they should be able to help out with that option.

Rod Cap 1.jpg

Rod Cap 2.jpg

Rod Cap 1.jpg

Rod Cap 2.jpg

Archived