TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking for input on the Widebody

Happy New Year All!!! Hope it was safe for family and friends of all. I have my 2012 GT500 Vert at SAI awaiting its transformation to the 800HP beast. Only option I didn't opt for was the Kicker upgrade. My question to you all is this.....do I go with the widebody conversion with the supersnake package or not. I have entertained the idea of this, the rear only WB, or widening a spare set of Alcoa's and keep the originals with the car. I have not seen the WB in person, nor have I seen pics on a vert(not sure if there is one yet?) I want to be able to put more tire on the pavement, but I really am not a fan of the brushed rims that go with the WB. It is unfortunate one cannot get a 13" Alcoa where the rim extends out. I really want to have an original set of SS Alcoa's that can stay with the car.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Best,

Jim

Sidenote: I plan to attend the Bash this March, but if I opt with the WB, the car may NOT be done. I did get the OK from the fiancé to get another Shelby coupe in the next couple years if I sell my redline collection. Reason for this is I want a track car(no roll cage in the vert SS)....could always wait for the WB on the coupe. Sooooo many options!.

If you have a track car in your future, is the car now at SA going to be more of a boulevard cruiser? If you are going for looks, the wide body, front and back. has some appeal to it (at least with the renderings I have seen). But with the horse power you are going to have installed at SA, you can put all the rubber on the car possible and it will not make a difference . . . you will be able to break the rears free at will. The big rubber does look great though. So, bottom line, if you are going to, down the road, build a track car (one that will be built out so it is truly competent in the twisties), you can build out your present car as a straight line powerhouse, both under the hood and body wise. Back to the wide body, I don't think I have seen a rendering of a wide body on a convertible with the top down. Whatever you do, it will be an awesome car. Please update us on what you are doing as things progress. I am particularly interested on what you have in mind for a track car. If you have already thought out some of the specs, share them with us if you are willing. Enjoy the Bash. Everyone should go to one or two of them. Even if your car is not done by then, you will get visitation with it. It is going to be one special car, that's for sure.

Jim

Thanks for the response Jim, and you are correct in the cruiser aspect. I live in an area that is fairly remote and the roads have great damage from all our lovely logging trucks! I plan to trailer the ss on weekends to shows and other areas to just cruise. As far as the track car , prolly go the gt350 route or get a 2013 gt500 a couple years old and ss that as well.

As far as the bash goes, the date has very special meaning. I built this car in tribute to my father, who ironically passed away march 21st of last year...one year to the day of when the bash starts. I feel as if he wants me to take him for a cruise that week,(we had spoke of him getting a shelby before he passed)so it needs to be done. Even if this means no widebody.

Jim,

Tough question and I'm sure that is the reason you're asking. Personally I would go with the wide body kit, I've seen a WB car in person and like it. Now with the fact you haven't see a WB car in person causes me to pause a little. The vast majority of Shelby enthusiaists like the WB but there have been a few who didn't. What if you are one of those few?

Now from a numbers position you can't go wrong with a WB option. First the Super Snake for the 2012 model year is limited to a maximum of 500 cars. Although SAI is not currently anywhere near the maximum production just how many of these potential SS's will have the WB option? Not too many, so you are now taking your Super Snake from a possible 1 of 500 down to a number that I predict will be a lot less. Could a WB 2012 SS be a 1 of 5? 1 of 10? Hard to say and there's no way to guarantee the number except that there is no way every 2012 SS owner will select the WB option.

Regarding the build timeline. I agree that if you choose the WB option the odds are not in your favor for the car being completed by the Bash. With that in mind this is what I would do in your situation. Continue on with your SS build that hopefully will be done in time for the Bash. Come out in March for the Bash, enjoy your SS during the Bash and while at the Bash check out the WB in person. If the WB is everything you've dreamed of then leave your SS with SAI for the WB install. If the WB turns out to be something you're not interested in then you continue with your original plans on taking your SS home.

Steve

Tough question and I'm sure that is the reason you're asking. Personally I would go with the wide body kit, I've seen a WB car in person and like it. Now with the fact you haven't see a WB car in person causes me to pause a little. The vast majority of Shelby enthusiaists like the WB but there have been a few who didn't. What if you are one of those few?

For the record; *I* am one of those that DON'T like it. I did in pics but when I saw it in person, I did a complete 180. I think it's God awful ugly. It *might* be a generational thing because it SO reminded me of the old IMCA/Trans-Am wide body kits people put on their cars in the 70's and 80's (a TREND, WAYYYYY outlived).

My advice would be to get a round trip ticket to Vegas (they're generally cheap as LV is the #1 vacation spot in the US) and go look at the Black one on the floor. See it for yourself, see it IN PERSON. Pics don't capture the essence.

It is cheap insurance for what could be a monumental (I've heard $15K, $17K, etc. (installed)) mistake. A couple hundred bucks could save you tens of thousands.

OR....You might fall in love with it and it's still money well spent.

Phill

Having seen the wide body in person I like it. The black SGT in the museum looks awesome. I also got to see a 2013 red candy SS with the wide body kit, again, it looks awesome. I think the darker color cars wil really make the kit look better, although I would like to see what a white wide body car looks like to compare.

Steve has a good idea. Have your car ready for you at the Bash and if you decide you like the wide body in person, leave it and have it done after you've enjoyed your SS at the Bash. And if you didn't have the time constraints you do, Phil's idea is good too. Better to spend a few hundred dollars and make sure you like something then spend thousands to find out you don't.

Good luck!!

Dan

Thanks for the input guys.....I like Steve's idea about leaving it if I like the looks of it at the Bash. Phil, I actually started to second guess the idea when I seen your post on the other thread.lol

Steve, do you know if there is any kind of widebody(WB) designation on the dash plaques?

For the record; *I* am one of those that DON'T like it. I did in pics but when I saw it in person, I did a complete 180. I think it's God awful ugly. It *might* be a generational thing because it SO reminded me of the old IMCA/Trans-Am wide body kits people put on their cars in the 70's and 80's (a TREND, WAYYYYY outlived).

My advice would be to get a round trip ticket to Vegas (they're generally cheap as LV is the #1 vacation spot in the US) and go look at the Black one on the floor. See it for yourself, see it IN PERSON. Pics don't capture the essence.

It is cheap insurance for what could be a monumental (I've heard $15K, $17K, etc. (installed)) mistake. A couple hundred bucks could save you tens of thousands.

OR....You might fall in love with it and it's still money well spent.

Phill

I am very sorry to add this link, but I couldn't help but think of the Monza Mirage when you mentioned 70's and 80's................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwcBgswi_Sk

Please forgive me........

R

Thanks for the input guys.....I like Steve's idea about leaving it if I like the looks of it at the Bash. Phil, I actually started to second guess the idea when I seen your post on the other thread.lol

Steve, do you know if there is any kind of widebody(WB) designation on the dash plaques?

Good question and one that I don't have the answer to. I wouldn't think so but let me check with the Team tomorrow and I'll get back to you.

Also keep in mind that the WB that Phil looked at in the Museum is a 2007 body style. There are slight difference between the body styles. Paint color plays into the look of the WB. And remember that those faux NACA ducts are no longer used.

Steve

Also keep in mind that the WB in the Museum is a 2007 body style. There are slight difference between the body styles.

Not following that one. There are differences between Mustang bodies made in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009? If so, this is the first I have heard of it, What differences were there and in what years? Thanks.

Jim

Not following that one. There are differences between Mustang bodies made in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009? If so, this is the first I have heard of it, What differences were there and in what years? Thanks.

Jim

I assume the 2012 WB will have a slightly different look from the 07 they were speaking of at SAI?

Is there any kind of Super Snake inscription on the wheels that go with the SS WB? The Alcoas had their own for the SS, and KR.....it would be a selling point for me.

Jim

This thread is discussing the OP's 2012 Shelby but Phil's comments are directed to a 2007 Shelby GT in the museum so I was trying to point out the difference between a WB installed on a 2007 SGT vs a 2012 Super Snake GT500.

Steve

That is the GAS (Galpin Auto Sport) wide body. Nothing like the Shelby and quite nasty (not in a good way) if you ask me. Those side panels are hideous. IMHO.

I agree 100% with you on that one.....yuck!!

I wonder if the SAI widebody would still utilize the Super Snake CF rockers?

Big difference IMO between the black one Jer showed pics of on pg 3 of the other thread, and the blue 2013. I like how there is no lip in the rear quarter above the tire on the new version. The lip on the black 07 reminds me of the galpin version.

Thanks for the pics guys, but I must still ask.....are the SS WB conversions going to have inscribed rims?

Big difference IMO between the black one Jer showed pics of on pg 3 of the other thread, and the blue 2013. I like how there is no lip in the rear quarter above the tire on the new version. The lip on the black 07 reminds me of the galpin version.

Thanks for the pics guys, but I must still ask.....are the SS WB conversions going to have inscribed rims?

Good question. Would also like to know if the wide body designation would be included in your CSM #

To help clear the air:

Widebody installs on CSM-numbered cars do not get a designated CSM number change, just as a GT/SC does not. But it IS noted in the Registry as Shelby-installed.

Widebody-only installs on GT500s do not get a CSM number (unless also getting a Super Snake package).

Widebody installs on regular Mustangs do not get a CSM number or Shelby designation, other than a small decklid "Widebody" logo.

The light blue Widebody GTS shown in the picture in Jeff J's post above above was a prototype. That black recessed fake"vent" over the rear fender (right behind the door) has been eliminated.

Jer

To help clear the air:

Widebody installs on CSM-numbered cars do not get a designated CSM number change, just as a GT/SC does not. But it IS noted in the Registry as Shelby-installed.

Widebody-only installs on GT500s do not get a CSM number (unless also getting a Super Snake package).

Widebody installs on regular Mustangs do not get a CSM number or Shelby designation, other than a small decklid "Widebody" logo.

The light blue Widebody GTS shown in the picture in Jeff J's post above above was a prototype. That black recessed fake"vent" over the rear fender (right behind the door) has been eliminated.

Jer

Thanks Jer, that does help!

But Ill ask you this, do the carbon fiber SS rockers stay on widebody SS's?

Best,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Still didn't answer the question as to the wheels on a widebody conversion supersnake. Are they engraved "supersnake"?

Yes. Everything else gets a standard "Shelby" branding on the wheels.

Jer

Will the standard custom car cover for the SS fit over the widebody, or will there be a need for a different size cover?

By my estimation, it SHOULD.

It might ride a little higher on each wheel. As mine sits now, the cover exposes the bottom lip of the rim (is level with the top edge of the bottom lip) so I'm thinking MAYBE it'll pull it up a inch or two per side.

FWIW, you can get cheap wheel covers (made for RV's) at Harbor Frieght if you're worried about having the bottom of the tire & rim exposed. I got a set of 4 for my Toy Hauler for something like 9 bucks. They're canvas with a wire around the inside perimeter to you can "bend" them on the inside to hug each tire closely.

HTH,

Phill

By my estimation, it SHOULD.

It might ride a little higher on each wheel. As mine sits now, the cover exposes the bottom lip of the rim (is level with the top edge of the bottom lip) so I'm thinking MAYBE it'll pull it up a inch or two per side.

FWIW, you can get cheap wheel covers (made for RV's) at Harbor Frieght if you're worried about having the bottom of the tire & rim exposed. I got a set of 4 for my Toy Hauler for something like 9 bucks. They're canvas with a wire around the inside perimeter to you can "bend" them on the inside to hug each tire closely.

HTH,

Phill

Cool, thanks!

I did end up ordering it on Friday....the conversion that is :happy feet:

Archived