TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Bash 2013 driving info/help!

Luke2011

My wife got me tickets to the 2013 bash in Las Vegas. I have some concerns about the trip. Driving from MI in the end of March, weather conditions on the way in MI, Colorado and Utah. I understand the weather changes year to year and that can be impossible to predict. Has anyone driven to the bash from my region? Should I be concerned? Also what's attractions are within a reasonable driving distance that I could see While I'm out in the area. I would like to take some extra time to see the sights since This wil be my 1st time in the area and won't be back again any time soon I'm sure. Any info on the event what to bring what to prepare for would be greatly appreciated. I'n new to the forum and this will be my 1st car event of any kind thanks to my wife :)

thanks in advance!

I think a trip to Death Valley is definitely in order for a great bash diversion. Stay at the Furnace Creek Inn, a classic with great food. On the way, make sure to stop at Ron's track in Pahrump, and if you don't have tickets for the track, get them. You will soon realize you are not in Michigan anymore...... :happy feet:

Congratulations on the tickets. Consider going further south and catch I-40 somewhere south of Michigan probably Oklahoma. I-70 through Colorado and Utah in March through the mountain passes has considerable potential for unfavorable weather conditions - even when the forecast says sunny and 0% chance of precipitation. If you take 40 when you get to Kingman, AZ, you can go northwest on 93 and see the Hoover Dam and the Pat Tillman memorial bridge.

Congratulations on the tickets. Consider going further south and catch I-40 somewhere south of Michigan probably Oklahoma. I-70 through Colorado and Utah in March through the mountain passes has considerable potential for unfavorable weather conditions - even when the forecast says sunny and 0% chance of precipitation. If you take 40 when you get to Kingman, AZ, you can go northwest on 93 and see the Hoover Dam and the Pat Tillman memorial bridge.

Thanks for the tip, I can hit I-44 down in St.Louis to Oklahoma and get on I-40. Should be a lot less chance of hazardous weather.

Thanks for the tip, I can hit I-44 down in St.Louis to Oklahoma and get on I-40. Should be a lot less chance of hazardous weather.

Except when Northern AZ gets hit hard and they shut it down from Kingman to Winslow... Had that happen last year and had to detour thru UT & CO to get back to KC on I-70... Otherwise it's I-10 down thru PHX and head East until the Weather clears enough to start heading back to the North... Good Luck and give yourself at least an "extra" travel day for each leg of the trip...

Take the southern route as the others have mentioned, then join the caravan from Palm Springs into Vegas for the pre-bash cruise

See Pacific Region sub-forum for thread and details

Congrats on the present too...

Tom

I would suggest you drive south then west. It's going to be longer but based upon our success last year I think going south to Tulsa OK and taking Rt 40 across is your best bet to ensure no issues. Even then we had some snow issues on the way home that forced us further south to Phoenix and then Rt 10 across TX. If you are determined to no have salt/sand that would be my suggestion with a last minute change to the north IF the weather shows otherwise the day before.

In any case try to find others going to share the trip...we had a cool group and it made for a much more enjoyable ride!

Good luck!

I understand the weather changes year to year and that can be impossible to predict. Has anyone driven to the bash from my region? Should I be concerned?

Well, actually that's incorrect. Through the Rockies, it changes from day to day and sometimes hour to hour.

The drive on I70 from basically Denver to Glenwood Springs can be a very tough call. I've started in sunlight and 50s in Glenwood and ran into a major blizzard - trucks were chaining up before Vail - and then ice after the tunnel to Denver.

Your best bet will be to closely monitor the 5 or 10 day forecast. There are basically three routes:

Denver Route: I70 to I15

Wyoming route: I80 to Salt Lake

New Mexico/AZ route: I25 from Denver to I40 and Albuquerque/Flagstaff.

You can go further south as you've described and track I10, but ultimately you're going to have to get through northern Arizona and that can be sketchy.

Storms that time of year will usually leave one of them open.

If you're going to drive yor GT500 I'd strongly encourage you to avoid snow and cold road conditions. These are not cold weather cars.

New Mexico/AZ route: I25 from Denver to I40 and Albuquerque/Flagstaff.

You can go further south as you've described and track I10, but ultimately you're going to have to get through northern Arizona and that can be sketchy.

Storms that time of year will usually leave one of them open.

If you're going to drive yor GT500 I'd strongly encourage you to avoid snow and cold road conditions. These are not cold weather cars.

We had great weather through I40 last year BUT as you said we had the same clear road closed 6 days later with snow in Flagstaff and had to go south to I10.

- trucks were chaining up before Vail - and then ice after the tunnel to Denver.

These are not cold weather cars.

Chains??? We don't need no stinkin' Chains :camera: Except the "safety" ones attached to the trailer :drop:

post-8727-0-06398500-1356650337_thumb.jpg

Picture taken at the TOP of Vail Pass (Approx 10,000')... Good Luck!!!

Congrats on getting your tickets for the 2013 Bash! You certainly have a long challenging drive to attend! I know from all accounts that it will be awesome and well worth the trip. I have agonized on wanting to go down and do th whole Bash, including the LA to Vegas drive. I too would have to drive drive possible winter highways through mountain passes to get down to California(i live in the Okanagan valley in the Interior of British Columbia,Canada. Not being a lover of winter driving, i certainly would not even contemplate running my car or any other performance car in anything other than dry to possible showery weather. Those cars do not stay on the road very well at all!!! I eould love it if the Bash was held at a later date say late April through to early June so that those of us who do not live in almost year round "Summer" could make to long trip more appealing!

What is sketchy about northern Arizona. Thanks for all the insight on route options. Do most guys that have come from the east ship there cars out there? Not sure If I can afford to ship the car there and back. I had the shelby shipped to me when I bought it and that wasn't cheap. All this talk about the road conditions has me a little worried.....

Take the southern route as the others have mentioned, then join the caravan from Palm Springs into Vegas for the pre-bash cruise

Tom

I'll look into this maybe I can meet them on there route.

thanks

Congrats on getting your tickets for the 2013 Bash! You certainly have a long challenging drive to attend! I know from all accounts that it will be awesome and well worth the trip. I have agonized on wanting to go down and do th whole Bash, including the LA to Vegas drive. I too would have to drive drive possible winter highways through mountain passes to get down to California(i live in the Okanagan valley in the Interior of British Columbia,Canada. Not being a lover of winter driving, i certainly would not even contemplate running my car or any other performance car in anything other than dry to possible showery weather. Those cars do not stay on the road very well at all!!! I eould love it if the Bash was held at a later date say late April through to early June so that those of us who do not live in almost year round "Summer" could make to long trip more appealing!

I'm also worried about driving in cold weather and hazardous conditions. The bad part is I will have to chose my route on the fly for portions of the trip. Time shouldn't be an issue but the shortest route is still 29 hours and it just gets longer from there. That's a lot of seat time in a Shelby!

Congradulations on the tickets! The Bash is a lot of fun and there's plenty to do in Vegas. Two track days is the way to go (smart wife). Make sure you have a helmut and fire extinguisher before you get there.

Do you have to have a helmet for the track?

I was considering doing the 1st annual bash in WV this year but the Vegas bash would be more of a dream come true and that's what my wife intended by giving me this gift. I'm sure the WV bash will be fun but it is the 1st one and it's not VEGAS! June driving would be a lot less risky than march. Anyone have any input on the WV Bash? What would you guys do if you had to choose? I'm paranoid about snow conditions on the way.

What is sketchy about northern Arizona. Thanks for all the insight on route options. Do most guys that have come from the east ship there cars out there? Not sure If I can afford to ship the car there and back. I had the shelby shipped to me when I bought it and that wasn't cheap. All this talk about the road conditions has me a little worried.....

Northern AZ can be warm and sunny, as it was on our way out last year, or snow and cold as it was on our way home. Just meant a detour!

If you allocate time and go south, based upon my last two times, you should be fine. That said I went one year without my car and STILL had a great time! There are always people that will take you on a "ride-along" at the track etc., and it's all about the people. The cars? Well...they all look the same...just different colors. ;-)

Drive down south to Arkansas and join our group for the drive west. It will take you about 14 hours to get here. You can stay here overnight and depart the next day for a total travel time of 2.5 days with two nights of full 8 hour rest.

:-)

I would'nt want to be trying to scare you,honedtly! I know ftom real time experience that if you run into bad weather on any road especially in a performance type vehicle( such as a powerful mustang) you will find any kind of slippery or snowey road real scarey. Its worth taking that into consideration. I personally would look at hiring a car trailer and hauling it with my Raptor to make my trip a little less hairy!!!

I would'nt want to be trying to scare you,honedtly! I know ftom real time experience that if you run into bad weather on any road especially in a performance type vehicle( such as a powerful mustang) you will find any kind of slippery or snowey road real scarey. Its worth taking that into consideration. I personally would look at hiring a car trailer and hauling it with my Raptor to make my trip a little less hairy!!!

Tom

Tom

What Tom is suggesting would be the best option - avoid any potential bad weather and meet in Palm Springs for the pre-Bash cruise. Those Pacific Coast guys know how to host a social gathering. It would be worth the extra time, and you could meet up with the caravan coming over on I-10.

Yes, you need a helmut for the track. The best suggestion I saw was getting together and meeting up with the group heading west. There is safety in numbers and it's way more fun to travel that way. Everybody has had a first time, just do it!

Yes, you need a helmut for the track. The best suggestion I saw was getting together and meeting up with the group heading west. There is safety in numbers and it's way more fun to travel that way. Everybody has had a first time, just do it!

From stories I have heard about previous Bash "cruises" in and out, you need a helmet for most all driving with this crowd.... :happy feet:

Northern AZ can be warm and sunny, as it was on our way out last year, or snow and cold as it was on our way home. Just meant a detour!

If you allocate time and go south, based upon my last two times, you should be fine. That said I went one year without my car and STILL had a great time! There are always people that will take you on a "ride-along" at the track etc., and it's all about the people. The cars? Well...they all look the same...just different colors. ;-)

Drive down south to Arkansas and join our group for the drive west. It will take you about 14 hours to get here. You can stay here overnight and depart the next day for a total travel time of 2.5 days with two nights of full 8 hour rest.

:-)

when will you be arriving in Arkansas? Do you drive the rest of the day after you leave from there? This might be a god option, where is your group coming from? Thanks for all the info :)

We drove out last year - from S. IN it took 2.5 days. We used an F-350 with a gooseneck car hauler (enclosed). I LOVE driving but I gotta tell you, after that one I swore I would never do anything like that again. Took 40 out and 70 back. Both routes were fine weather-wise but as many on here have pointed out, weather is fickle ESPECIALLY at higher elevations. Have you noticed the extreme swings in weather lately? In my opinion driving the Shelby is an incredibly bad idea. The bash is a great experience and worth going to but please arrange either a trailer or transportation for your car. You won't regret it.

P.S. Driving thru OK, TX & NM on 40 is soooooo boring it will make you want to shoot yourself!

Archived