TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 GT500 Clutch question

UMGriz

Hey guys I have a 08 GT500 that i just recently started to hear the clutch squeak when letting it out in 1st gear...before I go spend money what should I do? Or if someone can tell me whats going on...It only happens in 1st gear and the rest I don't hear anything else. Please help, I have a trip to FL in Jan. and want to make sure its good to go before hand.

Thanks

does the noise appear when the pedal is moving or when the clutch starts to engage ? A pilot bearing will make a chirp / squeal when the car starts to move / clutch engaging . ( letting out the clutch is engaging the clutch ) how many miles on the car / clutch ?

Odd.

Sounds like it could be the Concentric Slave Cylinder.

Try this. Before starting the car pump the clutch pedal 12-15 times slowly. Then pump the brake pedal 3-4 times till it gets hard. Then start the car and drive it and see if it does it. Do that each time you drive the car for the next few drives and see if that makes it go away.

Odd.

Sounds like it could be the Concentric Slave Cylinder.

Try this. Before starting the car pump the clutch pedal 12-15 times slowly. Then pump the brake pedal 3-4 times till it gets hard. Then start the car and drive it and see if it does it. Do that each time you drive the car for the next few drives and see if that makes it go away.

Do you think if that does the trick we are ok or do you think I should start looking at a new clutch upgrade? I really don't want to spend the money for a new clutch but...

Do you think if that does the trick we are ok or do you think I should start looking at a new clutch upgrade? I really don't want to spend the money for a new clutch but...

Unless you are feeling the clutch slip in higher gears when you romp on the RPM's I think you would be fine to go on the trip. However since you are on your original clutch....it could give you troubles at any time. Some originals last 20-40K and some go out early. Personally, if the noise goes away by pumping the fluids up a bit, I would go on the trip as long as the clutch is not slipping.

Here is a thread that I posted on how to get a new 2010 clutch installed for under $1500 bucks.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76365-clutch-drag-tsb-4th-revision-143818-if-you-have-to-pay-for-it/#entry1332922

Unless you are feeling the clutch slip in higher gears when you romp on the RPM's I think you would be fine to go on the trip. However since you are on your original clutch....it could give you troubles at any time. Some originals last 20-40K and some go out early. Personally, if the noise goes away by pumping the fluids up a bit, I would go on the trip as long as the clutch is not slipping.

Here is a thread that I posted on how to get a new 2010 clutch installed for under $1500 bucks.

http://www.teamshelb...t/#entry1332922

Thank Grabber!!!!

Your welcome. Let us know if the chirp goes away. Also check the brake master cylinder fluid level. That reservoir is shared for the clutch fluids. How many miles is your trip ?

Ok did what you told me to do and it worked for a little bit then it came back. I checked the fluid level and all is good with that. Another suggestions? The squeak is still there but it's not as bad.

Ok did what you told me to do and it worked for a little bit then it came back. I checked the fluid level and all is good with that. Another suggestions? The squeak is still there but it's not as bad.

Keep doing it for the next week while you drive the car. It may or may not go away. You could have your dealer vacuum bleed the clutch thru the brake reservoir to see if he can get any air out of the hydrolic line that might be causing this noise / squeek.

Keep doing it for the next week while you drive the car. It may or may not go away. You could have your dealer vacuum bleed the clutch thru the brake reservoir to see if he can get any air out of the hydrolic line that might be causing this noise / squeek.

Will do. Thanks again

Well I decided that I'm just going to change out the clutch and shifter all at one time....I know this clutch will probably last a bit longer but I don't wan to risk it if I can help it. I'm going to install the McLeod RXT and a Barton Shifter. This car will be with me for a very long time to come so why the hell not! LOL Thanks everyone for your input!!

Well I decided that I'm just going to change out the clutch and shifter all at one time....I know this clutch will probably last a bit longer but I don't wan to risk it if I can help it. I'm going to install the McLeod RXT and a Barton Shifter. This car will be with me for a very long time to come so why the hell not! LOL Thanks everyone for your input!!

Doing the same in the next few weeks for my 07, minus the Barton shifter. Have the Ford racing short throw already.

My dealer quoted me $500 for labor if I had all of the parts.

Seems like a good deal. Just have to get the additional parts per Grabbers list. Plus the Royal Purple.

Nice to see you're continuing to improve your beast! My clutch started slipping last summer, and I just recently ordered up a Spec clutch for mine. Put the Shelby up on ramps over the weekend, hopefully soon I will roll up my sleeves and get to it. It kills me that I've only put on 200 miles in the last year! This year will be different...

I see you went to dark wheels too. I got a set of SVTPP wheels, just put new Michelins on the rear ones. Those will go on after the clutch is broken in and I've had a chance to fry the old tires just a bit. :D

Nice to see you're continuing to improve your beast! My clutch started slipping last summer, and I just recently ordered up a Spec clutch for mine. Put the Shelby up on ramps over the weekend, hopefully soon I will roll up my sleeves and get to it. It kills me that I've only put on 200 miles in the last year! This year will be different...

I see you went to dark wheels too. I got a set of SVTPP wheels, just put new Michelins on the rear ones. Those will go on after the clutch is broken in and I've had a chance to fry the old tires just a bit. :D

Hey buddy,

Let me know how the install turns out. I'm looking forward to a great car season this spring and summer. also going to push out the meet and greet for better weather. Late July or early August.

Archived