TEAM SHELBY FORUM

California DMV Legacy License plate program, Black, Blue, Yellow

Cali_KR

Finally, some positive news out of the DMV...

The state has developed this program to get vintage-look plates for any year vehicle. You can get gold/black, black/gold, or blue/gold, personalized or sequential for $50. If the program gets 7500 pre-paid applications before January 2015, the program goes forward.

Getting the black with gold letter for my GTH, and the Blue one for my silver/blue KR is going to look perfect!

http://www.dmv.ca.go...al/home/dmv.htm

Here is the application

http://apps.dmv.ca.g.../reg/reg17L.pdf

legacy_index_banner.jpg

legacy_index_banner.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally, some positive news out of the DMV...

The state has developed this program to get vintage-look plates for any year vehicle. You can get gold/black, black/gold, or blue/gold, personalized or sequential for $50. If the program gets 7500 pre-paid applications before January 2015, the program goes forward.

Getting the black with gold letter for my GTH, and the Blue one for my silver/blue KR is going to look perfect!

http://www.dmv.ca.go...al/home/dmv.htm

Here is the application

http://apps.dmv.ca.g.../reg/reg17L.pdf

Yes Tom, black & gold will look great on GT-H's. Unfortunately I don't think the vintage plates will look as good on white SGT's or GT500's,IMO (the blue one maybe).

But if I had a black Car...

Dan

Good work Tom! I always wondered why my Falcon had the 70's blue plates. Now I might be able to get them Black/Gold. Maybe Black/Gold on the 302 as well just for fun.

Most people don't realize this but you can paint your Blue & Yellow plates, Black w/yellow letters. LEGALLY.

I found that out one year at the Oakland Grand National Roadster (car) Show. There was a whole group of Motorcycle Club members (club name unknown) that had their bikes modified to appear old/antique and if you looked at the black/yellow plates, a couple were VERY obviously painted. I asked the guys about it and they said DMV told them as long as the numbers match the vehicle registration, DMV could care less what colors they are.

I had a old VW Bug with a pair of old worn out (rusted) black/yellow plates. I went to get a new set of plates but the DMV would only issue the new white w/red letter plate. I asked if I could refurbish my OE plates and the told me the same thing the MC group did.

And it's REALLY easy to do, as long as you have the letters/numbers that are STAMPED into the metal (not like the new ones that are just flat w/text painted on).

So since you have a set of the Blue w/yellow lettered plates, you can easily paint them black & yellow. Heck, if your numbers/letters are in good shape, just mask them and paint the base color black.

I had a glass bead cabinet to strip my plates to bare metal and that helped make them look real nice. About any automotive machine shop has a blasting cabinet so that would be easy to get done.

Phill

Thanks for sharing, Tom -- wonderful news! (Pre-ordered my plates today). Keeping my fingers crossed that we get enough applications by Jan., 2015...

Cheers,

Martin

All of the vintage/classic/muscle/special interest cars in this state...I think getting to 7500 is a slam dunk, and at $50, a no-brainer decision

The only thing I would be wary of is that there is a strong likelihood the type faces on newly-made personalized plates will not match the original black/yellow and blue/yellow plates. A while back I wanted to replace my "FLICK U" plates with modern reflectorized versions. When they arrived, the " I " had sprouted crossbars top and bottom, ruining the effect. I sent them back.

Couple months ago I painted the old ones and reflectorized them with strips of yellow tape. They don't look that bad, although the shade of blue appears a little faded compared to the official color. I once followed a 60s VW van with plates faded so the blue is sky-like and the yellow has disappeared.

8087228799_8ac7767c9a_z.jpg

Very cool. It seems like a LONG time to wait 2 years to see if the program will fly (2015). I would guess they could get that number of plates within a few months. It will be interesting to see what happens. I wish Indiana would do the same. I really hate our smooth sticker-like license plates and would love to have the stamped letters again.

Below is a link to a L.A. Times newspaper article on these plates.

According to the article there will also be a $40 per year retention fee so it appears they are treating these "Legacy Plates" as personalized/vanity plates.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-1229-dmv-plates-20121229,0,5690015.story

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Most people don't realize this but you can paint your Blue & Yellow plates, Black w/yellow letters. LEGALLY.

I found that out one year at the Oakland Grand National Roadster (car) Show. There was a whole group of Motorcycle Club members (club name unknown) that had their bikes modified to appear old/antique and if you looked at the black/yellow plates, a couple were VERY obviously painted. I asked the guys about it and they said DMV told them as long as the numbers match the vehicle registration, DMV could care less what colors they are.

I had a old VW Bug with a pair of old worn out (rusted) black/yellow plates. I went to get a new set of plates but the DMV would only issue the new white w/red letter plate. I asked if I could refurbish my OE plates and the told me the same thing the MC group did.

And it's REALLY easy to do, as long as you have the letters/numbers that are STAMPED into the metal (not like the new ones that are just flat w/text painted on).

So since you have a set of the Blue w/yellow lettered plates, you can easily paint them black & yellow. Heck, if your numbers/letters are in good shape, just mask them and paint the base color black.

I had a glass bead cabinet to strip my plates to bare metal and that helped make them look real nice. About any automotive machine shop has a blasting cabinet so that would be easy to get done.

Phill

I did this about 15 years ago--made my blue/yellow plates into black/yellow plates. A friend is a CHP and said it was ok to do, they would not pull you over for that. It has to look professional and close to the correct color.

I did this about 15 years ago--made my blue/yellow plates into black/yellow plates. A friend is a CHP and said it was ok to do, they would not pull you over for that. It has to look professional and close to the correct color.

Yep. There is NOTHING on your registration that distinguishes what color of plates you have on your car.

The NUMBER is what is important. And beware, you can't *legally* add symbols, like a hyphen for instance. I've seen it done but you stand the chance of being charged with altering a plate (whatever the charge is).

Phill

• 4 months later...

FYI: We're still far short of the number of pre-orders needed for the legacy plates to go into production (see # of orders here: http://www.dmv.ca.go...lates/index.htm). Personally, I'm a bit surprised by the lack of response, but I'm hearing that the CA DMV isn't making any efforts to advertise the program to the public (probably budget-related). I plan to post reminders on Facebook and to also tell people at car shows about the program, to see if it helps...

• 4 weeks later...

I just printed out 3 pre-order forms. One for 12 BOSS, one for FAT DESL, and the other for 64PLICN. They've got over 5,000 out of the 7,500 required with a year and a half to go so I'm pretty optimistic at this point.

Excellent choices for your plates! Agreed that we shouldn't have a problem reaching the minimum of 7,500 pre-orders by Jan. 1, 2015 (for some reason I was thinking 2014). The one source of confusion is the "# of pre-orders" criteria for getting a plate manufactured. Per AB-1658:

The department shall not establish the California Legacy License Plate Program until the department has received not less than 7,500 paid applications for plates. The department shall collect and hold applications for the plates. The department shall not issue a specialized license plate until it has received not less than 7,500 paid applications for any one of the particular plates within the time period prescribed in this section.

I perfectly understand that 7,500 paid applications (i.e., pre-orders) are needed by Jan. 1, 2015 to establish the California Legacy License Plate Program. The one thing that's not clear in the legislation above -- to issue the specialized legacy plates, a minimum of 7,500 pre-orders are needed for:

• A specific legacy plate (e.g., 1960's plate needs 7,500 pre-orders to get that plate issued). Each type of legacy plate would require a minimum of 7,500 pre-orders for it to be issued.
  • Any one of the legacy plates to get all of the plates issued (e.g., 1960's plate reaches 7,500 pre-orders first, and as a result, the 1950's and 1970's plates will also be issued).

Any clarification is greatly appreciated...

• 2 weeks later...

My wife surprised me with my fathers day gift yesterday. I get to order a plate for my car :happy feet: I am going with the 60's BLACK and GOLD to match my '65 Stang. It will be personalized and since my car is a GT350 tribute, I will say something to pay tribute to Carroll Shelby :worship: It will not say anything like " GT350" or " 65GT350 " out of respect :salute: for real Shelby owners, to Carroll Shelby, or to fool anyone for that matter. I thought hard :idea: and came up with something cool and will post it once the paperwork is turned in. I will be turning in my paperwork to the DMV some time this week. It may sound silly, but I am really excited like " a little kid waiting for Christmas ". Hope we all get our plates in 2015 :hi5:

Thank you for the wonderful comment WYTSNKE. What color or era plate are you going with? Are you going to personalize it or get any random plate number? I am going to PM you my choice. If you don't mind, I would like your opinion of what looks better before I go to the DMV.

You're welcome, Dennis! (Got your PM and responded). I'm also going with the 1960s legacy plates and using my CSM #: SGT 2232 (half space between SGT and 2232). Figured that it was a fitting tribute without using something too generic or obvious such as SHLBYGT ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I sent off for the plates. I hope we all get them! I thought since these are called "Legacy" plates, and my car is a tribute, I thought my choice was only fitting and a way of saying "Thank you Shelby!" Had he never taken the chance of changing a mule into a racehorse, I would not be driving my dream car today My new plate will read; 2ONR CS

Well, I sent off for the plates. I hope we all get them! I thought since these are called "Legacy" plates, and my car is a tribute, I thought my choice was only fitting and a way of saying "Thank you Shelby!" Had he never taken the chance of changing a mule into a racehorse, I would not be driving my dream car today My new plate will read; 2ONR CS

Nicely done.

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I painted my blue/yellow plates blk/yellow for my Shelby, never any trouble. I got the plates back in the late 70's and kept them all this time, hate to think what I have paid to keep them. haha. Are the new plates raised letters? I have heard both ways from DMV people. Just curious.

Are the new plates raised letters?

I know the "California" part isn't raised. I *think* the letters/numbers still are though.

Phill

I think it's going to happen, based on how many have sold so far and in the past month alone.

Right now the website shows 5576 of the 7500 needed have been registered. Over the last month the total has gone up about 6% and is now at about 74%. With 14 months to go we're in great shape if the trend continues.

DMVPlates_zps30f85da4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived