TEAM SHELBY FORUM

cold weather driving - am I asking for trouble??

blk12svt

Normally, I wouldn't even consider driving the Shelby tonight but our daughter needs to borrow the wifes SUV leaving only the '12 Shelby to drive to a Christmas party. Actually have my daily driver, a F250 diesel, but wife refuses to arrive in that... Anyway, supposed to be mid 20's when party breaks up and just wondering if I drive sanely will I have any problems with the oem Goodyears. I am having visions of coming out at 10 or 11 pm and tires being flat or something due to the cold. It only has 1200 miles on it and sits in a heated garage. Haven't driven it in about two months so I know I'll have a low left front tire to air up before I leave home. Thanks

It's just a car and they are made to operate in cooler weather. Just air up your tires beforehand to the proper pressure, let the car warm up a bit after starting it up and you'll be good to go. Remember the car does have a ton of power so be a responsible driver and you'll be fine. Try to get on it hard while you leave the party, and your friends will be coming down to get you out of the ditch.

Lastly, have fun. I'm sure everyone will be jealous of your super awesome ride. :-)

If your looking at a temp of 20 or below I would take the truck, no one at the party will care what you leave in, don't chance it it's not worth it.

It's just a car and they are made to operate in cooler weather. Just air up your tires beforehand to the proper pressure, let the car warm up a bit after starting it up and you'll be good to go. Remember the car does have a ton of power so be a responsible driver and you'll be fine. Try to get on it hard while you leave the party, and your friends will be coming down to get you out of the ditch.

Lastly, have fun. I'm sure everyone will be jealous of your super awesome ride. :-)

Well, sort of. The owners manual has specific language about driving in lower temps. I think it warns about 40*F... The tires at those temps are hockey pucks and will break loose in an instant on cold pavement. Be very careful.

I drove mine yesterday in upper 40's and traction was a problem! Luckily, I discovered it early when I left the house and drove alot more conservative and if your wife wants to arrive in Luxury it's a Lexus not a Cadillac unless you are going to a 70's party. :)

Go ahead and take it out for the drive. If the roads are clean and dry go for it. I drive mine all the time at those temps and lower with stock Goodyear. Take your time on ramps and corners and you will be fine. Contrary to popular belief, one can drive the car without spinning the rears. Easy on th throttle.

It was 29 when I got out this morning in mine. Still some icy spots in the carwash. Just drive with caution.....cold, rain, even dry, geeze even a normal Mustang has traction issues! If I've been out when it's cold and spinning the tires, it's because I was trying to.....

Happy to report the whole tire thing was totally uneventfull. I could tell the tires were harder and could feel the ripples in the road more but certainly not like driving on ice as I was expecting. As long as you keep that boost needle on the peg I wouldn't be afraid to drive it in any temps and that's one of the things I like about the Shelby is it's streetability. It's like driving a Taurus around town until you put your foot in it. It was 37 going and 28 degrees one the way home and I couldn't tell any difference. Thanks for all the advice and input but just stay out of the boost and you'll be fine.

Happy to report the whole tire thing was totally uneventfull. I could tell the tires were harder and could feel the ripples in the road more but certainly not like driving on ice as I was expecting. As long as you keep that boost needle on the peg I wouldn't be afraid to drive it in any temps and that's one of the things I like about the Shelby is it's streetability. It's like driving a Taurus around town until you put your foot in it. It was 37 going and 28 degrees one the way home and I couldn't tell any difference. Thanks for all the advice and input but just stay out of the boost and you'll be fine.

Yup... That's what I figured the world didn't end last night! Glad you enjoyed it. :rockon:

Archived