TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carroll Shelby Autograph???

Redlinetoys

Not really, I've seen many a dash signed in late model cars with no paper trail at all. Both in cars he has sat in, and on dashes placed in front of him. Now dashes sent to the foundation, yes should have a COA with them.

Yup had him sign my 68` in 1982 & other items back then have some pictures but not everyone . The best thing is I know they are authentic ,I was there.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to pop your dream but Carroll Shelby's Signature is FAR from Rare. I must have about 50 items Signed (some where packed away) from over the years and that does NOT include all the TES Certificates. Between the Signings in Person and what People sent to him in the Mail, I would venture a guess that He has Autographed about a Half Million or More items.

You misunderstood me ....when I said rare I didnt want to mean that his signature on items are rare.....As matter as fact I have a dozen "originals" signatures (less than you). I want to meant that this particular signature (in reference of this thread) looks rare/fake...

You misunderstood me ....when I said rare I didnt want to mean that his signature on items are rare.....As matter as fact I have a dozen "originals" signatures (less than you). I want to meant that this particular signature (in reference of this thread) looks rare/fake...

Okie-Dokie.........

there are obviously very distinct differences in the signatures currently being offered, as pictured at the start of this thread.

The one's "Pictured" at the starting of this Post are of TS Members Cars & Items.........It's the one's in the Links in the first Post that are being questioned.

I'm pretty sure the certificate of authenticity program for things signed at the foundation didn't start until after 2008. I sent both of my air bag covers in early 2008 and neither came with a cert. They then went on to Barrett Jackson for Craig and Steve to sign then to Vegas for Amy. They were all in the picture (also signed by all) thAt came with the bj cars. But no certificate

You might check with Jenni at the Foundation office. COA started back in the late 1990s when the Foundation, which has changed names over the years, began issuing them. They were not given out when CS was doing signatures at events.

I'm pretty sure the certificate of authenticity program for things signed at the foundation didn't start until after 2008. I sent both of my air bag covers in early 2008 and neither came with a cert. They then went on to Barrett Jackson for Craig and Steve to sign then to Vegas for Amy. They were all in the picture (also signed by all) thAt came with the bj cars. But no certificate

If you look at some of the Ebay Auctions, you will see come COA's back to 2002 BUT, like you, I have yet to get a Certificate from the Foundation and was wondering if you had to Ask for one in advance or if you had to pay extra for one. Most of my items were signed in person, or sent to his home, a few items were sent to the Foundation when it was called the "Carroll Shelby Childrens Foundation" but when I got them back there were no COA's. When I shipped them several items in one Box, I included a Return Lable AND Pre-Paid Postage but neither were used when they shipped the items back in the same Box.

One states it is a reprint of the original. At least they are honest. The other states it is the actual photo and signature.

Au contraire; the photo depicting Steve McQueen and CS states;

THE BEST AND MOST AMAZING AUTOGRAPHED CELEBRITY REPRINTS YOU WILL FIND

EXCELLENT REPRODUCTION OF THE ORIGINAL

ALL are Reproductions ......

I contacted the seller of the McQueen/CS photo and he stated the photo and signature are a reproduction.

But the real question is, does the seller have a photo with McQueen's & Shelby's actual signatures? My personal opinion is no. It appears he has photoshopped reproduction signatures onto this 1960's Venice California photo.

Steve

But the real question is, does the seller have a photo with McQueen's & Shelby's actual signatures? My personal opinion is no. It appears he has photoshopped reproduction signatures onto this 1960's Venice California photo.

Steve

PLUS: I have "NEVER" seen a Signature with that "C" and those very short "L's" before.

Just to add to the mess of questionable signatures vs. real ones....

I spent the morning at the Shelby Museum and went on the tour again.

Surprised myself it was 5 years ago almost to the day that I was there before...

Anyway, at the end of the tour and after the guide finished talking about the upcoming wide body program being introduced,

he mentioned that they have a machine that will sign memorablilia with Carroll's simulated signature through the Carroll Shelby Foundation.

This throws a whole new twist into the signature pot.

Surprised myself it was 5 years ago almost to the day that I was there before...

Anyway, at the end of the tour and after the guide finished talking about the upcoming wide body program being introduced,

he mentioned that they have a machine that will sign memorablilia with Carroll's simulated signature through the Carroll Shelby Foundation.

The "auto pen" signatures have been available for some time. Maybe they are working on something what will handle more surfaces. That would be cool.

Do a search on Autopen. You will see that this has been discussed here quite a bit already. You can tell the autopen signatures by three hash marks in the underline. So not really a whole new twist. You can tell the autopen sigs by this.

I've been collecting sports memorabilia/autographs for over 30 years and have seen a lot of auto-pen items. Depending on what machine they use, you can tell those from real autographs. Signatures being "too perfect" or have odd pressure/skips. Try signing your own name about 30 times and compare. You can't sign everything the same everytime. Athletes will take items such as photos and other flat items as those are the easiest items to feed through an auto-pen. Not too different than some athletes getting ball boys and other attendants signing mailed in items for fans.

I sent in a poster print of my car from the 45th Anniversary in Birmingham to be signed by Mr. Shelby a few years ago. It is now hanging in my garage with the COA inside the frame, so I wouldn't lose it. About 4-5 months ago, I picked up an interesting piece, a Car Show Plaque Trophy from a SCCA event signed by Mr. Shelby. Don't know if the signature is real or fake. Got it for the unusual memorabilia piece. Wasn't very expensive either.

Speking of Shelby autographs...................

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19d7d0439d

Something is just not looking right with the pictured "autograph" but then when you read the auction description all kinds of red flags appear. I've highlighted in red some of these red flags.

From the sellers auction description:

Here is a brand new never displayed Carroll Shelby hand signed 11x17 Photograph of Mr. Shelby with the Shelby GR-1 Concept car that is basically the concept car based on the Daytona Coupe. This photo was signed at the Shelby American 50th Anniversary in Las Vegas in March 2012. It is likely one of Mr. Shelby's last autographs since his autograph program benefitting his charity was suspended shortly thereafter and his death in May. The autograph is large and very nice in dark black. I do not have a Certificate of Authenticity for this item, but I guarantee it is authentic. I have also sent photos of this item to PAAS, which is an authentication service here on Ebay. Here is what they had to say based on the photos of the item,

Likely to be genuine: Our authenticators believe that the item, if physically submitted to P.A.A.S. for examination, would likely receive our certificate of authenticity.

Seems this seller is using the word "likely" as an way out if ever questioned on his claims.

Steve

Speking of Shelby autographs...................

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19d7d0439d

Something is just not looking right with the pictured "autograph" but then when you read the auction description all kinds of red flags appear. I've highlighted in red some of these red flags.

From the sellers auction description:

Here is a brand new never displayed Carroll Shelby hand signed 11x17 Photograph of Mr. Shelby with the Shelby GR-1 Concept car that is basically the concept car based on the Daytona Coupe. This photo was signed at the Shelby American 50th Anniversary in Las Vegas in March 2012. It is likely one of Mr. Shelby's last autographs since his autograph program benefitting his charity was suspended shortly thereafter and his death in May. The autograph is large and very nice in dark black. I do not have a Certificate of Authenticity for this item, but I guarantee it is authentic. I have also sent photos of this item to PAAS, which is an authentication service here on Ebay. Here is what they had to say based on the photos of the item,

Likely to be genuine: Our authenticators believe that the item, if physically submitted to P.A.A.S. for examination, would likely receive our certificate of authenticity.

Seems this seller is using the word "likely" as an way out if ever questioned on his claims.

Steve

Ha ha.... Yea I would say that this may be questionable seeing as Carroll was not even there!

Archived