TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carroll Shelby Autograph???

Redlinetoys

I have noticed a lot of interesting ebay auctions with Mr. Shelby's autograph on them lately. I know his handwriting always looked a little different each time, but it always had that "flavor" where you could tell it was the real thing.

A quick ebay search for "Carroll Shelby Signed", or "Carroll Shelby Autograph" will turn up some interesting items right now. Two different autographs are being sold under separate auction with the same numbered certificate on each one by the same seller (with ZERO feedback), and people are bidding on them. One of these auctions has a photo of Carroll signing a completely different dash than the two he is selling, but the seller is willing to provide a copy of the photograph if you want (?!?!?!?) That first photo I posted of Shelby and the second photo with the autograph are supposedly the same dash (!)

Another seller with an interesting autograph states that the certificate was lost in a flood, but he has a photo of it for the auction. If these are fakes, it bothers me that they are being blatantly sold, but it bothers me WAY more that people are bidding on them.

I don't know, perhaps the seller is here at Team Shelby and can comment, and maybe my opinion is way off. What do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

post-24787-0-30719700-1355888639_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-66730600-1355888825_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-17302000-1355888852_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-24982700-1355888858_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-30719700-1355888639_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-66730600-1355888825_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-17302000-1355888852_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-24982700-1355888858_thumb.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's just the thickness of the pen used but the eBay ones just don't look right.

Also note that a couple of the COA's are different to the ones I have - an earlier design perhaps or just a bad forgery?

I know the Auctions with the "FLOOD" you are talking about, the Guy also uses TWO other Names as well, He also has the Silver Diecast GLH.

I have MANY items signed by CS (several on Ebay :cry:), as well as many Certificates for the Tribute Edition Shelby's that He signed for me and if you look closely at them all, you will see differences in them, some more drastic then others. Just looking at the ones posted here I can see major differences in the "C", the "S", the "H" and the "Y". A major difference is some of the Sigs posted here, the "S" & "H" in Shelby are joined with no lift of the Paint Pen and in some they are not Joined and in a couple of them, there is a Gap between the two letters. You have to factor in "WHAT" He is signing, How He is sitting when He is Signing, what He is signing with and HOW MANY signatures has He signed before He got to YOUR item.

I do find it ODD that the Guy on Ebay put the items in a Safe BUT the Certificates in a BOX in an area that would Flood. I have notcied that several Items show the same certificat Number & Date. YES, CSCF has used several different Certificates over the Years.

For me it looks like fake....i have too many items signed by Mr. Shelby and this signature is very rare.....

Sorry to pop your dream but Carroll Shelby's Signature is FAR from Rare. I must have about 50 items Signed (some where packed away) from over the years and that does NOT include all the TES Certificates. Between the Signings in Person and what People sent to him in the Mail, I would venture a guess that He has Autographed about a Half Million or More items.

What is y'alls take on the "auto-pen" signature that Shelby is/will be offering on dash plaques and the like?

If coming from Shelby should these 'auto-pen' signatures carry some mark that clearly identifies them as such and not a 'genuine' hand written signature (which of course, sadly, can no longer be obtained)?

What is y'alls take on the "auto-pen" signature that Shelby is/will be offering on dash plaques and the like?

If coming from Shelby should these 'auto-pen' signatures carry some mark that clearly identifies them as such and not a 'genuine' hand written signature (which of course, sadly, can no longer be obtained)?

There IS a way to tell if it is by the "Auto-Pen".

When it comes to Carroll's autograph there have been forgeries on eBay, Craigslist, etc and there no doubt will continue to be forgeries in the future. While it wouldn't be right for me to comment on these specific auctions, lets just say I do not plan on placing any bids on them.

Keep in mind the COA card from the CSCF is not the only "paperwork" that can shed some light on the autographed item. If I was interested in an item and the seller told me that he "lost" the COA in a flood, I would then ask for his donation receipt from the CSCF. If he told me that was also lost I then would ask to see a cancelled check or a credit card statement showing the donation sent to the CSCF. If the seller dances around that request I would consider it strike three and walk away from the item.

Speaking of Shelby autographs on ebay. I've noticed since Carroll's passing there have been quite a few sellers who are reproducing Shelby's autograph on various items, such as old photos, and if you look very closely at their auction description they will sneak in the letters "rp" meaning reproduction. I've also noticed that sellers will post a photo of Carroll signing, what they claim is their item, but when you compare the item in the photo to the eBay item you can clearly see that its not the same item. Very shady. And adding the words "stock photo" does not absolve the seller from their dishonesty.

I also like the sellers who keep selling the same item over & over using the same photos. Sometimes they even say they only have one or two left but then you see them sell a half dozen more. I've seen this mainly with people selling plaques.

Unfortunatly there is not much that can be done about these fakes. Just like Ford is not able to do much about the sellers who put reproduction Shelby parts in original Ford boxes claiming that they are NOS parts from the 1960's.

In a nutshell, its buyers beware. It does seem that some dishonest sellers are taking advantage of the holiday gift buying season.

Steve

I have 7 different car parts with Carroll's signature and although they are all similar not one one of them is the same. My wife and I stood for 3 hours in line to get Carroll's Autograph on our airbag covers and if I didn't see him sign both of them I would swear they were sighed by 2 different people. I guess we need to keep in mind that older peoples hands may shake from time to time especially when signing multiple and irregular items. But I do agree with the above comment: Buyer Beware. Everyone needs to investigate and do their homework.

When it comes to Carroll's autograph there have been forgeries on eBay, Craigslist, etc and there no doubt will continue to be forgeries in the future. While it wouldn't be right for me to comment on these specific auctions, lets just say I do not plan on placing any bids on them.

Keep in mind the COA card from the CSCF is not the only "paperwork" that can shed some light on the autographed item. If I was interested in an item and the seller told me that he "lost" the COA in a flood, I would then ask for his donation receipt from the CSCF. If he told me that was also lost I then would ask to see a cancelled check or a credit card statement showing the donation sent to the CSCF. If the seller dances around that request I would consider it strike three and walk away from the item.

Steve

YES, that Donation Receipt has helped my Business on several occasions, BUT, even though I have Donation Receipts, I have yet to get a COA, were those Automatic or did you have to pay extra for one? Some where I think I even have a couple of the Tickets I had to Buy to get His Autograph while at a Show.

I have 7 different car parts with Carroll's signature and although they are all similar not one one of them is the same. My wife and I stood for 3 hours in line to get Carroll's Autograph on our airbag covers and if I didn't see him sign both of them I would swear they were sighed by 2 different people. I guess we need to keep in mind that older peoples hands may shake from time to time especially when signing multiple and irregular items. But I do agree with the above comment: Buyer Beware. Everyone needs to investigate and do their homework.

I remember all to well waiting in Line 2 or 3 Hours sometimes. I must say though, it really made me feel pretty good to see Him smiling and laughing with People as they were getting His Signature even after 3 Hours.

I remember all to well waiting in Line 2 or 3 Hours sometimes. I must say though, it really made me feel pretty good to see Him smiling and laughing with People as they were getting His Signature even after 3 Hours.

+1

YES, that Donation Receipt has helped my Business on several occasions, BUT, even though I have Donation Receipts, I have yet to get a COA, were those Automatic or did you have to pay extra for one? Some where I think I even have a couple of the Tickets I had to Buy to get His Autograph while at a Show.

I believe anything sent to the foundation in the past 5-6 years would be returned with a COA. Just about all of the sigs I have, I also received at personal signings. I don't think anybody ever received a COA at a personal signing. I don't care if I have them or not as I know when I got my signatures and they will always be mine. I do have pics of him signing most of them however.

These bogus signature auctions really get to me. They are doing a disservice to CS' memory and the charity his wonderful charity foundation. I hope they never have a kid in need of a transplant.

I also have scores of signature items, some from the Foundation, some from times before the Foundation/Heart Fund started and some personal items given to me by CS. The greatest change in his signature was in his final year where the lines are a bit shaky. Any signatures done in the past ten years, especially on late model dashes, would certainly have a paper trail.

Any signatures done in the past ten years, especially on late model dashes, would certainly have a paper trail.

Not really, I've seen many a dash signed in late model cars with no paper trail at all. Both in cars he has sat in, and on dashes placed in front of him. Now dashes sent to the foundation, yes should have a COA with them.

Archived