TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter storage

cobra1961

Just picked up my first Shelby this fall, 2008 GT500KR and have it tucked away in my garage(I am way up north here in Canada). It is heated, but just above the freezing mark, unless I am out working, then the heat gets turned up. I also have a '68 fastback. Before the Shelby I always fired up the 68 every two-three weeks and let it run to normal operating temps, back it in and out.

Any thoughts on the Shelby??

My 08 gt500 stored every winter..Pumped up air in tires....stabilized the fuel...disconnected neg battery cable..cover her up...AND START UP ONLY IN SPRING TIME to take HER HOME.. NEVER A PROBLEM.....GARAGE IS HEATED AND DRY...THEN I CHANGE THE OIL RIGHT AWAY BEFORE PUTTING ANY MILES ON HER......I ALSO LIVE IN CANADA...( OTTAWA ))....Enjoy XMAS

Just picked up my first Shelby this fall, 2008 GT500KR and have it tucked away in my garage(I am way up north here in Canada). It is heated, but just above the freezing mark, unless I am out working, then the heat gets turned up. I also have a '68 fastback. Before the Shelby I always fired up the 68 every two-three weeks and let it run to normal operating temps, back it in and out.

You do what I did with my Mustangs and Cobra and do with the Ford GT. If the roads are crappy on the weekend I do this task I just warm it up on the driveway, but if the roads are dry (and haven't had a recent sanding) then I drive it for about 5 miles (down to the highway intersection and back) which warms it up faster and gets trans fluid moving too. Don't forget to run the A/C too.

That is what I am planning on doing.

The garage is heated to 65 degrees and I will drive it 10 or 15 miles every couple weeks if it's near 50 degrees out and if the roads are clear.

I also start mine every 3-4 weeks and let it run for about 30-45 minutes in the garage. I don't think it adds condensation to the oil if the engine is warmed up to operating temperature and is kept there for about 30 minutes. And yes, running the a/c to lubricate the seals is necessary.

Unfortunately, I had to put my baby down for the winter. Stabil, battery tender, 5 extra pounds of air in the tires, fabric softener sheets in the engine compartment and interior, wax and seal and finally car cover. Next year I will be buying some styrofoam sheets from Home Depot to put underneath the tires instead of overinflating the tires. My vehicle is stored in a heated garage-prob 55 degrees.The waiting period now begins ---How many more days until Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, I had to put my baby down for the winter. Stabil, battery tender, 5 extra pounds of air in the tires, fabric softener sheets in the engine compartment and interior, wax and seal and finally car cover. Next year I will be buying some styrofoam sheets from Home Depot to put underneath the tires instead of overinflating the tires. My vehicle is stored in a heated garage-prob 55 degrees.The waiting period now begins ---How many more days until Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://flatstoppers.com/

This is what im using this year. Bit more pricy then sheets of foam at HD but really nice. Take a look

Unless you're sporting cross ply tires, which I doubt, there's little need to worry about tyres developing flat spots.

My CS spent last winter in an unheated, uninsulated garage (moved house to have a bigger, more civilized garage) with no issues.

Fuel stabilizer added (car ran for 10 minutes to ensure its all the way through the fuel system), battery disconnected, bounce sheets throughout, waxed, covered & left alone until spring. Oil change before & after parking up. That's it.

If you do run the car make sure it's for 20 minutes plus to ensure the car reaches operating temp.

Congrats! How'd you get an 08' past Customs? What color do you have?

Man I feel sorry for all you guys/gals parking the car for the winter. I just drove mine around the block and man does the sm block love the cool moist air. Did a few power shifts 1-4 reaching 60 mph+ on the main streets and my car was loving it. :hysterical3: Now its time to park it till tomorrow, darn! Well at least all you snow people can go outside, make snow angels and will be having a white Christmas ;)

Unless you're sporting cross ply tires, which I doubt, there's little need to worry about tyres developing flat spots.

My CS spent last winter in an unheated, uninsulated garage (moved house to have a bigger, more civilized garage) with no issues.

Fuel stabilizer added (car ran for 10 minutes to ensure its all the way through the fuel system), battery disconnected, bounce sheets throughout, waxed, covered & left alone until spring. Oil change before & after parking up. That's it.

If you do run the car make sure it's for 20 minutes plus to ensure the car reaches operating temp.

Im not so much concerned about flat spots as I have never had in the past even with my Raptor that usally sat all winter (yes you read right it sat in garage during winter, but has been offroading in the summer lol) but with getting the tires from being in direct contact with the concrete. Angain never had a problem in the past but never means I could not still have one, plus it makes me feel better. I keep my garage around 55 deg, and do the wax and wash, change oil, hook up battery to my Cetek charger and do not start untill spring.

Im not so much concerned about flat spots as I have never had in the past even with my Raptor that usally sat all winter (yes you read right it sat in garage during winter, but has been offroading in the summer lol) but with getting the tires from being in direct contact with the concrete. Angain never had a problem in the past but never means I could not still have one, plus it makes me feel better. I keep my garage around 55 deg, and do the wax and wash, change oil, hook up battery to my Cetek charger and do not start untill spring.

If your concrete has a sealant on it I wouldn't worry at all but if having something in between makes you feel better then there's no harm in that.

my battery tender is on year round. The SGT has only had about 200 miles in the last 2 years. She is now officially a garage queen. Only have to gas it once or twice a year, and add stabil, and it just runs in the garage. Driven rarely in only dry weather. Change the oil once or twice a year and always turn the AC on when it is running. I will also turn on the Shaker 500 and listen to the CD stereo while i work in the garage or in the driveway. The car has to be running as the Shaker will drain the battery quickly.

AGREE I have 49565kms on my 08. IN CANADA they use alot of salt on the roads...If snow or freezing were a non factor here....I would have close to 80000kms on her... Stored her 20 months over 5 years (4.5mths/winter)) My dreams are full of memories running that SHELBY...MR SHELBY ( CAROL )) I HOPE YOU ARE PROUD OF ME.....MERRY XAMS TOO ALL.....

What is with the fabric softener in the engine compartment??

Archived