TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch fluid line removal - Help

I am at a loss with this dumb line if I had the extra cash then it would be cut. But how the heck did Ford come up with this crap.

Do I drop the transmission and disconnect from slave or from the firewall??? Plus does it unscrew or magically disconnect. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

I am at a loss with this dumb line if I had the extra cash then it would be cut. But how the heck did Ford come up with this crap.

Do I drop the transmission and disconnect from slave or from the firewall??? Plus does it unscrew or magically disconnect. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

There is a on-line service manual available. I lost the link/bookmark in my HD reload but someone will have it for you.

The process was posted here but that was years ago and I can't remember how. I'd be interested in the answer too as this is something I may end up doing one day.

Phill

Thanks I also just bought from lethalperformance a new line its a braided line for 60.00. I have Haynes repair manual and it suxs. I been surfing the Web and nothing once again Ford with a dumb idea.

Let me see if I can find it. I have it on my Android but I can't bring up the PDF attachements for some reason.

Here ya go. This is the Root Directory. Click on either the 2005 or the 2011 section for early or later cars.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=0

This one shows the clutch exploded view;

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=933&viewfile=Clutch%20Slave%20Cylinder.pdf

HTH,

Phill

Thank you!!! I surfed for hours till some topics came up on other Mustang sites. So from what I have read it has a tiny clip holding it together. If you lose the clip your out of luck. But as I said the new flex line should be better and hope it will come with clips. Should be a blast for me with my steady hands. LOL

Thanks again

Be careful that plastic housing is easy to break where it goes into the bellhousing and the small metal cilp will go flying off into neverland. Definitely not one of Ford's better ideas. You have to reuse it. The clutch line is nothing more than a stainless steel line like a brake line.

Like TheKrugan said be careful with the clips once you get them out

The clip on the elbow going into the plastic elbow on the bellhousing was easier to remove

Then as careful as we were it disappeared, only to be found months later clear across the shop

FordFan1 fabricated a replacement clip using the handle part of a small spring type paper clip

Ford only sells the assembly - plastic elbow with the clip, yes I bought one, but the custom fab clip is still in service 2 years later

The upper connection was a bit more challenging to get the clip out as there isn't much room to get your hands in there

As I recall it pulls horizontally toward the fender

Best of Luck

Like TheKrugan said be careful with the clips once you get them out

The clip on the elbow going into the plastic elbow on the bellhousing was easier to remove

Then as careful as we were it disappeared, only to be found months later clear across the shop

FordFan1 fabricated a replacement clip using the handle part of a small spring type paper clip

Ford only sells the assembly - plastic elbow with the clip, yes I bought one, but the custom fab clip is still in service 2 years later

The upper connection was a bit more challenging to get the clip out as there isn't much room to get your hands in there

As I recall it pulls horizontally toward the fender

Best of Luck

That's funny I did the same thng. I found mine about 2 months later. I had the luxury of standing in the engine bay too!

Thanks guys for all your info !!! I going to cut the plastic line to save me a headache then when reassemblying the line with the new braid one. I will lay a plastic sheet under the master and the clutch lines. If I lose the clip after doing that then its just karma on my end.

What suxs is doing this with limited tools and buying new tools from sears which I hate since my garage at home has double of everything. I have my mom 1 car to do it in and trust me if money wasn't an issue . I would have paid someone to do it but as they say divorce is hell and the poor wife will get her karma out of this. I already folded on my home mortgage cant wait till she has a knock at the door and told to get out. The judge already told her no alimony no maintaince she thought she was going to sit on her butt all day with her new boyfriend. Not

Thanks again

What are you up to, clutch replacement? You've probably read it elsewhere, but while you're in there, replace the slave cylinder/throwout bearing - consider something better than the stock unit, like the Mcleod adjustable, (with bleeder), expensive, but it will save you heartache later on!

Hang in there!

Sam

Yeah that divorce thing sucks. Been there done that. I did the same thing and put all my energy into my car. It's not a bad idea...keeps you from going crazy racer. Don't count on that foreclosure happening soon. Banks are way behind and since the bubble burst, they are scared to call the sheriff and kick people out. They got their hand slapped for doing that by the govt. You can't win against women. Best thing to do is forget about it and hope she will too.

Thanks bud and trust me I can't afford this clutch job. The shifting go so bad it was killing my shoulder and hand. I use to drive the stang when loopy from the drugs and probably damaged it. So driving upstate in traffic was a nitemares. I tried hitting my mom up for the install money but she said no to that. I do have my f100 but I have an order of protection Against me so I can't get it. My cousin won't go and get it for me he doesn't want to get involved. So it sits their and awaits me saving her and it would help me out too drive that around. But my hands are tied and far as that but the mortgage company has this deal. I sign my home over to them and no foreclosure on my credit report.

Thanks bud and trust me I can't afford this clutch job. The shifting go so bad it was killing my shoulder and hand. I use to drive the stang when loopy from the drugs and probably damaged it. So driving upstate in traffic was a nitemares. I tried hitting my mom up for the install money but she said no to that. I do have my f100 but I have an order of protection Against me so I can't get it. My cousin won't go and get it for me he doesn't want to get involved. So it sits their and awaits me saving her and it would help me out too drive that around. But my hands are tied and far as that but the mortgage company has this deal. I sign my home over to them and no foreclosure on my credit report.

If you remove the evaporation canister you can access the line and swap it in 10 minutes. Also I have read the night mare of just changing out the line. You have to lower transmission to get at line. But what if you make an access panel from inside the car. You can make a flap in the rug then cut a 4 in by 4in in the tunnel use sheet metal screws with a 5 in square to cover.

Just a thought

If you remove the evaporation canister you can access the line and swap it in 10 minutes.

Interesting idea

The canister definitely made access to the upper clip difficult, but we eventually got it done

Interesting idea

The canister definitely made access to the upper clip difficult, but we eventually got it done

Trust me next time transmission comes out I will design a better setup than what is in place now. Especially as access is a nightmare !!!

Archived