TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Tires are Going On Your New Alcoa Wheels?

frank bullitt

Could a team member take a few pics of a 275/35/20 on a 9" Alcoa wheel so we could see what it looks like? I am thinking about running 9" Alcoas on all four corners and would run 275's MPSS tires. I am concerned that since the 295/35/20 MPSS have too much "overhang" on the 10" wheel and rubs on the rear fenders (according to some members), would the 275/35/20 on a 9" wheel do the same? Thanks!

Here is a picture of both the front and rear, with 9 inch wheels on the front with 275's and 295's on 10 inch wheels on the rear. Hope this helps.

2013-01-01 15.11.54 HDR.jpg

2013-01-01 15.13.06 HDR.jpg

2013-01-01 15.11.54 HDR.jpg

2013-01-01 15.13.06 HDR.jpg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports here, 275/35/20 on 10" all around - I reviewed all options for tires and could not find a compelling reason not to get the Michelins. With a treadlife warranty and roadside assistance included on what are typically reviewed as the best street tire available, I at least knew exactly what I was getting with the Michelins and not gambling with another set. Plus Discount Tire had a $100 rebate here in Florida so it made their good price even better.

gallery_36921_1776_170320.jpg

Thanks IASHELBYGT - your Shelby GT looks fantastic and those pics are really helpful!! Now I am thinking that 255 is a good way to go....now I am just debating 35 or 40 series tires.....how is the ride on the 35 series MPSS tires? Do you think an additional 0.50" of tire between the wheel and the pavement would provide a smoother ride than what you have now? Before anyone jumps on me for that question, please remember that I am setting our GT500 as a touring car for longer trips, not for track use!

Thanks IASHELBYGT - your Shelby GT looks fantastic and those pics are really helpful!! Now I am thinking that 255 is a good way to go....now I am just debating 35 or 40 series tires.....how is the ride on the 35 series MPSS tires? Do you think an additional 0.50" of tire between the wheel and the pavement would provide a smoother ride than what you have now? Before anyone jumps on me for that question, please remember that I am setting our GT500 as a touring car for longer trips, not for track use!

Ihave 30 series on the back and 35 series on the front. I believe the 35 series would be a good choice for the road. True the higher the series the more cushion between the wheel and the road but 35's can give you a fair ride and look great also. With the 35's you will get better handling also and part of the driving experience comes from handling. 35's look real good on 9'' rims. Good-Luck.

I'm happy with the ride with the 35 series tires. I put Michelin Super Sports on and they are a pretty stiff tire anyway. Prior to these I ran what shelbytexan did with the 30 series in the rear and the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires. I actually think the Hankooks ride a little better than the Michelins. Good luck with your decision.

Dave

So the weather is finally starting to get warmer and I am getting ready to pull the trigger on tires for the 9" Alcoas! I am thinking about 275/35/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS) on all four corners on the 9" Alcoas. Can anyone think of a reason not to do this, from a bulging/rubbing issue on either the front or rear? From the pictures I have seen here and elsewhere, the 295/35/20 MPSS on a 10" seem to bulge put more than a 275/35/20 on a 9", so maybe there won't be an issue on the rears with the 275's on 9" on the rear? Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like you have the perf pack. Is that lower in the back then the base model? Could you do me a favor and take a pic from the side and then measure the distance from the ground to the top of the rear wheel arch?

The taller tire helps fill the gap and I'm thinking about not lowering too since mine is a daily driver and it would make getting in and out of the driveway and work parking garage a pain. I am doing a widened rear 11.5 alcoa though which should help pull back the side wall.

Thanks in advance!

I just got my new Michelin Pilot Super Sports mounted up on my 2013 GT500 this weekend. I had Eric Vaughn widen two 20x10 inch Alcoa Super Snake "Fifty Years" Wheels to 11.5" wide. I am running Michelin Pilot Super Sports size 315x35/20s on the rear on the widened wheels and 275x35/20 on 20x9 inch rims up front. My rear is lowered by 1/2" using Roush Lowering Springs. The Rear Tires just slightly stick out when looking straight down at the rear wheels wells. I had two adults get in the back seat to see how much compression and i still had room to stick my fingers between the tires and wheel wells. The tires appear just a slight bit "fat" on the rims, but I did not have to do any modification other that a little trimming of the fiber wheel well liner. The front tires look great and when turned all the way left or right there is still at least 3/4" in the wheel wells at the closest points. I have pictures posted on my gallery with side views of the car from the rear and from the front. I love the look and with my Shelby Billet Watts Link, the rear end is stable and has no side-to-side movement. If you have questions, let me know -- happy to answer questions.

2013 05 05 19.15.33

2013 05 05 19.15.44

2013 05 10 15.53.10

2013 05 11 15.50.12

I went with Nitto NT05's - 275/35 Front and 315/35 Rears. Love em:

DSC03949_zps4fe101e2.jpg

DSC03945_zpsfd2f897a.jpg

IMG_1288_zpsca6fa856.jpg

DSC03864_zps121cd724.jpg

DSC03863_zpsb959282d.jpg

Who did your work on your front brake calipers? holtzja (Team Shelby Member)

I just had my Alcoas put on my GT500 today. Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/35/20s up front and 295/35/20s on the rear. Stock suspension.

CIMG5207_zpsee54d5e6.jpg

Looks good! I have a similar set up on mine -- Except mine is Deep Impact Blue with Stripe Delete. I had my rear wheels widened by Eric Vaughn and am running 315x35/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the rear and 275x35/20s MPSS on the front.

Who did your work on your front brake calipers? holtzja (Team Shelby Member)

Brian Pancoast, owner of the PowderHouse! He is the man with the plan :) He is in CA and might be a member here but if not for sure he is on SVTP (blkGT500nCA). Check him out.

DaFreak,

Those Nittos seem to tuck in nicely, how wide did you have your wheel widened?

I sent to Eric Vaughn who widened to 11.75". Definitely a good fit.

I may be in the makert for a new set of tires (to fit a new set of rims....I hope), and I wanted to get everyones input on which brand they feel is best. My car will be street driven, occasionally aggressively, and very rarely raced. Tire noise is not a big issue, but wet/dry traction is, as well as a decent tire wear rating...and let's not forget price.

Many folks seem to be running Michelin's, but who can offer an opinion on Falken, Pirelli, Yokohama, Nitto, etc.?

Z-man

I sent to Eric Vaughn who widened to 11.75". Definitely a good fit.

Looks like you're running 35 series, no?

Are you lowered?

I'm running an Eibach suspension and would like to go the 11.75" wide Alcoa, 315/35/20 Michelin-SS route but am not sure of fitment. I sure wish they made that tire in a 315/30/20.

I'm assuming that the wide rim would stretch the tire wide enough to avoid rubbing but prefer not to make an expensive mistake.

I may be in the makert for a new set of tires (to fit a new set of rims....I hope), and I wanted to get everyones input on which brand they feel is best. My car will be street driven, occasionally aggressively, and very rarely raced. Tire noise is not a big issue, but wet/dry traction is, as well as a decent tire wear rating...and let's not forget price.

Many folks seem to be running Michelin's, but who can offer an opinion on Falken, Pirelli, Yokohama, Nitto, etc.?

Z-man

I'm in the same market but it seems that the Michelin-SS's pretty much cover all the bases for a summer tire.

F150 Duke -- My 2013 GT500 is loaded -- all options except glass roof and recaro seats (I did not like how they felt). So yes, I do have the Performance Package, and I've had my OEM rear springs replaced with Roush Rear Springs that lower my rear end by 1/2 inch.

I will try and get a picture and measurements this weekend and posted back.

Holtzja

Archived