TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Tires are Going On Your New Alcoa Wheels?

frank bullitt

So with the large number of Alcoas flying out the door at Shelby, a lot of people will be looking for the right tire at the same time. Despite there being older threads on the topic scattered here and there, this might be a great time for people to list up to date information including tire brand, size front and back including rim size since some have ordered 10's for their front as well, and prices from different suppliers. It could save people some $ and fittment headaches. If you want to help others out, copy, paste and fill in the following;

Year and Model:

Factory Suspension or Lowered:

Alcoa Size Front / Rear:

Tire Brand:

Tire Size:

Cost:

Tire Supplier:

First Impressions:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Year and Model: 09 KR

Factory Suspension or Lowered: Factory

Alcoa Size Front / Rear: 10 / 10

Tire Brand: Mich Pilot Super Sport

Tire Size: 265 35 R 20 / 285 30 R 20

Cost: $ 2400.00

Tire Supplier: Blaskin and Lane ( Canada )

First Impressions : On Order

Year and Model: 2010 GT500

Factory Suspension or Lowered: Lowered with Shelby / Eibach Pro Street Coil Overs

Alcoa Size Front / Rear: 10 / 10

Tire Brand: Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Tire Size: Front: 275/35/20 Rear: 295/35/20

Cost: $2,000

Tire Supplier: Firestone Auto Care

Year and Model: 2009 GT500

Factory Suspension or Lowered: Factory

Alcoa Size Front / Rear: 9/10

Tire Size: Shelby recommended 275/35/20 rear, 255/35/20 front

Cost: $1600

Tire Supplier: Discount Tire (in Katy, houston area - excellent fitting job, genuine care and attention to detail)

First impressions of the Michelins are very favorable over the stock Goodyear F1s. Immediate handling improvement but will need a few miles in them to fully assess.

First impressions of the Michelins are very favorable over the stock Goodyear F1s. Immediate handling improvement but will need a few miles in them to fully assess.

Texastinlegs, I was thinking about the same Shelby recommended setup with the Super Sport tires like you. Can you please give a detailed analysis after you have some time on them? I’m very curious about the ability to hook up vs. stock wheels and tires even though you went down to the 275. I have heard that the 275 in that tire is more like a 285 in others. Thank you for the info! Standing by.

Year and Model: 2010 GT500 Vert

Factory Suspension or Lowered: Steeda Sport Springs

Tire Brand: Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Tire Size: Front: 255/35/R20; Rear: 275/35/R20

Cost: $1404

Tire Supplier: Tire Rack

First Impressions: Great Tires! Rides Nice and Handles Great. Had 20" Razors with Nitto 555 before these. Night and Day difference.

first of all, really appreciate all the feedback on the best tires for these wheels..... and second (with no intention of trying to hijack the thread) what are you doing about the tpms requirement. I'm gonna go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 255/35 front and 275/35 rear but don't know what to to do about the tmps issue......

first of all, really appreciate all the feedback on the best tires for these wheels..... and second (with no intention of trying to hijack the thread) what are you doing about the tpms requirement. I'm gonna go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 255/35 front and 275/35 rear but don't know what to to do about the tmps issue......

Check out this post.

TPMS

So with the large number of Alcoas flying out the door at Shelby, a lot of people will be looking for the right tire at the same time. Despite there being older threads on the topic scattered here and there, this might be a great time for people to list up to date information including tire brand, size front and back including rim size since some have ordered 10's for their front as well, and prices from different suppliers. It could save people some $ and fittment headaches. If you want to help others out, copy, paste and fill in the following;

Year and Model:

Factory Suspension or Lowered:

Alcoa Size Front / Rear:

Tire Brand:

Tire Size:

Cost:

Tire Supplier:

First Impressions:

I am running 10" Alcoa's on the front and rear. Michellin Pilot Super Sports 275-35-20 frt and originally Super Sports 295-35-20 rear. Great traction (about 640hp to the ground) threw second gear. Way better than the F-1's. I took off the rears and went with the 285's as I didn't like the look, filled up the wheel well too much for my liking.

I didnt have any rubbing issues with lowered car FRPP Suspension but I liked the look of the 285's better. Traction about the same. I would like to sell the 295's if anyone is interested. I had them posted for $500.00 for the pair a few months ago and still have them. They are perfect with ony 50 miles on them. These are the 105 load index tires which list's on Tire Rack for over $400.00 ea. PM if anyone is interested. I can also post some pictures if wanted, mounted on the car for comparison

Ted

Will post some pictures when I get home in a couple of hours.

Ted

These are the load rating (101Y) not the 105 I mentioned in an earlier post. These are listed at $463.00 ea on tire rack. Here are a couple of pics.

027.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

027.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

This is the plan don't have the wheels yet

Year and Model: 2007 SGT

Factory Suspension or Lowered: Lowered

Tire Size: 255/35/20 front and 275/35/20 rear

Cost: tbd

Tire Supplier: Jan Davis Tire (local)

Texastinlegs, I was thinking about the same Shelby recommended setup with the Super Sport tires like you. Can you please give a detailed analysis after you have some time on them? I’m very curious about the ability to hook up vs. stock wheels and tires even though you went down to the 275. I have heard that the 275 in that tire is more like a 285 in others. Thank you for the info! Standing by.

Hlyshft - the weather here in Texas has finally given up to winter temperatures so tires and road surface will be less than optimal to fully assess 'hook-up' on the Michelins for some time (at least until the warmer days return). So it may be a while before I can give an accurate assessment of their full potential Vs stock.

But the more I drive them (USA P-51 is my daily driver - lucky me!) the more I really like them. Definitely a step up over the stock F1s and I would not hesitate in recommending them. I feel confident in their abilities thus far to expect great performance at summer working temperatures.

Another plus is that I now have a set of 'track' wheels and tire in the garage with the stock rims and tires. Enough rubber left in those F1s for a least one fast pass round the circuit :-)

Copy all, thanks! The plan...

Year and Model: 2008 GT500

Factory Suspension or Lowered: Lowered on Ford Racing

Tire Size: 255/35/20 front and 275/35/20 rear

Cost: tbd

Tire Supplier: tbd

They arrived Saturday. Got up bright and early today and ran to the tire store. Happy Happy Happy early Christmas to me!

Year and Model: 2007 GT500 Vert

Factory Suspension or Lowered: Lowered w/FRPP coupe springs

Alcoa Size Front / Rear: 10's all around

Tire Size: 275/35/20 front, 295/30/20 rear

Cost: $2400 installed with new valve stem TMPS sensors and alignment

Tire Supplier: Butler Tire in Johns Creek, GA

First Impressions: Nice sticky tires, quiet and smooth ride. Need a few more miles for a more accurate opinion.

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

They arrived Saturday. Got up bright and early today and ran to the tire store. Happy Happy Happy early Christmas to me!

Year and Model: 2007 GT500 Vert

Factory Suspension or Lowered: Lowered w/FRPP coupe springs

Alcoa Size Front / Rear: 10's all around

Tire Size: 275/35/20 front, 295/30/20 rear

Cost: $2400 installed with new valve stem TMPS sensors and alignment

Tire Supplier: Butler Tire in Johns Creek, GA

First Impressions: Nice sticky tires, quiet and smooth ride. Need a few more miles for a more accurate opinion.

Can you take more pictures? Close up and from different angles? Also a picture of the tires sitting flush with the fenders would be nice as well. I am thinking of going your route but I want to see how 295s look since people complained about them.

People complain on this forum?

:hysterical2:

Jer

I'll take some more pics tomorrow. It started raining as soon as I got home, so I was only able to snap a few. I will say that all 4 wheels stick out slightly past the fender, maybe 1/4" or so. I don't know if its because I've got 10s all around or what. I also think I might have gone with the 295/35s rather than the 30s. My car sits lower because of the coupe springs, so I thought the 35s would be too tall, but after gawking at them all day I think they would be fine.

Looks GREAT.

Congrats, and thank you for your support!

Jer

I'll take some more pics tomorrow. It started raining as soon as I got home, so I was only able to snap a few. I will say that all 4 wheels stick out slightly past the fender, maybe 1/4" or so. I don't know if its because I've got 10s all around or what. I also think I might have gone with the 295/35s rather than the 30s. My car sits lower because of the coupe springs, so I thought the 35s would be too tall, but after gawking at them all day I think they would be fine.

Apparently someone said that a 35 with a lowered car rubs the fender.

Archived