TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Mustang Jacking & Lifting instructions

Grabber

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious: For those of us unfortunate enough to not have a lift in our garage, what are the procedures for lifting the car with a floor jack? I've used floor jacks on the pumpkin in the back, and a front frame crossmember or front axle to lift the front, on all sorts of cars for over 30 years, but I've never had a $60k car before. I REALLY don't like the idea of trying to put a car on jackstands by lifting from the side, and I'm not sure you could get a balanced lift with these jack points anyway. Is there any major risk to lifting this car by jacking under the pumpkin and under a front crossmember (haven't been under it to look yet, but need to soon for the first oil change).

I'm curious: For those of us unfortunate enough to not have a lift in our garage, what are the procedures for lifting the car with a floor jack? I've used floor jacks on the pumpkin in the back, and a front frame crossmember or front axle to lift the front, on all sorts of cars for over 30 years, but I've never had a $60k car before. I REALLY don't like the idea of trying to put a car on jackstands by lifting from the side, and I'm not sure you could get a balanced lift with these jack points anyway. Is there any major risk to lifting this car by jacking under the pumpkin and under a front cross-member (haven't been under it to look yet, but need to soon for the first oil change).

Ford says to not lift by the pumpkin. One reason is the seal on the cover gets pushed on and then it leaks. Not sure if it is strong enough to lift on either. Ford says do not lift there.

Ford says do not lift by the cross member either. The reason is because the cross member when point loaded will slightly crush into the uni-body at those points.

Here are some more pic's that will give you a idea of how you can jack the car up. These pic's were taken when I cleaned my wife's rusty butt. I used the scissor lifts on the pinch welds like Ford suggests and the jack stands were my secondary back up safety precaution in case the scissor jack failed.

006-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

014-2.jpg

015-1.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

A friend of mine has a GT500 that has been in several shops getting mods done. The mechanics have been lifting on the front end supports and NOT using the pinch welds as Ford recommends. The front end supports are bolted into the uni-body. When you lift on those black steel supports, the weight transfers into the uni-body and point loads the sheet metal. The sheet metal at those locations is not strong enough to lift the car and by overloading this location....the black steel supports crush into the uni-body. If that happens you will need to take your car to an alignment shop to see if some alignment adjustments need to be made.

Here's some photos of that kind of damage when you lift the car incorrectly (notice how the sheet metal is con-caved inwards).

Jacking1-1.jpg

Jacking-1.jpg

Allot of the Ford dealers have a "fast lane" center for services such a s oil changes. Some of the mechanics there are not familiar with where to lift on our cars. Where ever you go, tell them you want to make sure that they are lifting your cars by the proper lift points on the car. There are 4 points located where the body of the car is seamed together. Those points also have a small notch in them for a scissor jack to place there.

Here is a photo of my car up on a hoist the proper way so you can take note.

Shifterinstall020.jpg

Here is that thread on the jack points:

http://www.teamshelb...post__p__470251

Great info and pics Grabber.

On a side note don't trust them scissor jacks either, I had the threaded rod break on one while I was under a mini van doing a oil cahnge in someones garage. Lucky I had some blocks under it but not enough to hold it up while on the jack but enough for me to get out in time and not be on top of me. From that day on working in and out of different places in a family run welding business trusting floor jacks and such, that has come to a end.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know Fords intentions for lifting the car with a 2 post lift by the pinch weld and not crushing the rocker panels? The rockers extend lower than the pinch welds in the front and pretty close to the same height in the rear. I can't believe that Ford expects you to remove the rocker panels to gain full access to the lifting points. I realize that Ford dealerships lift these every day. Does Ford have an adapter just for cars like this? I don't imagine that the technicians are messing around with little blocks of wood particularly when making contact with all 4 points at once as with a 2 post lift. I don't mean to belabor this issue but I've read Fords instructions and they simply do not address the rocker interference issue.

Thanks for any help

Does anyone know Fords intentions for lifting the car with a 2 post lift by the pinch weld and not crushing the rocker panels? The rockers extend lower than the pinch welds in the front and pretty close to the same height in the rear. I can't believe that Ford expects you to remove the rocker panels to gain full access to the lifting points. I realize that Ford dealerships lift these every day. Does Ford have an adapter just for cars like this? I don't imagine that the technicians are messing around with little blocks of wood particularly when making contact with all 4 points at once as with a 2 post lift. I don't mean to belabor this issue but I've read Fords instructions and they simply do not address the rocker interference issue.

Thanks for any help

Here is a photo of my car up on a Ford lift. No problems with the rockers.

post-6269-0-00854800-1359236210_thumb.jpg

post-6269-0-00854800-1359236210_thumb.jpg

Thanks Grabber. I saw your car up on the lift earlier and I couldn't understand how the lifting pads weren't crushing the rocker panels, at least at the front. I have a 2013 if it makes a difference, and the pinch weld is about .375" higher than bottom of the rocker. The lifting pad would have be 2.5" or less wide to reach the pinch weld from the inside only. The rocker has an attaching point right at this lifting point and there is no flexibility for bending the plastic. I viewed the PDF that you posted, but it fails to address this situation.

Archived