TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake owner feedback wanted

Robert I said its a car I saw today. Apparently the owner doesn't want to deal with shelby anymore about this and have his car shipped out to vegas again from the east coast. So he is just paying my mechanic to fix their mess.

The clutch must have been done in the Shelby Motorsports shop?

R

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the owner of the 50th anniversary Super Snake has a problem we will be happy to address it......but we can't fix what we don't know about. He or she can e-mail me directly at garyp@shelbyamerican.com. and I will be happy to help.

To SVT13.........

The post above added by Gary P. is the service that I have seen over the past few years. Roger has also come in to offer asistance when needed, Robert L. also...........and others from SA......

R

Did the owner up-rate the clutch? If not, shelby wouldn't have had any reason to have pulled it out. If they did change the clutch, it would have been at the motorsport shop and their work is pretty damn good.

Sounds like a bit of a fishy story.

Did the owner up-rate the clutch? If not, shelby wouldn't have had any reason to have pulled it out. If they did change the clutch, it would have been at the motorsport shop and their work is pretty damn good.

Thats true. I have understood that the clutch was untouched during the SS conversion...

That's what I was trying to verify in post #31..............I know that the Super Snake upgrade itself does not include a clutch or any other reason to seperate the engine from the transmission.

R

People relax lol it's not my car. I'm just telling you all what my mechanic told me about this car and when I inspected WITH MY OWN EYES. I am OCD about these things so I saw many things easily when looking at this car since I've been interested in doing an SS conversion myself one day.

I'm assuming if he has the clutch done then yes it was done separately at the motorsport shop and who ever installed it clearly was half asleep.

I liked that I finally got to feel what an MGW feels like. There was absolutely zero NVH from the MGW that I could tell. My mechanic said though they had put in a lot of extra dynamat there so thats probably why. I like the direct feel it has but it takes a lot more effort to shift that thing than the stock shelby shifter. So I think the MGW for an every day driver may be a bit of a bad thing kind of like an aftermarket clutch that would make the pedal more firm. Both the shifter and clutch pedal are already firm enough.

I want to drive in an audi r8 and see how the shifter feels on that car and compare. The MGW is definitely a lot more gated feeling than the stock shifter

People relax lol it's not my car. I'm just telling you all what my mechanic told me about this car and when I inspected WITH MY OWN EYES. I am OCD about these things so I saw many things easily when looking at this car since I've been interested in doing an SS conversion myself one day.

I'm assuming if he has the clutch done then yes it was done separately at the motorsport shop and who ever installed it clearly was half asleep.

I liked that I finally got to feel what an MGW feels like. There was absolutely zero NVH from the MGW that I could tell. My mechanic said though they had put in a lot of extra dynamat there so thats probably why. I like the direct feel it has but it takes a lot more effort to shift that thing than the stock shelby shifter. So I think the MGW for an every day driver may be a bit of a bad thing kind of like an aftermarket clutch that would make the pedal more firm. Both the shifter and clutch pedal are already firm enough.

I want to drive in an audi r8 and see how the shifter feels on that car and compare. The MGW is definitely a lot more gated feeling than the stock shifter

I don't think that anyone is worried about who owns this car..............I personally am more concerned why Shelby would not get the first chance (privately) to deal with an issue (or issues) instead of a public forum being notified, especially by someone who doesn't even own this car.......and then the discussion(s) from that point.

It doesn't even sound like SA was contacted? If that is the case, that is Sad!

R

I don't think that anyone is worried about who owns this car..............I personally am more concerned why Shelby would not get the first chance (privately) to deal with an issue (or issues) instead of a public forum being notified, especially by someone who doesn't even own this car.......and then the discussion(s) from that point.

It doesn't even sound like SA was contacted? If that is the case, that is Sad!

R

I don't know what the owner has or hasn't done. I'll ask him next time I see him. The OP wanted feedback though from an SS, and I have been told many things about the quality at shelby with super snakes and I took it with a grain of salt. But then here we are I finally see one for myself and not only is it a super snake but its the 50th anniversary one. So it is twice the price and for what? The same crap that other people have told me and complained about when I asked them about their experience with their super snake. I don't trust shelby or any vendor for that manner. I care about what the people who own the car say and they all have had problems. So if I lived in Vegas I wouldn't worry about these things because it wouldn't leave their hands unless it was perfect but for people who order and have it shipped across the US thats again a lot of hassle to send it back and forth.

Which is probably why this owner did not ship his car back to them.

I don't know what the owner has or hasn't done. I'll ask him next time I see him. The OP wanted feedback though from an SS, and I have been told many things about the quality at shelby with super snakes and I took it with a grain of salt. But then here we are I finally see one for myself and not only is it a super snake but its the 50th anniversary one. So it is twice the price and for what? The same crap that other people have told me and complained about when I asked them about their experience with their super snake. I don't trust shelby or any vendor for that manner. I care about what the people who own the car say and they all have had problems. So if I lived in Vegas I wouldn't worry about these things because it wouldn't leave their hands unless it was perfect but for people who order and have it shipped across the US thats again a lot of hassle to send it back and forth.

Which is probably why this owner did not ship his car back to them.

I can't speak for SA or the owner, but why would a car have to be shipped all the way back to Las Vegas for an issue to be resolved to the owners satisfaction?

I really have nothing else to add to this because it is not my car or situation.

I have no regrets about my Super Snake build, the fit and finish was Great, the car has been Great, received it back from Las Vegas in the 1st quarter of 2009.

R

I can't speak for SA or the owner, but why would a car have to be shipped all the way back to Las Vegas for an issue to be resolved to the owners satisfaction?

I really have nothing else to add to this because it is not my car or situation.

I have no regrets about my Super Snake build, the fit and finish was Great, the car has been Great, received it back from Las Vegas in the 1st quarter of 2009.

R

+1. .....happy owner as well

R

Robert if the clutch was put in wrong how else will shelby fix it? Are they going to fly out a mechanic to the eastern shore to fix it? Obviously if they put something in wrong then they have to take it out again and put it back in properly. Only way to do that is to have the car. So either the car has to go back to shelby or a mechanic has to come fly across America to fix it.

Robert if the clutch was put in wrong how else will shelby fix it? Are they going to fly out a mechanic to the eastern shore to fix it? Obviously if they put something in wrong then they have to take it out again and put it back in properly. Only way to do that is to have the car. So either the car has to go back to shelby or a mechanic has to come fly across America to fix it.

Again, I can't speak for Shelby, and I don't know their policy, but "if" a customer is not within a reasonable distance...........couldn't a local reputable shop verify the issue? and then between the shop verification and Shelby's examination of the issue, couldn't something like a clutch be replaced locally and the payment details be worked out between the local shop and the rep. at Shelby? OR as you said, a mechanic from SA fly to the car?

Like I said, I don't know the Shelby way to handle an issue...........Van (ReVan Racing) in Florida may be able to help? Tasca in the Northeast? <<Bottom to top on the eastcoast.

Also, the MGW overview............The MGW has 5 settings if I remember correctly, that adjust the throw and "notchyness" of the shifter. I think most set theirs to 3 or 4 on the street. I believe the higher number is more like oem (smooth/softer), and the closer the shifter is set to 1, the notchier it gets, so that notchy feel is all in how the shifter is adjusted, and how notchy the owner/driver wants their shifter to be. I have heard the Barton shifter is also nice, but it does not have settings to tailor the "shifter feel" to the drivers desired setting. I read many reviews on both, and both are Great upgrades over the stock/oem shifter. There are also some who have the billet Drake shifter that was the original Super Snake upgrade 6 speed shifter. I have not heard bad comments about the Drake either.

R

Again, I can't speak for Shelby, and I don't know their policy, but "if" a customer is not within a reasonable distance...........couldn't a local reputable shop verify the issue? and then between the shop verification and Shelby's examination of the issue, couldn't something like a clutch be replaced locally and the payment details be worked out between the local shop and the rep. at Shelby? OR as you said, a mechanic from SA fly to the car?

Like I said, I don't know the Shelby way to handle an issue...........Van (ReVan Racing) in Florida may be able to help? Tasca in the Northeast? <<Bottom to top on the eastcoast.

Also, the MGW overview............The MGW has 5 settings if I remember correctly, that adjust the throw and "notchyness" of the shifter. I think most set theirs to 3 or 4 on the street. I believe the higher number is more like oem (smooth/softer), and the closer the shifter is set to 1, the notchier it gets, so that notchy feel is all in how the shifter is adjusted, and how notchy the owner/driver wants their shifter to be. I have heard the Barton shifter is also nice, but it does not have settings to tailor the "shifter feel" to the drivers desired setting. I read many reviews on both, and both are Great upgrades over the stock/oem shifter. There are also some who have the billet Drake shifter that was the original Super Snake upgrade 6 speed shifter. I have not heard bad comments about the Drake either.

R

Van has nothing to do with shelby anymore to my understanding. But yea I don't know how shelby does their stuff. I know with another member's car on this forum who I won't mention he had 10x more problems than what I saw here and he had to send his car back.

But yea I don't know how the MGW is adjusted by shelby. I would like to see how it feels on the setting closest to OEM before I would take the plunge. I like the gated feeling it has I just didn't like the 3x increase in effort to shift because I drive my car every day. I was glad to see there was no NVH increases or if there were that enough dynamat can be used to rectify that issue. But if I can get the shift effort to be like OEM but keep the gated feeling it has then I would definitely buy it.

Van has nothing to do with shelby anymore to my understanding. But yea I don't know how shelby does their stuff. I know with another member's car on this forum who I won't mention he had 10x more problems than what I saw here and he had to send his car back.

But yea I don't know how the MGW is adjusted by shelby. I would like to see how it feels on the setting closest to OEM before I would take the plunge. I like the gated feeling it has I just didn't like the 3x increase in effort to shift because I drive my car every day. I was glad to see there was no NVH increases or if there were that enough dynamat can be used to rectify that issue. But if I can get the shift effort to be like OEM but keep the gated feeling it has then I would definitely buy it.

My guess is that yes, "if" the problems were excessive with any build, SA would want the car back for a personal visual inspection.

The lack of NVH was good to hear. I plan on buying a MGW in the near future.

R

Also, the MGW overview............The MGW has 5 settings if I remember correctly,

I'll have to double check, but I think it's 10 settings (turns) with 5 being the 'middle' and the recommended starting point by MGW.

Phill

I'll have to double check, but I think it's 10 settings (turns) with 5 being the 'middle' and the recommended starting point by MGW.

Phill

Ok, could be, I have only seen 1-5 mentioned.

10 settings would even be better for fine tuning.

R

My guess is that yes, "if" the problems were excessive with any build, SA would want the car back for a personal visual inspection.

The lack of NVH was good to hear. I plan on buying a MGW in the near future.

R

Yea but this guy apparently used extra dynamat in addition to the dynamat MGW provides with the shifter. Also for some strange reason his car felt more solid than my 13. I don't know if its becuase it weighs more from the bigger blower, heavier hood, etc or if its from his subframe connectors but it felt pretty solid.

The 13 doesn't really feel that way unless I have it in sport mode but then it is way too bumpy for normal DD duty.

I was told yesterday from shelby if I wanted I could have 900hp in our 2012 gt500. I asked how much and quickly said no. I think I would just get the 1000.

As part of the Super Snake upgrade? or after mods done at Shelby Motorsports? There have been 900 and 1000 hp options offered for about a year through Shelby Motorsports after the Super Snake upgrade is completed.R

Phill

Phill - You are right. I did not find it on the MGW site, but I did find it on a forum MGW install discussion, 10 different settings and 10 is the most notchy/aggressive setting.R

Also MGW has said they are about to anounce a new set of rear bushings to help with NVH. George said more of a "street" bushing to give about the same feel but help reduce the NVH for street use and smoother.

Also MGW has said they are about to anounce a new set of rear bushings to help with NVH. George said more of a "street" bushing to give about the same feel but help reduce the NVH for street use and smoother.

If this is true I'll order MGW when this comes out. Do you know if there is any ETA on this? If 1 is the least aggresive and 10 is the most if I got an MGW for DD duty I would probably set it at like 2 or something.

If this is true I'll order MGW when this comes out. Do you know if there is any ETA on this? If 1 is the least aggresive and 10 is the most if I got an MGW for DD duty I would probably set it at like 2 or something.

I talked to the MGW people about a month ago, maybe a little longer and there was some sort of "new design" or "update" for the 6 speed that was going to be on the shifters within a week or two. Maybe the newer bushing set is already part of the shifters?

R

George posted this on the 11th.

"Travis from SVT is coming down this weekend to do a video debut of the new rear bracket assembly we have designed. it basically takes the shifter to a new dimension of adjustability and personalization.

it will retrofit to all previous models of MGW shifter from 2005-present including GT500 models as well.

it will have 2 durometer rubber piller blocks that interchange. similar to the red and black bushings you get from other companies but much more effective at NVH dampening with VERY little reduction in precision.

the 2 options will basically "bookend" the standard bracket to the high and low side.

a softer street block for probably 80 percent of users that gives up very little in feel but is quieter and smoother in feel.

and a track block that is even stiffer than the standard bushing brackets.

pics and video coming soon i promise!!!"

George posted this on the 11th.

"Travis from SVT is coming down this weekend to do a video debut of the new rear bracket assembly we have designed. it basically takes the shifter to a new dimension of adjustability and personalization.

it will retrofit to all previous models of MGW shifter from 2005-present including GT500 models as well.

it will have 2 durometer rubber piller blocks that interchange. similar to the red and black bushings you get from other companies but much more effective at NVH dampening with VERY little reduction in precision.

the 2 options will basically "bookend" the standard bracket to the high and low side.

a softer street block for probably 80 percent of users that gives up very little in feel but is quieter and smoother in feel.

and a track block that is even stiffer than the standard bushing brackets.

pics and video coming soon i promise!!!"

So where are those pics and video? And why didn't they do this in the first place? I think the bobs LCA is the only suspension conponent or moving component that come out and was perfect from day 1 without any or changes.

Man you ask alot of questions lol, No more info has been posted so far im getting it of SVTperformance. But trust me I have been keeping a eye on it I can start a new thread if you like if I see anything new.

Man you ask alot of questions lol, No more info has been posted so far im getting it of SVTperformance. But trust me I have been keeping a eye on it I can start a new thread if you like if I see anything new.

Please do. Post it in the 2013 section when it comes please. thanks

Archived