TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake owner feedback wanted

Considering sending my car to Shelby for the Super Snake treatment.

I have plenty of time to decide as some things need to come together before ill have the cash. What I'm looking for are honest remarks about the process, any problems that were discovered after delivery and how they were corrected. Would you don't again, if not why?

Don't try and sell me, I can do that just fine. Tell me why I should or shouldn't do this and back it up with fact. I know I can build my car to be better for cheaper, but it won't be a true Super Snake.

You can respond to my email if it makes it easier for you.

Timothypogue@yahoo.com.

Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing but good to say about Shelby The build process was first class, the car is brilliant I would say to you do it you will not be disapointed All the guys at Shelby were great As you know I live in the UK and I new my car was in safe hands, they kept me informed at each stage of the process Gary Patterson was on hand with any questions I had and was brilliant, as was Bud

Would I do it again definately YES !!!!!!!!!!!

When I went to see the car for the first time the tranformation was increadable, as we looked over the car one of the carbon fibre side cills had a small mark on it I did not pick it up but one of the staff did and sent it back right then to replace it . cannot fault the fit or finish The only thing I do not like is the hood pin chrome rings which scratch very easy

I can only say what my experience was, other people might have had a different one

Hey Tim,

The only questions you should ask is that what do you want out of the car? If you want something that will hold the value, and a limited performer, than have the SC complete by Shelby or Tasca. If you are looking for something that you can drive more frequently and enjoy the car then I would do it your self. Both will perform as expected and will offer you loads of driving fun, but if you are looking for more of an added cash value for the long term investment, then have the right people do it and get it certified.

I have mine done privately and have had not one issue! I also, drive my car several times weekly, as I bought it to truely enjoy it and not for the long term investment. In any case you really can't go wrong, just need to ask youself that all important money question value to how you want/will drive the car?

Enjoy! :happy feet:

Peter

PS, in any case, others will bow down.... :worship:

Any issues you might have will be GONE the moment you have your first drive, the finished product is simply amazing.

I wish the process was faster. I wish Shelby were more flexible and accomodating. I wish it was cheaper.

The best way to get a straight answer from someone is to ask "would you do it again?" and my answer to that question is YES.

Maybe I am wrong...BUT The 750hp package has NO WARRANTY and therefore owners are left with the TSB drivetrain problem on their OWN...I am talking about the 07--09yrs......Alot of power that the original CLUTCH/TRANNY could not handle.....Witnessed this with a club member who does not even race his SS....

Increased HP ??

Upgrade the clutch.

The speed shop can do this while the car is there for SS package.

Getting the TSB done and having the new OEM clutch still won't support the increase in power with the S/C package.

And you are correct, the 750+ packages do void the warranty.

Don't have an SS, but if I could I would do it in a heartbeat.

The 800hp package says no engine warranty so I guess the 725hp kit would keep it intact.

Nope. The 725HP or 750HP (on 2010 and newer) upgrade kills your drivetrain warranty too.

Phill

Nope. The 725HP or 750HP (on 2010 and newer) upgrade kills your drivetrain warranty too.

Phill

Ok, I wasn't sure. Haven't read all the fine print.

I did trade a few emails last night with Tim from Shelby and he answered a lot of my questions. I still have more for him but he gave me some really good information.

Any issues you might have will be GONE the moment you have your first drive, the finished product is simply amazing.

I wish the process was faster. I wish Shelby were more flexible and accomodating. I wish it was cheaper.

The best way to get a straight answer from someone is to ask "would you do it again?" and my answer to that question is YES.

This is what I replied (#2)

There have been many 725 owners on this forum who have brought their 725 Super Snake to their local Ford dealership for warranty work, and the dealer has done the work at N/C, so just because the upgrade says that the warranty is void, does not mean that all dealerships are charging for work performed during the warranty period............and yes there are some who have had the clutch TSB performed at N/C after their car was Super Snaked.

I say go for the big power, there are many 605 and 660 owners who were more concerned about a warranty and went the safe/warranty in-tact route, now the warranty is gone, or getting real close to gone, the car is still a 605 or 660, and the factory GT500 hp is higher than their Super Snake..............they could have been a 725 or 750. <<<Except in the 2007-2010 Convert., it was limited to the lower hp upgrade by Shelby.

R

There have been many 725 owners on this forum who have brought their 725 Super Snake to their local Ford dealership for warranty work, and the dealer has done the work at N/C,

This is all very true. I was going to add all of the legal mumbo jumbo to my comment but didn't want to get another flame war going.

It is true that the factory CAN deny you warranty work IF they can prove the failure was a direct result of the modification. But that's not how it works in reality.

Most warranty denials get denied and the customer doesn't have the knowledge (google "Magnuson/Moss Warranty Act"), the time or the money go get a lawyer and pursue litigation against the dealer (and it is the DEALER who denies you!) to recover the cost of the repair.

So they just "bullshit" their way past the law and tell you it's not covered, and most go on their merry way believing them (because they did the mod).

Just remember...The "Burden of Proof" (that the failure was DIRECTLY caused by the mod) is on the Dealer/Factory Rep, not on the buyer. A warranty is a legally binding contract and if they void your warranty without proving the failure was your fault, that is a "Breech of Contract" and not only can you recover actual damages (on a BoC) but you can also recover punitive damages. And most Attorney's will jump on a contingency case if punitive damages are recoverable (they get paid a commission and the 'big money' is in punitive damages, not actual damages).

Now, having said all that...A *good* dealer will just repair the damn thing and get paid their warranty time (warranty pay vs. customer pay is around 75%).

But on the other hand, there was a TS member right here on this forum that was denied ALL warranty work due to a aftermarket pulley on his car and printed out posts (from THIS forum) where he admitted to taking the car to the track one night. They used that against him as "Competition Use", which DOES void your warranty (as per the terms of your warranty/contract).

6 of 1, half-dozen of the other....

Phill

Agreed on the warranty stuff. Sometimes it pays to have a good relationship with your dealer or service manager.

If I go through with this conversion I plan to get all the bells and whistles. 800hp and all. Only item I probably won't get is the kicker stereo upgrade. Everything else will be added.

What kills me about all the BS the DEALERS tell people is that.... they can and do get away with their refusals...Another point is...ALL DEALERS represent FOMO.....But then they say SAI is not FOMO......Such BS ...Then you got FFRP...Another pain in the ass....Thxs for letting me VENT....

AGAIN ITS ME....How can 1 dealer refuse you warranty work and then another one will do the workk....Does FORD ..THANK the dealers who do less warranty work by giving that dealer more inventory to sell????..I mean if my VIN# is refused by one dealer ..and...then accepted by another to do the workk...DOES ford NOT SEE THAT mY vin# WAS REFUSED ONCE but THEN ACCEPTED BY ANOTHER... :drool: :drool:

• 2 weeks later...

1. If you want to drive it on a road course, your money could be much better spent on track specific mods.

2. If you want to do it for pure power, and great styling, and don't care about collectibility, do it yourself.

3. If you want the future value, and have plenty of money, go the Shelby route.

"Dfff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks."

AGAIN ITS ME....How can 1 dealer refuse you warranty work and then another one will do the workk....Does FORD ..THANK the dealers who do less warranty work by giving that dealer more inventory to sell????..I mean if my VIN# is refused by one dealer ..and...then accepted by another to do the workk...DOES ford NOT SEE THAT mY vin# WAS REFUSED ONCE but THEN ACCEPTED BY ANOTHER... :drool: :drool:

OK, we get it, your pissed, fustrated and would like someone to give you an answer that you want to hear, but why continue to high jack other's post??? Especially when you started your own with this very topic?? The only one who can answer this for you is "FORD," might I suggest that you contact them via there web site, they might be very interested in hearing from you. If you already have, then let it go, I feel for you, but high-jacking other's post, (several of them), is a little much...

Ok so I saw a 50th anniversary super snake today. These were the problems. The clutch plate was put in BACKWARDS. The shifter wouldn't go all the way in 1st so that had to be reinstalled. The hood is off. It is more on the right side than the left. The stripes have holes in them. And it clunks a lot.

So for 120k you get an missed up clutch,shifter,hood, and stripes :). Apparently quality control at shelby even with a 50th anniversary still sucks lol. On a brighter note the black alcoas looked very nice

Ok so I saw a 50th anniversary super snake today. These were the problems. The clutch plate was put in BACKWARDS. The shifter wouldn't go all the way in 1st so that had to be reinstalled. The hood is off. It is more on the right side than the left. The stripes have holes in them. And it clunks a lot.

So for 120k you get an missed up clutch,shifter,hood, and stripes :). Apparently quality control at shelby even with a 50th anniversary still sucks lol. On a brighter note the black alcoas looked very nice

Is this your car? and if so did you contact someone at Shelby first?

R

Is this your car? and if so did you contact someone at Shelby first?

R

Robert I said its a car I saw today. Apparently the owner doesn't want to deal with shelby anymore about this and have his car shipped out to vegas again from the east coast. So he is just paying my mechanic to fix their mess.

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

As the title states he wants feedback from actual Super Snake owners.

:hide:

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

As the title states he wants feedback from actual Super Snake owners.

:hide:

Sorry but driving my shelby 100 miles and then 5000 still feels the same. Not like after 5000 it turns into a ZR1. This is just another example of the many I have heard where Shelby has quality problems and its unacceptable when you drop 80k to them.

Archived