TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is 2014 going to be the last year?

13shelbygt500

No mention of horsepower though.

I don't see the 15 producing the HP that the 13/14MY have.

But then again, my crystal ball is broken. B)

Did you see the prototype Cobra Jet with a twin turbo 5.0L Coyote engine in it, pushing something like 650HP?

I wouldn't bet on the the HP rating being significantly lowered....If lowered at all.

I was told that when Shelby died, so would the Shelby/Ford relationship and that no more SHELBY GT500's would be made. That's not to say Ford won't make a Cobra and Shelby American won't 'upfit' them (much like the Super Snake program) into a "SHELBY GT500", or a "SHELBY GT500 Super Snake". Shelby owns the GT500 (& GT350) moniker & Ford owns the Cobra moniker so that would make sense for both parties. It would allow Ford to make a Cobra yet still give Shelby American a avenue to sell upgraded cars and more specifically, GT500's (and GT350's) and Super Snakes.

Either way, tt should be very interesting at the least and I wouldn't bet on the horsepower war being over with...not just yet.

Phill

Did you see the prototype Cobra Jet with a twin turbo 5.0L Coyote engine in it, pushing something like 650HP?

I wouldn't bet on the the HP rating being significantly lowered....If lowered at all.

I was told that when Shelby died, so would the Shelby/Ford relationship and that no more SHELBY GT500's would be made. That's not to say Ford won't make a Cobra and Shelby American won't 'upfit' them (much like the Super Snake program) into a "SHELBY GT500", or a "SHELBY GT500 Super Snake". Shelby owns the GT500 (& GT350) moniker & Ford owns the Cobra moniker so that would make sense for both parties. It would allow Ford to make a Cobra yet still give Shelby American a avenue to sell upgraded cars and more specifically, GT500's (and GT350's) and Super Snakes.

Either way, tt should be very interesting at the least and I wouldn't bet on the horsepower war being over with...not just yet.

Phill

I don't think it's over but I think we've seen the pinnacle of the big HP #'s...the big HP wars were over in 1971 but it continued on between Chev and Ford

throughout the 70's weak as it may have been..it picked up in the 80's then the 90's and on till today but I think now with the stricter regulations coming into

effect and a push for less polluting and more fuel efficient cars I really do think we've been to the top.

There will be a 2015 GT500 for sure. Should have saved the web site sorry. Shelby American has gone on record saying that the current program will continue with Ford. The 2015 Mustang will also have IRS. I have some excellent spy pics of the suspension saved to my pics on my computer. Someone tell me how to post them and I'll be happy to.

I wonder how well the 2014's are going to sell with the newer body style and suspension coming in the near future?

I wonder how well the 2014's are going to sell with the newer body style and suspension coming in the near future?

IMO Ford will not have any trouble selling the 2014 GT500's. I have not seen you in a spell. Are you thinking of getting back into a 500? That would bee cool.

There will be a 2015 GT500 for sure. Should have saved the web site sorry. Shelby American has gone on record saying that the current program will continue with Ford. The 2015 Mustang will also have IRS. I have some excellent spy pics of the suspension saved to my pics on my computer. Someone tell me how to post them and I'll be happy to.

If you mean will Shelby American make one, likely yes. Shelby American and SVT are not the same, and certainly Shelby American will produce something on the new platform. What other option do they have? There are no plans to build a "Shelby" car built by SVT in 2015 at this time. I'm fairly connected to the Mustang development process, our GM was in fact principally responsible for some of the major front-end styling queues for the S197, and I can say with ALMOST near certainty that the 2015 model will be so radically different that it will take several years before they near the performance benchmark set by the '13/'14 cars.

Phill

Phil, good point.

But the twin turbo Cobra Jet is a prototype. I hope it goes into production, for all I know, it could be on the line today.

And, I agree, Shelby American will continue to mod the cars to the MAX. Wether they are 4 bangers with TT set ups or super charged V8's.

Just looking at all of the government regulations, it seems that our current leaders are pushing for more fuel efficient vehicles using alternative fuels.

I am all for the HP wars to continue, but it seems that the politicians have a different agenda.

I agree with you, the very near future of the high HP cars will be very interesting.

I can guarantee you are 100% wrong. 2016 Maybe, 2015 No way. It has nothing to do with Ford's agreement with Shelby. Ford will not build a 2015 GT500, they will wait until the bugs are worked out of the new platform. They have NEVER built their Halo mustang the first year of a new platform. They will not start in 2015.

I can guarantee you are 100% wrong. 2016 Maybe, 2015 No way. It has nothing to do with Ford's agreement with Shelby. Ford will not build a 2015 GT500, they will wait until the bugs are worked out of the new platform. They have NEVER built their Halo mustang the first year of a new platform. They will not start in 2015.

Agreed, idon't expect anythng until 2015 or 16. Which is fine by me, get to have the top dog car for a few years longer.

They will be selling them on ebay for many years to come.

Hey Rob,

Always looking and thinking. In the mean time I'm enjoying my new 2012 loaded Tuxedo Black Super Crew Raptor. Its still a Garage Queen and isn't driven in the rain. Wife was teasing me about me never driving the Raptor off road, so I drove in the grass at Fort Steilacoom Park. We both had a good chuckle. We'll have to give you a call soon and get together.

Phill

I don't believe I misunderstood the article. It stated that Ford and Shelby are going to continue the same relationship building the GT500 in 2015 and beyond. But we shall soon find out in the near future. I can't see Ford dumping the most powerful production engine ever built with no gas guzzler tax after a couple of years. All of us know there is a strong rivalry between the ZL1 and the GT500. Do you feel Ford is going to back down or up the ante with the new Mustang? Either way I'm not trying to start a fuss.

Thanks

I was at an event this last summer and posed the question as to what was going to happen between Ford and Shelby since Carrol's death. I was told that nothing would change and that Ford and Shelby have commitments in place through 2020. So on what level will Shelby will be in production I am not sure, but just going by what I was told.

I don't believe I misunderstood the article. It stated that Ford and Shelby are going to continue the same relationship building the GT500 in 2015 and beyond. But we shall soon find out in the near future. I can't see Ford dumping the most powerful production engine ever built with no gas guzzler tax after a couple of years. All of us know there is a strong rivalry between the ZL1 and the GT500. Do you feel Ford is going to back down or up the ante with the new Mustang? Either way I'm not trying to start a fuss.

Thanks

The 5.4/8 engine platform will die for good after the 2014 production year.

The 5.4/8 engine platform will die for good after the 2014 production year.

I would guess you are correct there. With all the ecoboost stuff going on, you can almost guarantee that the next gen GT500 will be a boosted 5.0. That just makes the most sense. Current testing with that combo in the Cobra Jet also points that direction. If one likes the current car the best and not thrilled about the new body, the 2014 will be the ultimate GT500.

The displacement will most certainly decrease since the 5.4/8 architecture is dead. The choices are 5.0 or 6.2 and the 6.2 will not fit in the current car and it certainly will not fit in the new 2015 design. The 6.2 is just simply to tall.

Turbo charging is a possibility on the 5.0, but a turbo V8 is a much more difficult packaging problem than an inline 4 cyl. The exhaust routing and cat placement required to meet EPA startup emissions would be the stumbling block in my opinion. A twin turbo cobra jet race car is one thing, but a production car is a completely different story.

I expect Ford to build the next GT500 with higher performance numbers by building a lighter platform that will outperform the current car with less HP & TQ.

The displacement will most certainly decrease since the 5.4/8 architecture is dead. The choices are 5.0 or 6.2 and the 6.2 will not fit in the current car and it certainly will not fit in the new 2015 design. The 6.2 is just simply to tall.

Turbo charging is a possibility on the 5.0, but a turbo V8 is a much more difficult packaging problem than an inline 4 cyl. The exhaust routing and cat placement required to meet EPA startup emissions would be the stumbling block in my opinion. A twin turbo cobra jet race car is one thing, but a production car is a completely different story.

I expect Ford to build the next GT500 with higher performance numbers by building a lighter platform that will outperform the current car with less HP & TQ.

I agree.. think you hit the nail on the head with this post.

Archived