TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Tires for 2013 GT500?

AgentIan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, I need a tire shop that deals with low profile 20' wheels in QUEENS or LONG ISLAND, NY?

Most places I call, they say, NO PROBLEM just bring it in! we have standard machines!

Thank you

braztang

Hmm, that looks an awful lot like my car B)

That wouldn't happen to be in the Snohomish area would it? My car was at Bickford Ford yesterday, getting FRPP springs and Steeda adjustable panhard bar installed.

I've run the Pirelli's on my '10, '12, and now the '13, and I can't say enough good things about them. They are dedicated winter sport tires. In the northwest we see temps that drop into the 20's and light snow. If I was in a milder climate, I'd probably choose an all-season tire, instead of a winter tire.

Yep, it sure was Bickford. Great looking car. I thought the stance looked really good. Wonder if the springs had already been installed? The pics was taken around 4pm or so. I had the Pirellis on my last ride and they were great for Seattle weather.

Hey buddy,

Bought the tires at TIRERACK.COM

Mentioned you as a referal (SVT13 from teamshelby.com) they told me to advise that when you buy something from them in the future, to let them know you are SVT13 from teamshelby.com for a special discount.

I bought the 255/40/R19 100V and the 285/35/20 104V as well, which according to them, the V matches the speeds classification.

Any advice on installing them? did you do anything special? I should I request any special attention to the installation?

Thanks buddy,

braztang

I see the size you used but what line is it the same as the guy above you? The Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II?

Let me know.

What is better? These Pirellis or the Michellin Pilot Super Sports. The Michelins are still summer tires right? The Pirellis anre at least labeled performance Winter tires

Series II are the most up to date Pirellis.

Yep, Michelin PSS are a summer tire that performs admirably in the rain from what I have read. The Pirellis are a winter performance tire.

^This is correct. Pirelli best winter tire. Michelin PSS best summer tire minus (sport cup which is R compound).

Hey guys, installed the Sottozero on the Shelby, unbelievably comfortable, I wish I could use them year round, no comparison to the stock ones...I know they are two different tires all around though. Can anyone tell if there is a ALL SEASON (year round) tires same sizes as STOCK I could use it? as I really do not want to be swapping them every 6 months...I got some BAD scratches in my rims while changing the tires! I can see that the rims are covered with paint over a BLACK RIM. Too bad, but what can you do! PLEASE ANYONE AWARE OF ALL SEASON TIRES, LET ME KNOW. TKS BRAZTANG

So what is better for me? I live in Brownsville Texas, winter as I've known it in the North doesn't exist in the same manner. Average lows for the year are 65.38 F and the coldest day on record is in the month of February with a temperature of 12 F. Will my Goodyears hold up do I really need to switch? Should I get the Michelling instead since they are a little better in cold weather than stock. I am not entirely sure what to do.

If you are asking whether or not you should ever go driving with either the GY G2 or Mich PSS in 12F weather, the answer is absolutely no. Just invest in some perf winter tires, if this is your DD, for the safety of you and other drivers around you.

That is a RECORD LOW It is very very very very unlikely I'll see those temps. I am going home for 3 weeks then back to Afghanistan. so for about 2 1/2 weeks this will be my Daily driver for sure in that time period. The average temp for the time I am going to be there will probably NOT drop below 50 F. So maybe I'll just stick to Stock.

That is a RECORD LOW It is very very very very unlikely I'll see those temps. I am going home for 3 weeks then back to Afghanistan. so for about 2 1/2 weeks this will be my Daily driver for sure in that time period. The average temp for the time I am going to be there will probably NOT drop below 50 F. So maybe I'll just stick to Stock.

If you are going to drive it for 2 and a half weeks stay stock. Just don't be psycho

Hey guys, installed the Sottozero on the Shelby, unbelievably comfortable, I wish I could use them year round, no comparison to the stock ones...I know they are two different tires all around though. Can anyone tell if there is a ALL SEASON (year round) tires same sizes as STOCK I could use it? as I really do not want to be swapping them every 6 months...I got some BAD scratches in my rims while changing the tires! I can see that the rims are covered with paint over a BLACK RIM. Too bad, but what can you do! PLEASE ANYONE AWARE OF ALL SEASON TIRES, LET ME KNOW. TKS BRAZTANG

Dunlop Continental extreme is the all season tire for the shelby. If this happened to you though then you didn't take your car to a proper place with a mounting system with low profile tires.

Did you warn them if they scratch it they have to pay for it? Also you should have stayed there and watched. I know I did the first time they changed a tire on the crap rack. But nothing happened with me on the proper low profile rack.

But yea I told you the pirellis smooth out the ride so much.

I just installed all season Conti Extreme DWS 275 40 19 on Ford Racing GT black "track pack" 19 *9 wheels. I've got two thousand miles with temps from 75 to 20 degrees F and they are a very good off season tire. No problems with rubbing. Ride is good, consistent decent traction. Car has SVT PP and Ford Racing lowering springs. Same size all around has the advantage of being able to rotate back to front.

I had LM-25 Biizzards but realized after two seasons I would never be in snow and putting snows on in September when the temps dropped here looked pretty silly. The black wheels are great for the crap roads around Boston and the paint can be touched up by the same dr. color chip kit for my 97 Cobra. Don't ask how I know.

Thanks, I just built the order with Tirerack and it came to just over $1440. Top job! I will give my local tire tire shop tomorrow a chance to match that, but seeing as they told me on Saturday that there was nothing available for my car I suspect I'll be mail ordering these tomorrow.

285/35/20 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II 240 Rear

255/40/19 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II 240 Frt

Thanks again, M

Had the above Sottozero's fitted this weekend at our local Belletire. $1556 fitted and balanced - and the rims were untouched!!

Anyway, what a difference in traction. I drove the car yesterday at an indicated 24F and it had soooooooooooo much traction!!!! Bring on the snow!!

Thanks everyone!!

braztang, clarify for me. You took your car in to get the tires mounted and got it back from the installer with wheels scratched and covered with paint? I'll wait...

Hello,

I did install the tires, the machine has a metal end, no plastic, so it scractehd all the wheels in the very board. I mentioned that underneath that beautiful stock color, it is a flat black color...not that was painted.

Anyway, you cannot really see it, unless you REALLY look at it, so what can you do it?

All I need now is a set of ALL SEASON tires for my wheels or a set of extra wheels, so I don't have to do this every 6 months.

Take care,

braztang

Had the above Sottozero's fitted this weekend at our local Belletire. $1556 fitted and balanced - and the rims were untouched!!

Anyway, what a difference in traction. I drove the car yesterday at an indicated 24F and it had soooooooooooo much traction!!!! Bring on the snow!!

Thanks everyone!!

Man,

I am completely amazed with the sottozero tires, unbeliavable traction, no more spining when leaving from 1 to 2 gear! and not more NOISE and HARD RIDING!

I wish we could just use these tires year round! CAN WE? any literated inputs?

Thanks,

braztang

Man,

I am completely amazed with the sottozero tires, unbeliavable traction, no more spining when leaving from 1 to 2 gear! and not more NOISE and HARD RIDING!

I wish we could just use these tires year round! CAN WE? any literated inputs?

Thanks,

braztang

There is one day that it was 80 degrees and I was driving with them. You can drive with them during summer. Just don't do crazy crap with them. Apparently though the michelins PSS also smooth out the ride very well and they are the best summer tire money can buy.

I am running the 20" 50th Alcoa's with Toyo Proxes 4Plus all season. 255/35/30 front and 295/30/20 rear....great fit and plenty of grip.

Any problems or concerns with braking with these tires? I am caught between the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II and these Proxes 4. I looked at the Continentals, but I am not sure I like those as much. SVT13 mentioned a slight problem could present itself under extreme emergency braking like when ABS comes on. I want to know how these proxes stop. I am also skeptical since they are so new, and not many have reviews on them.

Any problems or concerns with braking with these tires? I am caught between the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II and these Proxes 4. I looked at the Continentals, but I am not sure I like those as much. SVT13 mentioned a slight problem could present itself under extreme emergency braking like when ABS comes on. I want to know how these proxes stop. I am also skeptical since they are so new, and not many have reviews on them.

Granted the slight skid or hop I experienced might also be because the tires aren't fully broken in yet. I know tirerack says to be very careful for the first 1000 miles of new tires because some kind of thing may still be on them that won't have them operate as well. I just know when I was doing say a 35 mph like 90 degree turn and all the sudden some stupid truck ran the red light I slammed my brakes and thats when I got that little hop/skid that I never got with the good years.

I don't see how an all season tire would be better though since during extreme cold it's still not as grippy as a full winter tire.

• 1 month later...

sorry to bring this thread back to life but would 295/30R20 pirelli winter scottozer serie II fit in the rear on stock rims? and would 255/40R20 be ok up front?

The 295/30R20 should be OK in the rear, though a 295/35R20 would be closer to the original tires' overall diameter. If you're using stock rims, 255/40R20 tires aren't going to work in the front where you need a 19" tire.

Archived