TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Tires for 2013 GT500?

AgentIan

Hi All,

Went to Bell Tire yesterday to get some winter tires fitted to my stock 19 and 20" rims, but they said they had nothing to fit. Have any of you found a good winter tire that will fit on the standard rims?

The guy did try and sell me a set of 18" wheels and tires that he "guaranteed" would fit until I showed him how close the front brake caliper is to the 19" wheel! Shame really, as I would be fine buying a nice set of winter rims and tires if I knew that they would fit.

I really don't want to garage it for the winter :(

M

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice if you could go 19" on all 4 corners and use the 275-40-19 tires.

Perhaps I might have to. The Continental Extremecontact DWS doesn't seem to come in a 285/35/20. Has anyone been able to match up the same model of tire front and rear, even if they had to go a little narrower or wider?

M

Pirelli sotozero gen 2. I use them right now. They have 285/35 rear and you will have to go 255/40 in the front. It's ok to use a 255 in the front. Even the SVT manual says to use that for a winter tire.

Hello there,

I am interested in buying the same tires you mentioned.

QUESTION:

Do they fit without any problems with the SVTPP BREMBRO breaks?

Can you reuse the TPS on the stock wheels with these tires?

Which one is the CORRECT ones:

FRONT

255/40R19 100V ???

REAR

285/35R20 104V XL ????

285/35R20 104W XL ????

Thanks a lot for your information and help.

braztang

Hello there,

I am interested in buying the same tires you mentioned.

QUESTION:

Is you GT500 a 2013 SVT with Performance Package?

Thank you

braztang

Yes it is. But there is no difference in rim size or tire size between SVTPP and base. Get the Pirellis they are good. Tirerack has them for 1440 shipped.

Dear Snoopy49,

Can you tell me what are yout thoughts on the Conti vs Pirelli Sottozero S II?

One thing I noticed is that the Conti is a better looking tire, and I only need the tires for LOW temperatures, as I will not drive on snow at all.

I have been driving my car with STOCK tires on temps below 40F and IT REALLY SUCKS! it is like a rock and it spins ALL THE TIME.

Any thoughts,

Thanks

braztang

There is no 265/40 made with that tire. Thats why 255 is fine and why the manual states its ok. I couldn't find any winter tire that had a 265/40 for a 19 inch rim. And the 285/35W is fine. Call them they will set you straight.

Thanks, the only thing with the Sottozero is that the design looks too rough! I only need it for LOW temps, not snow at all.

Can you shoot a picture of yours in case they are already installed?

Thanks

braztang

Thanks, the only thing with the Sottozero is that the design looks too rough! I only need it for LOW temps, not snow at all.

Can you shoot a picture of yours in case they are already installed?

Thanks

braztang

I can post pictures the site won't let me. I am not driving my car in the snow. This is only for low temperatures. These tires ride better than the good years if you ask me. The ride is smooth which shocked me, no more bumpyness that I hated from day 1 with this car. Also no more rocks hitting my car.

For a bit of perspective the pirellis are what Ford used when testing and designing this car during the cold winter months in Michigan. If you plan on switching tires every 6 months like me don't go for a compromise. Any all season tire is a compromise keep that in mind. If you are going to get all season then get it but don't switch to summer otherwise it is not worth it. Either go all season all year round. Or winter/summer. Given how tires are really one of the most important things on a car for it to perform in all areas I won't put a compromise on that.

I can post pictures the site won't let me. I am not driving my car in the snow. This is only for low temperatures. These tires ride better than the good years if you ask me. The ride is smooth which shocked me, no more bumpyness that I hated from day 1 with this car. Also no more rocks hitting my car.

For a bit of perspective the pirellis are what Ford used when testing and designing this car during the cold winter months in Michigan. If you plan on switching tires every 6 months like me don't go for a compromise. Any all season tire is a compromise keep that in mind. If you are going to get all season then get it but don't switch to summer otherwise it is not worth it. Either go all season all year round. Or winter/summer. Given how tires are really one of the most important things on a car for it to perform in all areas I won't put a compromise on that.

Thanks again,

great input.

The same here, no snow but low temp driving only, which the STOCK tires really suck.

Regards,

braztang

braztang,

I don't have any first hand knowledge on any of the tires, but I have read good things on the Continentals and the Michelin's. I am going with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. They may not be appropriate for your conditions, I live in California on the central coast, so I don't see many days where the temps dip below the mid 30's.

Call Tire Rack or Discount Tire and get their opinion/suggestion on the tires.

Tire Rack - 1-888-353-5082

Discount Tire

FYI, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's come in 265/40R19. I got a set of the Ford Racing wheels (19x9's) all around and put the Michelins on. Why wheels also? Winter is hard on wheels and the stocks scratch easy. Also, the idea of someone mounting and unmounting every 6 months and the potential for scratches does not sit well. Bad experience in the past.

FYI, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's come in 265/40R19. I got a set of the Ford Racing wheels (19x9's) all around and put the Michelins on. Why wheels also? Winter is hard on wheels and the stocks scratch easy. Also, the idea of someone mounting and unmounting every 6 months and the potential for scratches does not sit well. Bad experience in the past.

If you use the correct rack that is not at a standard dealer but one for a race car it doesn't scratch at all. But it is still annoying. alcoas are my summer rim

If you use the correct rack that is not at a standard dealer but one for a race car it doesn't scratch at all. But it is still annoying. alcoas are my summer rim

I will say that when my local Ford dealer mounted my winter tires there were absolutely no scratches at all - kudos to them.

Pretty timely. Between now and my last post I went down to the dealer to pick up my TPMS activation tool that I had forgotten to get from them. Took a stroll around the lot with my 4yr old. Got back to the main bldg and there was a red '13 sitting in line for service. Looked a little closer and wouldn't you know it...he had Pirelli Sottozero Series II, 285/35R20 in the back and 255/40R19 up front. I am pretty picky about the aesthetics of tires, and when first looking into winter tires (for the stock wheels) was a little worried how the 255's would look up front. They look great on the '13! If I had kept the stock wheels for my winter setup this is definitely the route I would have gone. Had the Pirellis on my last ride (335i) and they were great.

Yes it is. But there is no difference in rim size or tire size between SVTPP and base. Get the Pirellis they are good. Tirerack has them for 1440 shipped.

Thanks, I just built the order with Tirerack and it came to just over $1440. Top job! I will give my local tire tire shop tomorrow a chance to match that, but seeing as they told me on Saturday that there was nothing available for my car I suspect I'll be mail ordering these tomorrow.

285/35/20 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II 240 Rear

255/40/19 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II 240 Frt

Thanks again, M

Pirellis....you won't be sorry.

Hey buddy,

Bought the tires at TIRERACK.COM

Mentioned you as a referal (SVT13 from teamshelby.com) they told me to advise that when you buy something from them in the future, to let them know you are SVT13 from teamshelby.com for a special discount.

I bought the 255/40/R19 100V and the 285/35/20 104V as well, which according to them, the V matches the speeds classification.

Any advice on installing them? did you do anything special? I should I request any special attention to the installation?

Thanks buddy,

braztang

Take pictures of your wheels to document condition prior to getting the mounting done. Personally, I would look over the wheels also with the installer just like a rental car co does to document exst condition. May seem paranoid, but the last time I went to a shop recommended by Tire Rack they put scratches on all 4 wheels. I only go to dealers now for mounting.

Hey buddy,

Bought the tires at TIRERACK.COM

Mentioned you as a referal (SVT13 from teamshelby.com) they told me to advise that when you buy something from them in the future, to let them know you are SVT13 from teamshelby.com for a special discount.

I bought the 255/40/R19 100V and the 285/35/20 104V as well, which according to them, the V matches the speeds classification.

Any advice on installing them? did you do anything special? I should I request any special attention to the installation?

Thanks buddy,

braztang

lol thanks. I'll use that when I order my michelins from them. Do you remember who you ordered from?

The only thing is as usual the dealership or who ever doing the mounting needs to be careful not to scratch the rims. The mounting system most dealerships have will do that. Now the first time I changed one tire because it popped I was at my dealership when they did it and we put layers of microfibers over everything. Even with doing that I still got 2 very very baby scratches maybe 1mm long on the inside of the rim which no one sees anyways because the tire covers it. Also one tire took around 40 minutes to do.

When I went to get these mounted there was a smarter service guy who said there is a place they can take it to that has a tire changer specifically for low profile tires and rims that damage easily. I don't remember what the rack was called but they used it and did it real quick with zero scratches. I only paid 100 dollars for that where the dealer said the standard fee for them is 180 but including how long it would take for charge more and also they just were very scared to touch my rims because I told them if they scratch it they are paying 2k for another one but they can't say no.

So my suggestion to you is fine someone with a mounting system that is made for low profile tires.

Take pictures of your wheels to document condition prior to getting the mounting done. Personally, I would look over the wheels also with the installer just like a rental car co does to document exst condition. May seem paranoid, but the last time I went to a shop recommended by Tire Rack they put scratches on all 4 wheels. I only go to dealers now for mounting.

^This is exactly right. Before I left my car at the dealership I made my service guy and the service manager walk around all 4 rims with me to see how there isn't a single scratch on them.

Apparently this is something standard that has to be done with ZR1s on chevy dealerships which I'm suprised it isn't standard for a gt500.

Here is a pic of the '13 with Pirellis.

Hmm, that looks an awful lot like my car B)

That wouldn't happen to be in the Snohomish area would it? My car was at Bickford Ford yesterday, getting FRPP springs and Steeda adjustable panhard bar installed.

I've run the Pirelli's on my '10, '12, and now the '13, and I can't say enough good things about them. They are dedicated winter sport tires. In the northwest we see temps that drop into the 20's and light snow. If I was in a milder climate, I'd probably choose an all-season tire, instead of a winter tire.

Hmm, that looks an awful lot like my car B)

That wouldn't happen to be in the Snohomish area would it? My car was at Bickford Ford yesterday, getting FRPP springs and Steeda adjustable panhard bar installed.

I've run the Pirelli's on my '10, '12, and now the '13, and I can't say enough good things about them. They are dedicated winter sport tires. In the northwest we see temps that drop into the 20's and light snow. If I was in a milder climate, I'd probably choose an all-season tire, instead of a winter tire.

Yep That's Bickford Ford. So you paid 10 K over MSRP or Did you not buy it from them?

Archived