TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Directive from Ford--PCM

Lutzcat

I went today to get an oil change at the local dealer, while there I asked if there were any updates in the system that I need. First thing out of his mouth was (only thing I know of concerning the GT 500 is not to do anything to the computer (PCM I guess), unless necessary}. I joked about doing super tunes and blowing up engines for them finding out. He was clueless. but he did say it was from the regional rep.

OK, since the smuggling days I've always been paranoid somewhat, Where there's smoke, there's fire, for a action, there's a reaction, and also if there is an action, there is a reason. My interpretation of this is Ford is covering their ass so they can see any programming done if failures do occur. 15k a pop per engine, I can see why, though none we know so far.

Lutzcat

I went today to get an oil change at the local dealer, while there I asked if there were any updates in the system that I need. First thing out of his mouth was (only thing I know of concerning the GT 500 is not to do anything to the computer (PCM I guess), unless necessary}. I joked about doing super tunes and blowing up engines for them finding out. He was clueless. but he did say it was from the regional rep.

OK, since the smuggling days I've always been paranoid somewhat, Where there's smoke, there's fire, for a action, there's a reaction, and also if there is an action, there is a reason. My interpretation of this is Ford is covering their ass so they can see any programming done if failures do occur. 15k a pop per engine, I can see why, though none we know so far.

Lutzcat

Well I would say that it was absolutely necessary to re-tune it since the beast comes de-tuned to the hilt from the factory and it just begs to be modded!!

No other car I have ever owned responds so well to such simple and relatively inexpensive mods ($ per HP).

Well I would say that it was absolutely necessary to re-tune it since the beast comes detuned to the hilt from the factory and it just begs to be modded!!

No other car I have ever owned responds so well to such simple and relatively inexpensive mods ($ per HP).

What I'm saying is they are looking for any alternations in the computer system other than their own.. In case of major engine failures.

Lutzcat

In other words they are covering their a$$ by saying you messed with the programing which is above and beyond our expectations of this motor and therefore we are ruling your warranty null and void. I have seen it before and You might see it again. Say it ain't so Joe!

In other words they are covering their a$$ by saying you messed with the programing which is above and beyond our expectations of this motor and therefore we are ruling your warranty null and void. I have seen it before and You might see it again. Say it ain't so Joe!

They will only void a warranty claim if the problem can be found to be caused by the modified part. Now if you blow your engine, and they see an aftermarket chip on there, then yeah you are pretty much screwed. But if your fuel pump dies and causes an issue, that's not going to void your warranty if you have the chip.

This was the same deal with the 03/04 Cobras. Thats why its important talk with your service manger at your dealership.

In this case don't change your UCR/LCA and let your drive shaft break or blow your rearend because of wheel hop...let it be known that many of these mods are going to save Ford a lot of warranty money because they didn't do it right the first time. Also, they are like insurance adjusters...don't want to pay as bonus is based on payout on claims. I will never loose a claim mod or no mod...I've done enough depositions!

In this case don't change your UCR/LCA and let your drive shaft break or blow your rearend because of wheel hop...let it be known that many of these mods are going to save Ford a lot of warranty money because they didn't do it right the first time. Also, they are like insurance adjusters...don't want to pay as bonus is based on payout on claims. I will never loose a claim mod or no mod...I've done enough depositions!

[/quote

Hey guys, I read somewhere, can't remember, but Ford also stated that warranty would not be honored on the GT 500's if any damage was due from "racing" the car.

I didn't buy mine to actually race the car, but that statement is pretty open ended isn't it?? Is there any way they could tell by running a check on the CPU if and how many times you got to or close to redline or top speed?? I dun-no, I no nothing about CPU's just inquiring.

arizonabud

Hey guys, I used this on my F-250 diesel when my tranny went out. They were telling me they wouldn't cover it due to all the performance upgrades and as soon as the words came out of my mouth, I had a new tranny installed and seemed to be the only person having any work done. It might help here as well.

Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act

Congress in 1975 enacted the federal Magnuson-Moss Act to regulate written consumer product warranties. The law was meant to give consumers detailed information about warranty coverage before they buy.

Congress charged the Federal Trade Commission with creation of the specifics of the law.

The FTC set down three rules under the Act: the Disclosure Rule, the Pre-Sale Availability Rule and the Dispute Resolution Rule.

Those rules require warrantors to title their written warranty as either "full" or "limited," provide a single, clear and easy-to-read document that spells out certain information about coverage and ensure that warranties are available where the products are sold so that consumers can read them before buying.

In passing the Act, Congress meant to give consumers access to warranty information, let consumers comparison shop for warranties, encourage warranty competition and promote timely and complete performance of warranty obligations.

While the Magnuson-Moss Act does not require manufacturers to provide a written warranty, it provides specific rules when one is provided.

Among those provisions, FTC regulations state: "© No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if - (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest." (42 U.S.C. 2302©)

Hope this helps!

Ruffnit

• 2 weeks later...

Archived