TEAM SHELBY FORUM

failed hood struts shelby performance parts

muleskiner

bought hood strut kit about a year ago from SHELBY PERFORMANCE PARTS my gt500 FACTORY HOOD is stored in climate controlled garage used very rarely opened the hood yesterday SURPRISE they have failed SHELBY PERFORMANCE PARTS response we know about this problem would you like to buy a new upgraded set note these are manufactured by SCOTT DRAKE visited their website NOT FOR USE ON GT500!

I thought the Shelby hood strut kit is from MRT? At least their latest ones. They are identical. The Scott Drakes are a little different. I've been running the MRT ones on my Super Snake hood for awhile now. And those struts on the Shelby store they say they work with the stock hood and Super Snake hoods.

bought hood strut kit about a year ago from SHELBY PERFORMANCE PARTS my gt500 FACTORY HOOD is stored in climate controlled garage used very rarely opened the hood yesterday SURPRISE they have failed SHELBY PERFORMANCE PARTS response we know about this problem would you like to buy a new upgraded set note these are manufactured by SCOTT DRAKE visited their website NOT FOR USE ON GT500!

Unacceptable. Send me an email at JerG@ShelbyAmerican.com with your contact info, I will make this right for you immediately.

Jer

Ah gotcha. Redline Tuning was a good strut on the 08 GT I had. I really like the new Shelby/ MRT struts because they support the hood really good and they are totally out of the way.

I've had the Redline (bright?) hood shocks and Shelby trunk shocks on my 2010 for at least a couple of years now and they still LIFT the hood from about 3 inches open so holding the hood up is obviously not a problem.

Phill

Unacceptable. Send me an email at JerG@ShelbyAmerican.com with your contact info, I will make this right for you immediately.

Jer

Hey Jer,

I have a quick questions and hope that you can help me... When I purchased my Shelby early this year, it had the Whipple SC package addes via a local Ford dealship in the Virginia area. They did a great job with it and I have had no issues at all, but I later found out that the Super Snake hood is a TruFiber aftermarket one. I had already purchased the Shelby Redline Hood Quickft Kit for the SuperSnake and as they are still in the package and have not yet been installed, I was wondering if they are going to work with that hood? Is there a way to get the specs on the wieght tht they should hold? This was I can try to sell them to another member that may be able to use them.

Thanks in advance, Peter

PS, sorry for highjacking the thred...

Hey Jer,

I have a quick questions and hope that you can help me... When I purchased my Shelby early this year, it had the Whipple SC package addes via a local Ford dealship in the Virginia area. They did a great job with it and I have had no issues at all, but I later found out that the Super Snake hood is a TruFiber aftermarket one. I had already purchased the Shelby Redline Hood Quickft Kit for the SuperSnake and as they are still in the package and have not yet been installed, I was wondering if they are going to work with that hood? Is there a way to get the specs on the wieght tht they should hold? This was I can try to sell them to another member that may be able to use them.

Thanks in advance, Peter

PS, sorry for highjacking the thred...

Peter,

Do you have the "no-drill" kit, or the original?

The "no-drill" has a few disclaimers on their site (http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-FORD-MUS-05-BOLTIN.html).

If you have the original, I believe the weight spec for the SS model was 70 pounds, you should be all set.

Jer

Peter,

Do you have the "no-drill" kit, or the original?

The "no-drill" has a few disclaimers on their site (http://www.redlinetu...-05-BOLTIN.html).

If you have the original, I believe the weight spec for the SS model was 70 pounds, you should be all set.

Jer

Jer,

I purchased them off of the Shelby site and not another vendor... (part #S5MB-16612)

Jer,

I purchased them off of the Shelby site and not another vendor... (part #S5MB-16612)

Those are the original that require drilling, and should not have any issues with an aftermarket hood. Just be sure to check clearances, as I can't speak to any variations on TruFiber's part. Good luck, they are cool hood lifts!

Jer

I had the same problem with Scott Drake/SPP hood struts given as Christmas present in 2007. Struts would not hold the hood up after one year of what I would call light duty service. Hood would start to creep down soon after putting it up.

Opted to put the Redline Elite on in spring of 2009 when JLT offered a special buy. These have worked super well and I recommend highly.

Interesting is that I found out I work with the owner of Redline. He has a day job but devouts a lot to making sure product performs well. Even provided new set of clips to retain lift to the ball at one end. Something they developed based on experince he has gained. Removed were not going to be an issue, just he thought it could be better.

Like the Hood struts so much that I also opted for the trunk struts as well though SPP. Another class part to Mod the car with.

DrKSGT

I had the Shelby/Scott Drake ones purchased from Shelby performance store and they failed after 1 year. I was told sorry so I chose to purchase a set of redlines. I am glad they made it right for you and glad to see a change from the company and my purchase from them again now that they have learned the value of a good customer.

Those are the original that require drilling, and should not have any issues with an aftermarket hood. Just be sure to check clearances, as I can't speak to any variations on TruFiber's part. Good luck, they are cool hood lifts!

Jer

Since your are in the know at the Shelby Center of the World, any chance on a lightly used Shelby SS hood or maybe a blow out price??? lol

Thanks again...

Since your are in the know at the Shelby Center of the World, any chance on a lightly used Shelby SS hood or maybe a blow out price??? lol

Thanks again...

Nothing currently, I'm sorry.

Jer

i bought 2 sets one for the wifes SGT the other for my Roush 428 both wouldnt hold the hood up . called Shelby dont know who talked to. but said that batch wasnt made to specs. and sent me two new sets i think they lasted about 2 months .

ended up buying redlines for both cars been a little over a year and there still working great

JIM

It kills me to hear these stories. These kinds of part failures are unacceptable, and I'm not going to tolerate it.

Going forward, I hope everyone's getting my message: Contact me directly with customer service issues. I'm going to make it right.

JerG@ShelbyAmerican.com

Jer

Just received a pair of struts for my SS from SPP. They came from MRT. Anybody have problems with these? I don't want to put them on if failure is soon to follow.

The failures seem to be from an earlier item, before my tenure, when the struts were sourced from elsewhere. I haven't heard any complaints from recent purchasers.

That being said, if you have any issues, you know where to find me.

Jer

We'll do Jer and thanks for your support. I plan to put them on this weekend even though the car is put away for the winter (live in MN). Hopefully, next spring they will still be fine. If not, I'll give you a call. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

i bought 2 sets one for the wifes SGT the other for my Roush 428 both wouldnt hold the hood up . called Shelby dont know who talked to. but said that batch wasnt made to specs. and sent me two new sets i think they lasted about 2 months .

ended up buying redlines for both cars been a little over a year and there still working great

JIM

Jer, I am planning on buying Hood strut Kit Z32-S5MK-16612-U for my 2008 Shelby GT. Have the issues with them failing been resolved? Do these have Shelby stickes on them?

Jer, I am planning on buying Hood strut Kit Z32-S5MK-16612-U for my 2008 Shelby GT. Have the issues with them failing been resolved? Do these have Shelby stickes on them?

Those have been good performers for us, and yes, they are Shelby-branded... these are NOT the earlier units that people had trouble with.

Jer

Those have been good performers for us, and yes, they are Shelby-branded... these are NOT the earlier units that people had trouble with.

Jer

Thanks . Perfect. I want to keep only Shelby parts on my SGT and display the brand..

Thanks . Perfect. I want to keep only Shelby parts on my SGT and display the brand..

Thank you!

:salute:

Jer

According to the picture I dont see that they have Shelby stickers on it......unless that they have and I dont see them :drop:

According to the picture I dont see that they have Shelby stickers on it......unless that they have and I dont see them :drop:

Yes, the stickers aren't seen in the photo.

Jer

Archived