TEAM SHELBY FORUM

pesky low tire pressure....can pressure sensors leak?

blk12svt

I bought my '12 in January with 150 delivery miles and it just rolled over 1200 miles so I obviously don't drive it much. It once sat for six weeks between rides. Part of the reason is every time I get in it after it has sat a week or two the low pressure display is showing and I have to drag out the compressor and don't always have time to do that for a quick ride as time is the main problem anyway.

It's always the left front that's low and it's always at 20 lbs. Is it possible for the sensors that measure pressure to leak? I guess if it's impossible for them to leak I just have a bad seal between the tire and rim. I've still never got around to putting Pilot Sports on so maybe when that day comes the problem will be solved.

It is more than likely that your tire is losing air around the bead. I had the exact same problem as you. The sensor itself can't leak but the valve stem seal could. I would pursue having a tire shop break the bead /dress the seat on the rim and reinstall.

This is really strange. The left front tire on my 2012 was also low (20 pounds) at delivery. Turns out, the back side of the tire was not seated against the rim. Dealer fix was to deflate the tire, break the bead on the back side, and then re-inflate to 50 PSI to make sure it fully seated. Then they adjusted the air to the correct pressure (35 PSI). That was 6 months ago. No more problems.

Mix up some leak detector solution and brush it around the bead area and make sure you remove the valve stem caps and get the solution into the valve stem. If there is a leak you will see a bunch of bubbles. It could be a loose valve stem core.

Leak detector solution - 1 teaspoon of dish soap and 8 ounces of water.

Thanks for the tips. I am due for my first oil change so will have the Ford store sort it out, assuming they have the equipment to do so. Would feel better having them do it but gotta deal with the Michelin dealer at some point anyway. It always worries me when someone else is messing with it... Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Had the problem with three of my tires. Always it was the valve stem which had a leak. The leak occur because the vave stems are made from rubber and the centrifugal force of the tire sensor which is mounted directly to the valve stem itself will make the valve stem sheer on the rim where it goes through the rim especially on higher speeds or burnouts where the centrifugal forces do increase.

Changed the sensor and the rubber valve stems against metal valve stems, for example from Dorman industries. Plug&Play just new TPMS learning. Since than I have no issues and I drive with 280-300 km/h on the german autobahn.

It is more than likely that your tire is losing air around the bead. I had the exact same problem as you. The sensor itself can't leak but the valve stem seal could. I would pursue having a tire shop break the bead /dress the seat on the rim and reinstall.

Hopefully my wife will never read this:

Take the tire off. Fill a bathtub with water, high enough that the sidewall of the tire AND the rim can be submerged in water. Roll the tire (if you have a good back, carry it) to the tub and place it standing up in the tub of water. "Roll" the tire around slowly until you see bubbles and you found your leak. I always roll it a full turn just in case the leak you find isn't one of many.

A valve stem is easy to check. Just pull the cap and spit on the tip. If it bubbles, it need a new valve or tighten the existing one with a valve stem remover.

Phill

Archived