TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 Shelby has no class !

svtbird91

Mustangs Unimited in Manchester CT is hosting a Mustang car show this Sunday April 29th. This show is co-sponsered by SAAC new england and mustangs unlinited. I noticed in the registration form there is a total of (3) Shelby classes none of which include the new 06 GTH or 07 GT500.

They have decided to put our cars in with "other limited edition vehicles" .

I 'E' mailed SAAC this morning about this matter and this is their responce, thought everyone should know where SAAC stands on this matter. My 'E' mail was recieved by saac national director Rick Kopec then forwarded to Gene Koss at the new England region.

Dear sirs,

> I see that Saac is a co sponser of the car show at Mustange Unlimited this

> Sundau April 29.

>

> Upon looking at the different classes being judged I noticed that there are 3

> different classes for the older Shelby Mustangs but none for any of the 2006

> GTH or 2007 GT500 . As a member I would like to know if this is the case or I

> am mistaken. I would like to enter my 07 GT500 as a Shelby.

> Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Thank you,

> George >

George:

SAAC's New England Region is the co-sponsor, not the national. I am forwarding your letter to Gens Koss. I'm sure he will respond.

Best regards,

Rick Kopec

George,

Have your inquiry through SAAC's national office.

Appreciate your interest in event.

While there will not be a specific class for '07 GT500s, there will be an appropriate class where new Shelbys will compete with other limited edition vehicles.

Believe me, this has been thought about and is the subject of discussion in the event planning process, not just for this event (and there was specific discussion and negotiation on this very topic, this winter/spring). But SAACNE and its sponsor/host organizations are limited in what can be provided for all of the people in this diverse hobby who bring vehicles to events. Based on what the club and its sponsors and hosts had before us, we could not provide trophies for a new class or classes covering 2006 GTH or 2007 GT500 cars. This will be reexamined as we plan and negotiate for future events.

Hope you can appreciate our situation, we could not have everything we want or everything you want. Again, as attendance at events change, events will evolve to respond.

Regards, Gene.

I have written back expressing that I am troubled by this decision and that it shows that they do not give the new Shelbys the same respect they give to the older Shelbys.

George......

07ShelbyShowReg.pdf

07ShelbyShowReg.pdf

Mustangs Unimited in Manchester CT is hosting a Mustang car show this Sunday April 29th. This show is co-sponsered by SAAC new england and mustangs unlinited. I noticed in the registration form there is a total of (3) Shelby classes none of which include the new 06 GTH or 07 GT500.

I 'E' mailed SAAC this morning about this matter and this is their responce, thought everyone should know where SAAC stands on this matter. My 'E' mail was recieved by saac national director Rick Kopec then forwarded to Gene Koss at the new England region.

I have written back expressing that I am troubled by this decision and that it shows that they do not give the new Shelbys the same respect they give to the older Shelbys.

George......

Thats rely not funny. Since I belong to SVT and they have kind of merged with SAAC that they don't acknowledge our vehicles. Makes a fellow wonder what makes the wheel go around.

Sounds like a self-fulfiling prophesy in the making to me... I read their response (between the lines, of course) as:

They decided they can't afford trophies for the '06GTH and '07GT500 because the don't know how many will participate.

So now that likely assures that fewer will participate in the future and will ultimately justify the dubious wisdom of their blindly misguided decision.

Don't laugh -- I've heard executives kill a new product because no one asked for it.... it's like going to see if any cars are waiting where the bridge over the chasm would be IF it were built. Of course, there's never any cars waiting (because there's no bridge!) and so the bridge doesn't ever get built.

So makes you wonder... how many new Shelby owners did they survey to base their decision on. I'd bet none! They likely just talked about it in a well-meaning fashion among themselves... that's what self-fulfilling prophesies are made of :)

They're probably all nice folks, so I don't mean to be ragging on them, but you have to wonder....

Dan

Sounds like a self-fulfiling prophesy in the making to me... I read their response (between the lines, of course) as:

They decided they can't afford trophies for the '06GTH and '07GT500 because the don't know how many will participate.

So now that likely assures that fewer will participate in the future and will ultimately justify the dubious wisdom of their blindly misguided decision.

Don't laugh -- I've heard executives kill a new product because no one asked for it.... it's like going to see if any cars are waiting where the bridge over the chasm would be IF it were built. Of course, there's never any cars waiting (because there's no bridge!) and so the bridge doesn't ever get built.

So makes you wonder... how many new Shelby owners did they survey to base their decision on. I'd bet none! They likely just talked about it in a well-meaning fashion among themselves... that's what self-fulfilling prophesies are made of :)

They're probably all nice folks, so I don't mean to be ragging on them, but you have to wonder....

Dan

Well I guess it worked because I won't be attending because of their short sightedness. I'm sorry now that I became a member in SAAC.

This decision of theirs makes no sence to me at all except to prove that they really don't view this car as a true Shelby.....actions speak Louder than words....

George......

george,

save your money, energy, and time and come to Shelbyfest 2008 in Missouri. We just had the first of what we hope to become an annual event and had 24 new GT500's. We might branch out and start judging cars but even if we don't, everyone there (including the 12 or so vintage cars that showed up) thought our Shelby's were da bomb.

I'll be happy to send you pictures if it will lure you into coming.

Cobra Boy

This is not unusual for brand new cars. The MCA lumps all new cars into a popular vote category with no judging. Remember back many years there was a similar discussion about the Shelby's produced in Dearborn as opposed to LA; thi will pass......

fwiw; I got the cold shoulder from the '67-'70 Shelby owners at the national MCA show last weekend. Guess I didn't look rich enough.....

george,

save your money, energy, and time and come to Shelbyfest 2008 in Missouri. We just had the first of what we hope to become an annual event and had 24 new GT500's. We might branch out and start judging cars but even if we don't, everyone there (including the 12 or so vintage cars that showed up) thought our Shelby's were da bomb.

Cobra Boy

We can start our own Shelby Association...that's how the NFL got started! I'll bet we can even make better t-shirts.

I'm serious though...there are a lot of old Shelby members who are unhappy with the way SAAC is being run.

SAAC was very willing to accept my VIN and my fee as a 'Shelby'. I will reserve judgement for now but this doesn't look good. If trophy expense was the issue then don't give em out for the 07 GT500 but create a show category called 'Modern Shelby Vehicles'. Anything but 'other limited edition vehicles'. Definitely BAD form on their part.

SAAC was very willing to accept my VIN and my fee as a 'Shelby'. I will reserve judgement for now but this doesn't look good. If trophy expense was the issue then don't give em out for the 07 GT500 but create a show category called 'Modern Shelby Vehicles'. Anything but 'other limited edition vehicles'. Definitely BAD form on their part.

I've got their sticker on my windshield, the other owners still didn't give me the time of day......It will take time for this car to be accepted by that group of folks.

Well I guess it worked because I won't be attending because of their short sightedness. I'm sorry now that I became a member in SAAC.

This decision of theirs makes no sence to me at all except to prove that they really don't view this car as a true Shelby.....actions speak Louder than words....

Yeah, I don't blame you... it's ared to support an organization with a Shelby charter that treats their newborn as second class.

George, I was thinking... if you put up a sticky poll to guage how how folks here feel about SAAC's decision, that'd be unambiguous feedback that you can then e-mail SAAC a link to... might help them see that the time is now to embrace their latest offspring. Heck, there's already as many '06/'07s as all the known oldies still in existence!

I think sprint200 makes a good point too... likely just part of the car's newness... and I remember how the '68s were viewed as outcasts initially... didn't last long tho ;-)

george,

Cobra Boy

Thanks for the invite CB, I was looking forward to going to this show it's only about an hour away. I'm afraid Missouri is a bit far for me though ,must be about a 12 hr drive + hotel ect.

When SAAC opened the club to the new Shelbys I thought this would never happen......guess I was wrong...oh well...

I've got their sticker on my windshield, the other owners still didn't give me the time of day......It will take time for this car to be accepted by that group of folks.

I hear ya sprint. I can be (and will be) very patient. Change is inevitable but often difficult to deal with for many of us.

Yeah, I don't blame you... it's ared to support an organization with a Shelby charter that treats their newborn as second class.

George, I was thinking... if you put up a sticky poll to guage how how folks here feel about SAAC's decision, that'd be unambiguous feedback that you can then e-mail SAAC a link to... might help them see that the time is now to embrace their latest offspring. Heck, there's already as many '06/'07s as all the known oldies still in existence!

I think sprint200 makes a good point too... likely just part of the car's newness... and I remember how the '68s were viewed as outcasts initially... didn't last long tho ;-)

Good idea Dan ....you'd be better at wording the questions than I would be soooo.........:stirpot:

You got to realize that this is only one SAAC regional club that has decided not have a specific class for the 07`for Shelby this year . This does not mean that SAAC does not recognize the 07 ` Shelby & I would thing that the main SAAC Convention will have classes for all the new SHELBYS. SAAC is encouraging everyone to register their 07` Shelby as the new registry is scheduled to go to print in the fall. This is not only a registry its also a HISTORY book don`t miss out on it .

:finger: OK I think this has gone too far. We are missing the point.

I don't speak for SAAC, but I had a LONG discussion with Gene on the phone the other day before this thread was started and he explained to me the Mustangs Unlimited buys the trophys and it would be a waste to have three trophys attendence if only one or two cars showed up. They were not sure how many of the new cars would even attend. In order to have a "class" , then you have to have enough cars for a decent competition. If three cars show and three trophys are available isn't that a waste of money of trophys? Give them a chance!

What that means is... go to the show, participate and show your car. SAAC needs Shelby GT500s, Shelby GTs and GT-Hs to be at the shows and to see they are serious about competing and want to be recognized. I truly do not think it is a "slam" against the new owners.

Personally, I plan to show up and see the other cars and talk with owners, etc. Frankly I'm not into trophys and could care less about winning or not. My car is driven and thats my point of view. I'll pay the $10.00 for a good parking space and forget the trophys.

IF you are into competing, then SAAC needs to see lots of our new cars there.

(phew, I feel better now) :banghead:

This is not unusual for brand new cars. The MCA lumps all new cars into a popular vote category with no judging. Remember back many years there was a similar discussion about the Shelby's produced in Dearborn as opposed to LA; thi will pass......

fwiw; I got the cold shoulder from the '67-'70 Shelby owners at the national MCA show last weekend. Guess I didn't look rich enough.....

Sprint, Don't feel like an orphan, I got the same feeling at MCA from many in that group. Your point about being the new kid in town has a great deal of merit. I'm very proud of my Shelby as we are all, but pride is one of the seven deadly sins for a reason. I will probably be a little less sensitive as time goes on. Thanks for the great pic of my Shelby. White with Tungsten, the only one at MCA!

I'm upset I can not be there at 9:00am when the gates open with my 07. I had planned to pay the $10 so I could place my votes for other interests that will be there Sunday. At no time did I plan to place any envelope on my Shelby for ballots. What would others be casting a vote for? Who has the most money to buy an 07? No one has to confirm my Shelby is a real Shelby or not. My ownership title tells me I have a real Shelby.

I'm upset because I have to work Saturday night and won''t make it to CT until around 1:00pm. I want my 07 to be with other 07's so i can take pictures. Hell I haven't even seen another Shelby yet. I want to let interested Mustang folks see one probably for their first time. I want to talk to other 07 owners about their wheel hop, etc. See you all Sunday afternoon.

Something to keep in mind as well how do you judge a car like the 07 GT500 they don't have any rules or guidelines listed for it yet. Its all subjective to judge one versus the other. They don't even know final product numbers or any variations that are taking place during the production run. I think in a year or two their will be a class setup for each car from the new era.

As for old school shelby guys not digging the new cars I bet they hate the cars from unique performance, restomods,the CSX cobras and any shelby clones (aka shelby reproductions) they see too. You have the official real deal Carroll Shelby says so be happy :D.

IMHO the car restoration hobby needs changing and the culture will have to as well, its gotten so much about how much money you car can go for on Barrett Jackson for some folks that its not really as much fun as it once was. Alot of us are turned off by it. I used to love to go to shows now its really something I don't do alot of because of the extent some people will go just to get a trophy makes it seem more of a ego trip than just enjoying old and cool cars.

On a side note saw something cool last sunday at Rockingham at the drag races their where 2 67 shelbys running 428's they didn't make it deep into the last day but they where pretty fast and looked cool sporting wheelie bars :D

As far as the SAAC regionals group's concern about having a class for only a few cars, I would offer this. The Fabulous Fords Forever show was this past Sunday in Buena Park, CA (20 Miles southeast of LA). They had a class for 2007 Shelby Mustangs. Obviously they were only considering GT500s or there was an oversite about the GT-Hs. I digress, they had a class and there were about 25 GT500s, 2 Shelby GTs and 2 GT-Hs. If the club in question is worried about having three class and only one or two cars show up for each class then they could have offered a S197 Shelby or 2006+ Shelby Mustang class. I could see that happening for a couple or few years until there are more of each variation.

For the guys who are upset they have paid an SAAC membership or holding off because of this treatment, please consider it is always easier to change a group from the inside than from the outside. The numbers of members and S197 Shelbys will increase in SAAC and then they will have to begin treating their membership the same. Some things just take time. However, this topic does raise concern about the national convention. Our cars are already grouped into what sounds like the third teir show unless you go with a pretty much stock car then you would be in the second teir show. I know the convention is a bit more about the track time but the question is how will our generation of cars be accepted at the National Convention. Maybe in July we will really have some concerns to complain about. I hope not. Being a SAAC member is one of the things I am looking forward to as a Shelby owner.

I don't speak for SAAC, but I had a LONG discussion with Gene on the phone the other day before this thread was started and he explained to me the Mustangs Unlimited buys the trophys and it would be a waste to have three trophys attendence if only one or two cars showed up. They were not sure how many of the new cars would even attend. In order to have a "class" , then you have to have enough cars for a decent competition. If three cars show and three trophys are available isn't that a waste of money of trophys? Give them a chance!

What that means is... go to the show, participate and show your car. SAAC needs Shelby GT500s, Shelby GTs and GT-Hs to be at the shows and to see they are serious about competing and want to be recognized. I truly do not think it is a "slam" against the new owners.

Personally, I plan to show up and see the other cars and talk with owners, etc. Frankly I'm not into trophys and could care less about winning or not. My car is driven and thats my point of view. I'll pay the $10.00 for a good parking space and forget the trophys.

You're missing the point . Its not about the trophy it's about not including the new Shelbys in the Shelby group but considering it just another limited edition car . There is a concern about this because many have said this car is not a true Shelby it's more an SVT car. By SAAC not including it with the Shelbys makes you wonder how they actually view it. :banghead: Especially now that they have joined up with SVTOA......?

Maybe in time this will change but for now like I said Actions speak louder than words.

You guys worry to much. Kick back and enjoy your new Shelby. I have showed my GT500 three times all in different classes and it still pulled three trophys. The first show, the 1st gen. Shelby owners would not allow me in their class. Went to SVT class. The second show, it was placed with the 1st gen. Shelbys. Right along side of the guys from the first show. The thrid show had a class for 06-07 Shelbys. And I have never gotten a bad attitude from 1st gen. Shelby owners. The statement I have gotten from the people in charge of these shows and SAAC was, "a Shelby is a Shelby!". The real point here is, go to the shows and enjoy yourself, don't worry about classes and trophys. Have fun, thats what this car is all about. Things will slowly come about and work themselves out. As far as SAAC goes, I know of one of the registars that has been with SAAC for a very long time wants a GT500 or maybe has one by now. SAAC was the first to open a regisrty for the new Shelbys. SAAC is mostly a historic organization that keeps track of all Shelbys, including Dodge. SAAC, like everyone else, will change. It just takes time to see what the new gen. Shelby owners will do. Please put the attitudes aside, and enjoy your cars. The more events we attend, the faster we will be accepted by all. You don't have to join SAAC if you don't want to, but I would ask you to consider registering your Shelby with them for historic purposes.

Exactly.

Keep in mind, Alot of new shelby owners are cry baby's. They think because they bought a new shelby all sanctions should stop and restructure.

Ive got and idea,Earn your way into the acceptability by showing up.Stop crying because you paid so much for your car you think you are owed special treatment.

Wake up and realize no matter when in time, your "new shelby" will never gain the same respect of the old muscle cars. Alot of you dont realize why the muscle cars are so special.It has more to do with the "simple times" than the cars themselves. I get a big kick out of all the new owners who think they are going to outsmart the car industry. "My car will be worth so much $$ later " " I own a shelby" ...........get over it. YOu bought a svt shelby mustang. Its a great car to DRIVE so quit bitchin and start driving like they were meant to be driven.

You are a very simple minded group.You seem to forget where the word "shelby" came from.

It cam from a man for the love of high performance cars. I really dont think carrol shelby really cared who "accepted him" when he was building them 40 years ago..................

Exactly.

Keep in mind, Alot of new shelby owners are cry baby's. They think because they bought a new shelby all sanctions should stop and restructure.

Ive got and idea,Earn your way into the acceptability by showing up.Stop crying because you paid so much for your car you think you are owed special treatment.

Wake up and realize no matter when in time, your "new shelby" will never gain the same respect of the old muscle cars. Alot of you dont realize why the muscle cars are so special.It has more to do with the "simple times" than the cars themselves. I get a big kick out of all the new owners who think they are going to outsmart the car industry. "My car will be worth so much $$ later " " I own a shelby" ...........get over it. YOu bought a svt shelby mustang. Its a great car to DRIVE so quit bitchin and start driving like they were meant to be driven.

You are a very simple minded group.You seem to forget where the word "shelby" came from.

It cam from a man for the love of high performance cars. I really dont think carrol shelby really cared who "accepted him" when he was building them 40 years ago..................

I know your not talking to me. "Youz people are simple minded"........I know your not talking to me. "Wake up and realize your new Shelby will never gain the same respect." Now I know your not talking to me. :hysterical:

People, enjoy your car. If you don't want to drive them, fine that's your choice. If you want to modify them and get 1,963 rwhp, that's fine there your cars. If you have a complaint to SAAC then by all means voice your opinion, as a Shelby owner you have the right. I personally do not see where SAAC is snubbing anyone, but that's only my opinion.

..........simple minded people..........I know your not talking to me. :hysterical:

Exactly.

Sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulder.. Who said anything about the cost of the car ??? Who's talking about the value of anything here ? How do you know who drives their car or not ?

Calling a group people who own one "simple minded " is way out of line .Maybe you should look in the mirror before calling anyone simple minded.

You guys worry to much. Kick back and enjoy your new Shelby. I have showed my GT500 three times all in different classes and it still pulled three trophys. The first show, the 1st gen. Shelby owners would not allow me in their class. Went to SVT class. The second show, it was placed with the 1st gen. Shelbys. Right along side of the guys from the first show. The thrid show had a class for 06-07 Shelbys. And I have never gotten a bad attitude from 1st gen. Shelby owners. The statement I have gotten from the people in charge of these shows and SAAC was, "a Shelby is a Shelby!". The real point here is, go to the shows and enjoy yourself, don't worry about classes and trophys. Have fun, thats what this car is all about. Things will slowly come about and work themselves out. As far as SAAC goes, I know of one of the registars that has been with SAAC for a very long time wants a GT500 or maybe has one by now. SAAC was the first to open a regisrty for the new Shelbys. SAAC is mostly a historic organization that keeps track of all Shelbys, including Dodge. SAAC, like everyone else, will change. It just takes time to see what the new gen. Shelby owners will do. Please put the attitudes aside, and enjoy your cars. The more events we attend, the faster we will be accepted by all. You don't have to join SAAC if you don't want to, but I would ask you to consider registering your Shelby with them for historic purposes.

Thanks for sharing your experience and views on this subject I appreciate it and will consider it.

This isnt the only post where i get my opinions from.From all my experience on message boards,I can honestly say ive never seen so many cry baby's as ive seen on this one.My opinion stands........

Oh yes, i own a shelby. And yes, there is more to my life than a single car..........

I've been going to this show at Mustangs Unlimited since '91. Usually there are not more than 3 vintage Shelby's there sometimes less. They have 3 trophys per class. They waste 6 trophys a show for the vintage Shelbys that don't show up!!! And I don't wanna hear any talk about the new Shelbys not being Shelbys. That is totally ridiculous. Shelby himself consulted the SVT team. If it wasn't for him, the car wouldn't be what it is today. Last fall at this show 2 '07 GT500's showed up and guess what? Most people were looking at those cars it seems like more than all the other cars combined. SAAC, New England Mustang Club and Mustangs Unlimited- GET WITH IT!!!!!

Archived