TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Laguna Seca Open Track

Kevin Patten

Attention all track whores - NOR-CAL SAAC is once again pulling off a one day open track event at Laguna Seca Raceway on Friday Nov. 23 ( that's the day after Thanksgiving for all you turkey lovers). The sound limit has now been set to 92 db instead of the previously listed 90 db . It is open to all makes of cars ( except open wheel ) and NOR-CAL SAAC membership is not required . Please note that all barrier barrels have been removed and there is plenty of "run off" room ( but deep sand ) for those who ride the berms ( you know who you are ). So come on out and experience a world famous track and work off that feast from the Thanksgiving table. You can register on the NOR-CAL SAAC website.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Thunderhill, that would all be NorCal...not LA aka Lower Alabama... :hysterical3:

I've been to Laguna Seca for the Historic Races, and I guess if I thought about it, I would have realized its not SoCal, but I probably would have considered it 'MidCal'.

Anyway you look at it, I'd still be a lot closer than I am now.

I've been to Laguna Seca for the Historic Races, and I guess if I thought about it, I would have realized its not SoCal, but I probably would have considered it 'MidCal'.

Actually, 'central California'...Central coast to be more specific.

Phill

New here to Team Shelby, saw you mentioned on AFM.

Have never had my exhaust measured for noise, I have a Borla Type S catback, does anybody know if this will fly at Laguna Seca? Would love to join if i'll be under the noise limit.

New here to Team Shelby, saw you mentioned on AFM.

Have never had my exhaust measured for noise, I have a Borla Type S catback, does anybody know if this will fly at Laguna Seca? Would love to join if i'll be under the noise limit.

Any other mods - headers? X pipe? if not, you are OK.

Any other mods - headers? X pipe? if not, you are OK.

Nope, no other mods. Stock headers and cats are still in place, the borla cat-back does replace the h-pipe witha an x-pipe though. Still think I am good to go?

Nope, no other mods. Stock headers and cats are still in place, the borla cat-back does replace the h-pipe witha an x-pipe though. Still think I am good to go?

I think you can view this page on the Nor Cal Shelby Site. Let me know if you can't.

http://www.norcal-sa.../ot/otrules.htm

For you, you'll need to make sure you have gloves and helmet to go along with the long sleeve shirt and Levi's.

4.1.7 HELMETS ***** NOTE that as of January, 2008, SA95, M95 and K98 helmets will no longer be accepted *********

Helmets must meet one of the following Snell ratings: SA95, M95, K98, SA2000, M2000, SA2005, M2005 or later. No Snell SA90 or M90 or earlier helmets are allowed. Helmets showing external damage, chin strap fraying or wear, or missing the Snell sticker in the lining will not be allowed. For open-cockpit cars, all occupants must have helmet face shield lowered or wear goggles. Inspection stickers will be issued for all helmets.

On your car you'll likely want to switch to a good DOT 4 brake fluid like Motul or ATE Super Blue.

A fire extinguisher is also required. I made a mount out of flat steel bar stock bent up a little, or you can buy a mount online.

4.1.8 FIRE EXTINGUISHER A fire extinguisher (2.5lb minimum) must be firmly mounted to solid metallic structure in a metal bracket and be within easy reach of the driver. Both dry chemical and Halon types are acceptable. Integral fire systems are also allowed in all groups.

IMG_3218.jpg

You can check with Nor Cal Shelby Club to make sure but I think the fire extinguisher requirement may have been changed to "recommended". They were talking about making this change up at Thunderhill a couple of weeks ago.

Harald ,

Spectators are free unless you get there late and the ranger is in the entry shack - Laguna Seca is a county park and is subjective to a $6 or $8 entry charge but the club does not charge and all you will be asked to do is sign a wavier for release of liability. If you are wanting to get a ride from someone signed up for the event then you need to bring a helmet,long sleeve shirt ,long leg pants ( blue jeans ok ) close toe shoes and hope the driver has a spare set of gloves and you will need to sign an additional wavier to get a wristband to be a passenger. Also , according to Doug Conn (OTEC member) the fire extinguisher is now a "recommended item" NOT a "requirement".

I think you can view this page on the Nor Cal Shelby Site. Let me know if you can't.

http://www.norcal-sa.../ot/otrules.htm

For you, you'll need to make sure you have gloves and helmet to go along with the long sleeve shirt and Levi's.

4.1.7 HELMETS ***** NOTE that as of January, 2008, SA95, M95 and K98 helmets will no longer be accepted *********

Helmets must meet one of the following Snell ratings: SA95, M95, K98, SA2000, M2000, SA2005, M2005 or later. No Snell SA90 or M90 or earlier helmets are allowed. Helmets showing external damage, chin strap fraying or wear, or missing the Snell sticker in the lining will not be allowed. For open-cockpit cars, all occupants must have helmet face shield lowered or wear goggles. Inspection stickers will be issued for all helmets.

On your car you'll likely want to switch to a good DOT 4 brake fluid like Motul or ATE Super Blue.

A fire extinguisher is also required. I made a mount out of flat steel bar stock bent up a little, or you can buy a mount online.

4.1.8 FIRE EXTINGUISHER A fire extinguisher (2.5lb minimum) must be firmly mounted to solid metallic structure in a metal bracket and be within easy reach of the driver. Both dry chemical and Halon types are acceptable. Integral fire systems are also allowed in all groups.

IMG_3218.jpg

Thanks for the info, especially with the fire extinguisher. Got the helmet and all that taken care of from previous events, but haven't run an event with extinguisher required before.

So it sounds like the opinion is the borla type-s catback (includes x-pipe that replaces h-pipe, all stock headers and cats are in place) will fit under the noise limit? I called borla and they weren't much help in regard to having a db measurement for me.

Harald ,

Spectators are free unless you get there late and the ranger is in the entry shack - Laguna Seca is a county park and is subjective to a $6 or $8 entry charge but the club does not charge and all you will be asked to do is sign a wavier for release of liability. If you are wanting to get a ride from someone signed up for the event then you need to bring a helmet,long sleeve shirt ,long leg pants ( blue jeans ok ) close toe shoes and hope the driver has a spare set of gloves and you will need to sign an additional wavier to get a wristband to be a passenger. Also , according to Doug Conn (OTEC member) the fire extinguisher is now a "recommended item" NOT a "requirement".

Thanks, may try to stop by and say hi.

Took some DB Measurements today using a highly rated / accurateish to under 100db iPhone app and looks like no problems with a 92db limit so I registered. Looking forward to meeting some new friends and finally having a chance to run Laguna!

Took some DB Measurements today using a highly rated / accurateish to under 100db iPhone app and looks like no problems with a 92db limit so I registered. Looking forward to meeting some new friends and finally having a chance to run Laguna!

What position was your Db meter to the exhaust?

We used to get tested and it was something like 32" away at a 45* angle (or something like that). I remember they had their meter taped on a board that had the correct distance and angle for testing so it was quick/easy to measure it.

We NEVER passed but the promoter would just look away (that way they can say the DID test it).

Phill

What position was your Db meter to the exhaust?

We used to get tested and it was something like 32" away at a 45* angle (or something like that). I remember they had their meter taped on a board that had the correct distance and angle for testing so it was quick/easy to measure it.

We NEVER passed but the promoter would just look away (that way they can say the DID test it).

Phill

They never look away at Laguna Seca

My understanding was they were taking readings 50 ft off the track at Laguna, so we did some full throttle drive by's about 30 ft off the road, came in at 87-88 db

Will probably check-again before the date. Suggestions on methodology?

Archived