TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Super Snake GT500

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a 1967 GT500 427 Shelby "Super Snake". It was suppossed to be a limited run of 50. But only 1 was ever built because of the $7500 price tag. Of course it now resides in Jay Leno's "Super Garage"!!!!!!! So, using this name is presidented. I like it, BUT.............. can I afford it!!!!!!!

KingCobra.

post-1791-1177537676_thumb.jpg

post-1791-1177537676_thumb.jpg

To mod or not to mod, that is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler to in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of the righteous stocker,

Or to take mods in pursuit of raw potential,

And by opposing stockers, end them. To die, to drive--

No more; and by driveing to say we do not end

The heart-ache for the thousand natural mods

the Shelby is heir to....

Seriously, tho, there really isn't much of an analogy to the '60s because the only way you could get aftermarket parts that fit your car back then was from Ford or Shelby or from an up-level car. There were aftermarket parts but they we mostly limited to the engine and were mostly ordered to-order: cams, manifolds, etc. So if you had a R-code GT and wanted more ooomph, besides porting/polishing your own heads, rejetting, etc, you'd have to search out Ford parts from a 427/428 Ford/Shelby. Essentiall there was no aftermarket as we know it today.

I was lucky to stumble into a deal for all the '68 Shelby body parts (in the same color, no less!) for my vanilla '68 R-code (like a GT but factory optioned as a 390 R-code), but I never felt that I owned a Shelby because it wasn't -- it just looked like one. Did those mods enhance it's value? Undoubtedly! Did it make my R-code as valuable as a real Shelby? Absolutely not! Would it have, if I made all the other changes (engine, suspension, brakes, coolers, etc). Probably not, but it would be worth a lot more than just the body parts added. Did I care? Not a all.

I can appreciate those who don't want to mod their GT500 at all -- I actually considered NOT adding the Shelby pieces to mine because it added weight(!!!) and I LIKED the stealth look of a vanilla fastback with all the GT factory mods... it was well over a 1/4-ton lighter than the Shelby, got 20s mpg on cruise, was only a tad slower and no one looked twice at it (before the Shelby body mods!)... and I liked that.

Today, we have an embarassment of options: Will a real KR be worth more than a GT500 optioned up to a KR. Likely. Should that prevent anyone from doing that? I don't think so, ...but it should not matter what anyone else thinks. It only matters what the you think, unless you're a collector doing this solely as an investment, in which case you migh special order a KR in breast-cancer-awareness pink and put it in a hermetically sealed chamber <lol> along with all the goodies Shelby will be offering (in their original boxes, of course!!) ...now THAT will be valuable. If you're saying to yourself, yecccch! who cares about that -- I wanna drive my baby ...then do what floats your boat! All the cars that will be driven on some regular basis will be worth less than the museum pieces. Who cares?!

Now, among the driven Shelbys, will a dead-stocker be worth more than a modded ride? Here's where history doesn't help much, imo, and these are just my opinions, but might make for some good discussion. I think a tastefully modded Shelby with Shelby parts will be worth more than a dead-stock Shelby because the parts are authentic Shelby. Same for FRP/SVT logo'd parts, but maybe to a different degree -- dunno. What about one with a KB supercharger? Dunno. If there are a lot of KB modded Shelby's they'd likely be worth less than a Shelby with Shelby parts, but I don't think there would be big differences if the car is well maintained... besides, if your saving all your stock parts, it's easily reverseable.

But to do it just as an investment? Who cares?! Enoy the car! Maintain it! Keep a log of everything you do to it (often overlooked and greatly enhances value, all other things being equal -- just makes good sense too!). Save ALL the take offs. Actually, if it's an investment you want, buy 100 Shelby ECUs and door/trunk gaskets from Ford -- they might be worth a small fortune ...when your 6-feet under! (or maybe not!) ;-)

Modding tastefully and with quality parts (Shelby, FRP, good aftermarket ..in that order) will probably preserve value best -- if that matters to YOU but any well maintained GT500/KR/xx with it's lineage well-documented will hold it's value best relative to its peers, imo, regardless of any specific set of mods, imo

In the future, any non-damamged example that gets a 100-point restoration will be worth about the same for a given model. Whether it had 5K/30K/80K miles before someone spends $500,000 or more to remake it, will not matter one bit, imo.

:soapbox:

Ok, I'll shut up now. ;)

There was a 1967 GT500 427 Shelby "Super Snake". It was suppossed to be a limited run of 50. But only 1 was ever built because of the $7500 price tag. Of course it now resides in Jay Leno's "Super Garage"!!!!!!! So, using this name is presidented. I like it, BUT.............. can I afford it!!!!!!!

KingCobra.

That is such a beauty!!!!

---

When I ordered my '68 R-code, (it was originally ordered as a '67 before the long Ford strike) they added the side-oiler 427 to the option list for the vanilla mustang in '68!!! I was tempted, but at $1,600+ there was no way... I've never read anything difinitive on how many were actually made. I've heard only a handfull.

When I ordered my '68 R-code, (it was originally ordered as a '67 before the long Ford strike) they added the side-oiler 427 to the option list for the vanilla mustang in '68!!! I was tempted, but at $1,600+ there was no way... I've never read anything difinitive on how many were actually made. I've heard only a handfull.

Was a option, but none were actually installed/sold in Mustangs. This is per the official Ford records that Marti has. There are always a few urban myths that come out about how one or 2 were secretly installed, but there are no official records.

A few were put into Cougars - THAT is a special car for sure!!

Hi Amy,

I will be at SAI Friday the 4th. Will you have some info to see regarding the upcoming upgrades?.

Thanks,

Dan

I won't! :( I will be at the first company offsite with my team, planning wonderfull, cool stuff for you all :headspin: ...... But do ask for John Walker or steve or Bud...

Amy

Amy, do you know how many cars you can upgrade? The op says MT states the SAI upgraded car will be rarer that the KR, which has an estimated production of 1000.

the KR will be about 1000 cars, we haven't finalized all yet.....

On the SuperSnake we have the new mod shop just about finished. we will have a total of 8 lifts for mods.... I am ready! lol

Amy

I won't! :( I will be at the first company offsite with my team, planning wonderfull, cool stuff for you all :headspin: ...... But do ask for John Walker or steve or Bud...

Amy

That we will, but it's YOU we love!!! :wub:

KingCobra.

the KR will be about 1000 cars, we haven't finalized all yet.....

On the SuperSnake we have the new mod shop just about finished. we will have a total of 8 lifts for mods.... I am ready! lol

Amy

No wonder you didnt make it to Knotts Berry this weekend. I met Gary! Cool guy! Except, he teased me for not having a Shelby and being on stangsunleashed :finger:

Was a option, but none were actually installed/sold in Mustangs. This is per the official Ford records that Marti has. There are always a few urban myths that come out about how one or 2 were secretly installed, but there are no official records.

A few were put into Cougars - THAT is a special car for sure!!

A dealer in my area has his own car collection. One of the cars is an original blue 1968 Cougar with a 427 side-oiler. It is impressive!! He has lots of nice classic and modern cars, but that one is my favorite.

I see it hit the footlines like a lead balloon.

Maybe for you, Subvet. NOT FOR ME!!! :hyper: :hyper: I AM STOKED!!! :beerchug:

600HP and mods available right through SAI WITH LEGENDARY :drool::drool::drool: SUPERSNAKE BADGING?!?!? :headspin::drop:

Whaddyawant, a Space Shuttle engine attached?!?!? :hysterical2:

One question from me, Amy... :spiteful:

It can be done on a 'vert, riiight??????? :stirpot:

Maybe for you, Subvet. NOT FOR ME!!! :hyper: :hyper: I AM STOKED!!! :beerchug:

600HP and mods available right through SAI WITH LEGENDARY :drool::drool::drool: SUPERSNAKE BADGING?!?!? :headspin::drop:

Whaddyawant, a Space Shuttle engine attached?!?!? :hysterical2:

One question from me, Amy... :spiteful:

It can be done on a 'vert, riiight??????? :stirpot:

I could not agree more. SUPER SNAKE ME BABY :bowdown:

Thanks for the info timtnt.

In all honesty though I really hope there is another, bigger, better surprise coming. Otherwise all this hype was for nothing :do what:

Just to help you out ...hype is called marketing and SAI does a good job at it. Pick what you like and leave behind what you don't like...Why do you think Carroll brought Amy on board. She is a wonderful Marketing professional.

guys,

first off the KR is not just a hood and wheels, it has completely different suspension, cold air intake, calibration, carbon fiber parts, interior changes, badges, shifter, 373 rear , not gears, etc....

and there is another package.......

Amy

+1 amy...some people will misrepresent anything just to cast a bad light on it. Let's state the facts accurately folks.

Dave

Archived