TEAM SHELBY FORUM

leaded racing fuel

cobra2564

Leaded gas is bad for both the cats & the O2 sensors. I also doubt you would see any difference over say the 100 octane unleaded gas out there. Heck at 660hp you should be fine with 91-92-93 octane.

Steve

Amen. And if your cats go, you're talking emissions and all sorts of codes and costs to get back in compliance - all for 10 octane you probably wouldn't feel even IF you had an optimized tune.

Avoid.

Leaded gas is bad for both the cats & the O2 sensors.

From my GM Master Tech training: 3 to 5 gallons of leaded fuel will poison a O2 sensor. You have 4 of them in your exhaust.

CAT's aren't far behind. One tank and your CAT is toast.

That would be some REAL expensive leaded gas you ran, if you decide to run it.

Phill

I remember back when you could still buy leaded gas at the pump. For those cars that did try to use leaded fuel in their new catted car would always smell like rotten eggs. I don't know if the cats are made with the same material but that was one nasty smell as the cats burned themselves up.

Thanks for the great info. I have a hard time getting 93 octane here, so I was just looking for something to spike it with. I have a good supplier locally for racing fuel as we have a small dirt track here. 91 is kinda the best locally, at the gas station.

My tuner told me don't put " any " leaded race gas in the tank. I'm running a 93 octane custom tune. ( 93 octane gas is available in N.J. ) He recommends: ( all unleaded )

Sunoco 100 or 104.........................I found a station 13 miles from home that sells Sunoco 100 for $ 9.99 / gal.

VP 100 or 103

Thanks for the great info. I have a hard time getting 93 octane here, so I was just looking for something to spike it with. I have a good supplier locally for racing fuel as we have a small dirt track here. 91 is kinda the best locally, at the gas station.

You can get UNLEADED race gas, ya know.

Phill

If I recall there are companies where you can purchase 5 gallon containers of 100 octane that can be shipped by UPS. I want to say VP Racing Fuel may be one of those companies.

Just an idea if you can't find any 100 octane locally but want to add something to your tank on race days.

Steve

If I recall there are companies where you can purchase 5 gallon containers of 100 octane that can be shipped by UPS. I want to say VP Racing Fuel may be one of those companies.

I'm not positive but I don't think you can ship gasoline via UPS, USPS or Fed-Ex unless they have specially designated trucks (with signage) for flammable liquids.

I know they won't ship me Nitro fuel for my RC cars and toys (in one gallon metal containers). But I can't tell ya how my hobby store gets it so...Maybe if you're a commercial enterprise? Maybe to a business vs. a home?

All I know is they won't ship it to my house, I have to buy it at the hobby store.

Phill

Cobra2564, Are you worried about detonation? Leaded is such a different animal than unleaded. You would need to do a major retune for leaded. With the same tune that you have I would expect it to run very rich. Modern unleaded race fuels offer significant detonation protection. I recommend VP100. Great fuel to deal with your increased boost and the detonation that may occur. Personally I would have the car tuned well and make sure it does not have any lean areas and not worry about it unless you are racing it or really letting it have it on a regular basis.

Yes, I am worried about detonation. Ford dealer installed M-6066 MSVTA kit and I just had them use the Procal tune Ford says to use for their kit. Locally, all I can get is 91 or 92. I wanted something better to add when I know I will be stepping on it.

Amoco has a station here that gas 100 pctane at one pump. It's near,a drag strip. You might call local Amoco rep and see the nearest one

When we raced there was a gas station in Fremont CA that had Trick racing gas right out of the pump. They sponsored a friend of mine and he used to fill up his old pick-up truck/hauler with it.

It's probably still there.

Phill

Trick gasoline is another manufacturer that will ship its products in 5 gallon containers by UPS.

I used Trick *exclusively* when we raced. It's good stuff.

Phill

Archived