TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter storage

CSX4833

If you are lucky enough to not have to store your Shelby in the winter, this is one thread you needn't read. However, for us that are close to putting away our cars for the long winter, I have a question. My dealer says that the best way to prevent flat spots on the tires in the winter is to add another 10# of air to the tires. But, I heard that today's tires don't really get flat spots in six months and that its not necessary to add more pressure. Another question--is it best to just leave the car alone for the six months, or start it in the garage every month, let it get up to operating temp and then shut it off? This would require starting the car in 10 degree weather with the garage door open (burr....):( Any advice on these two questions would be greatly appreciated and I'm sad that I have to ask this.

Kevin

Stored cars for 25 years never ever had a flat spot on bias or radial tires. As for starting it every month is the worst thing you can do as you just add condensation to the oil & exhaust system.

If storing buy a battery tender ( if not remove it & keep it charged), fill the gas tank add some Sta-bul to the gas, change the oil, clean the inside & outside & cover your car. If the garage has a concrete floor, you could cover it with plywood or carpeting. It would also be nice if you could heat the garage I keep mine at 55 F.

I agree with shelby but I am also getting race ramps flat stoppers that go under the tires. One to help aid in no flat spots but also to have the tires not in direct contact of the cement. One other thing I like to do is put baggies of the tail pipes to help with moisture and no critters getting in them.

I agree with shelby but I am also getting race ramps flat stoppers that go under the tires. One to help aid in no flat spots but also to have the tires not in direct contact of the cement. One other thing I like to do is put baggies of the tail pipes to help with moisture and no critters getting in them.

Never thought of the baggies-have stored our car in a storage garage over the winter and have never had mice yet but don't want any either!!! Thanks. :idea:

You guys are great. I won't add the extra air which will be nice. I do have a battery maintainer, and use a fuel stabilizer. Also, the car sits on a Race Deck floor and is covered with the cover from SPP so I guess I'm doing the right stuff without even knowing it. The garage is heated but I have kept it at 45 more for my comfort in getting in my winter car. I think the wife would object to 55 for what she would term "It's just a car and look at how much more it'll cost". Maybe I can get 50. I'll try, if only the thermostat would read low. Maybe I can get a broken one that shows 10 degrees less than reality.

Never thought of the baggies-have stored our car in a storage garage over the winter and have never had mice yet but don't want any either!!! Thanks. :idea:

Same here, have never had a problem with mice and such but figured don't really cost anything and read it in a Hagerty mag so could not hurt.

If u are running ethonal if fill up with non ethonal also. It has a 6 month shelf life before it separates and gels. I always store my cars on jacks to prevent flat spots. My 93 got them bad

You guys are great. I won't add the extra air which will be nice. I do have a battery maintainer, and use a fuel stabilizer. Also, the car sits on a Race Deck floor and is covered with the cover from SPP so I guess I'm doing the right stuff without even knowing it. The garage is heated but I have kept it at 45 more for my comfort in getting in my winter car. I think the wife would object to 55 for what she would term "It's just a car and look at how much more it'll cost". Maybe I can get 50. I'll try, if only the thermostat would read low. Maybe I can get a broken one that shows 10 degrees less than reality.

What your doing sounds good to me, that has been all I have been doing to any of my toys I have had that do not see snow and have never had a problem other then me waiting till spring and the door to open hehe. I keep my garage at 45 deg or so also.

If u are running ethonal if fill up with non ethonal also. It has a 6 month shelf life before it separates and gels. I always store my cars on jacks to prevent flat spots. My 93 got them bad

My dad used to do the same thing for his Stude, but also read that the suspension was designed to have weight on it and was not good for any of the bushings and such. Wether or not any of this true, your guess is as good as mine.

Archived