TEAM SHELBY FORUM

qtp electric exhaust cutouts

tcaramucci

I am thinking of installing electric cut outs and wanted to know if anyone has and if so which ones would you recommend. I am looking at the qtp, thoughts?

The qtp needs to be welded in which is nice but I would have to have someone intall them vs. a bolt on unit which I can do on my own.

QTP's are good cutouts. I installed Race Ready's on mine because they had a lifetime warranty. Think a lot about placement unless you have a custom exhaust? and can put them pretty much anywhere. Think about possible clearance issues as well.

As for welding, that just depends on you. I "strapped" my y-pipes in and couldn't be happier. It helps to have the straps (or bands) holding them in too because you can get the fitment just right, and change it if you need to. Once you weld you're stuck with what you got. :shrug:

• 1 month later...

Reccomendation: Check your state's emissions laws.

Cutouts are a good way to get around that, actually. If you need to smog the Shelby, cap the cutouts or close them and you're back to stock. That is, if you're running cutouts on a stock setup. If you're running a custom setup then you'd be worrying about emissions anway...

Am I missing something regarding appropriate Arizona law?

A person shall not use a muffler cutout' date=' bypass or similar device on a motor vehicle on a highway.[/quote']

The above doesn't say possess or install. It says use and on a highway. I read that, as a reasonable person, to mean that bypassing the mufflers via a cutout to be illegal. I don't read it as having the device installed as illegal. Is there another legal section of Arizona law pertaining to this?

Am I missing something regarding appropriate Arizona law?

The above doesn't say possess or install. It says use and on a highway. I read that, as a reasonable person, to mean that bypassing the mufflers via a cutout to be illegal. I don't read it as having the device installed as illegal. Is there another legal section of Arizona law pertaining to this?

I was thinking more of the "A" rule. We also have yearly emmisions/eq inspections. Just something to check into further.

28-955. Mufflers; noise and air pollution prevention; emissions control devices; civil penalty; exception

A. A motor vehicle shall be equipped at all times with a muffler that is in good working order and that is in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

B. A person shall not use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device on a motor vehicle on a highway.

C. The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be equipped and adjusted to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

D. Beginning with motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines of the 1968 model year, motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines shall be equipped with emissions control devices that meet the standards established by the director of environmental quality.

E. A person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least one hundred dollars.

F. This section does not apply to an electrically powered motor vehicle.

Archived