TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Who had their Original Engine Blow-up????????? Who Did NOT???????

William Rodgers

I have noticed several folks on here have put in Aluminators, but most have not mentioned what happened to their original. Every one I have seen did NOT get done at an Authorized Mod shop or if they did they got a different tune after.

I am curious has anyone had issues (Detonating) with a Stock Shelby GT/SC from an Authorized Mod Shop?

Just to start mine is Stock Tune from Tasca and has been Outstanding!!!!!!!!

Mine blew up immediately after coming off the dyno after I installed a smaller pulley on my Paxton. Both front pistons and rods grenaded. Wholes through both sides of the block. Now that I've seen the size of the rods in these motors stock, I would never have tried to get any more out of the supercharger. Anybody pushing over 7-8 lbs of boost on a stock bottom end, I would say is living on borrowed time. I was only pushing just over 470 RWHP.

I'm running stock block and heads with 9-11 lbs of boost for 30k miles with zero issues. I run good gas and solid tune 11.8 -11.5 AFR. The car has been down the drag strip a bunch and has a lot of track time on it as well. When the car is on the track (road or drag) I run race gas or 91 octane with Torco fuel additive.

Blown engines? This is beginning to look like a Porsche forum. I know 2 people with newer water cooled Porsches that have had 2 engines blow, each. Yes, 2 different people and 2 blown engines.

My GT/SC did 493 RWHP on the dyno at TASCA. If I were to run it hard I would probably put forged internals in there, but I only get on it now and then. From what I have been told we should all know that 550 HP on a stock 4.6 is definitely the upper limit.

How hard do people run these engines that blow up?

I have just over 20K since having Alex Mackenzie supercharging my SGT. I have had no problems with the motor whether it be issues with the belt or other items. Do I beat the s :censored: t out of it? No, but I'm not afraid to drive it.

I've run it on the strip and the track too and just recently hit 170mph at the high speed run in Terlingua.

Will it blow up? Ya, probably eventually... Like Jeff said, the internals aren't the greatest and all of us with S/C's are on borrowed time.

Dan

SC'ed here at SA in Vegas last July, no issues. I don't BEAT on it either.

I have the C&R radiator and HE, big coolant tanks, and Metco pulleys, otherwise the standard 550 package.

Jer

2006 GT-H S/C done in Sept/October of 2009 by Shelby in Vegas :). Shelby branded Paxton (wanted to keep that herritage connection) with modest 425 hp at rear wheel. Remember H cars are autos. Dynoed at Shelby mod shop at the Bash in 2011. So maybe 460ish at the crank. No modifications to tune from Shelby. I did have them put GT 500 fuel pumps. I have had no issues. I do get on it once in a while but do not track the car. Car could benifit with a torque converter upgrade but most likley I will not modify.

I think Shelby knows the safety margin. Most blow-ups that I am familiar with is when the owner does additional mods taking it over the top.

I still have my original SC'ed engine done at Tasca years ago and still going strong. I would love more but Dennis at Tasca says I am at my limit with 489 at the tires. If it was not a Shelby I would have built the bottom end and fully utilized the full power of the Whipple. Dennis explained the do's and don'ts of the weak 4.6L and that's what I drive by. - Kevin

Shelby Las Vegas did my car. Every now and then I make sure all is working right but never dragged the car at the strip. I have spoiled the ego of a SS Camaro owner and afterwards the owner said " that thing is badass". The car is a monster and the items Roger had me install while at Shelby were few but an awesome car with no issues as of 10/2012. Dyno'd "per Roger and Shelby American" @ 516 RWHP but dialed down to approx 500 for delivery.

Had mine done at Tasca in November of 09. Other than throwing and tearing several belts before adding the Whipple ten-rib setup, no problems. I don't beat the car, I have been know to make some noise now and then, but I have never had it on a dragstrip or tracked it.

39k miles total, 18 or 19k miles with the whipple... 519 rwhp... Hard launches and 2nd/3rd gear pulls almost every time I drive it. Still stock block.

The whipple/frpp tune has an incredibly low rate of problems based on my Internet searches. Maybe someday ill throw some better rods and pistons inside and pump up the boost but really doubtful at this point. Disclaimer for the purists, mine is self installed.

Three things that will "blow" or shorten the life of your engine once supercharged:

running too lean of a mixture

too much boost

over revving the engine

Any of the three can turn your mill in to a paperweight. Staying within the parameters for boost, air/fuel ratio and rpm limits

should provide many years of spirited driving pleasure.

I just got my GT/SC upgrade at Tasca this summer and I only have about 350 miles on it since but i do drive mine hard and i've had no issues. My GT/SC upgrade was just part of my overall plan. I am getting the forged internals with many other upgrades next spring to put me in the mid 600's at the wheels. I've been working with Dennis for some time now on what exactly I'm gonna do and he's great to work with. He has been trained by Ford Racing Techs and knows his stuff.

I just got my GT/SC upgrade at Tasca this summer and I only have about 350 miles on it since but i do drive mine hard and i've had no issues. My GT/SC upgrade was just part of my overall plan. I am getting the forged internals with many other upgrades next spring to put me in the mid 600's at the wheels. I've been working with Dennis for some time now on what exactly I'm gonna do and he's great to work with. He has been trained by Ford Racing Techs and knows his stuff.

Interesting, I am curious what you are doing as far as adding Forged and getting 600's at the wheels, the Aluminators I know of are not getting that much at the wheels.

I agree Dennis is Outstanding and knows his stuff.

I have just over 20K since having Alex Mackenzie supercharging my SGT. I have had no problems with the motor whether it be issues with the belt or other items. Do I beat the s :censored: t out of it? No, but I'm not afraid to drive it.

I've run it on the strip and the track too and just recently hit 170mph at the high speed run in Terlingua.

Will it blow up? Ya, probably eventually... Like Jeff said, the internals aren't the greatest and all of us with S/C's are on borrowed time.

Dan

Well said Dan!! The rods and pistons are on borrowed time, but can go a long time, depends on how hard the car is driven.

Alex

My car was supercharged at Mackenzie Mustang also........2,3 Whipple with the Ford Racing tune.....

.it blew up a year later at Englishtown 100 ft from the traps...I ran 12.6 at 116 that day..............but admittedly was well on my way to an 11 second run had she not grenaded....

put a built aluminator in it from L&M Engines (Michael Rauscher) and dont worry about such things anymore..........forged internals.......700hp at the crank...........

car has been raced at the Nurburbring and LeMans this past Summer with the new engine and I could not be happier......

admittedly I drove the original motor hard.......but was told with the Ford Racing tune at 6-7 lbs of boost I would NOT have to worry...........didnt work out that way for me......

best anyone could figure out, the intercooler failed, I shit a piston at Romeo doing 150 on the 5 mile banked oval.....

the following month when I drag raced at Englishtown...

KABOOM!

No regrets........

PS....now, none of you (GT/SCs) can touch me........ :yahoo:

My car was supercharged at Mackenzie Mustang also........2,3 Whipple with the Ford Racing tune.....

.it blew up a year later at Englishtown 100 ft from the traps...I ran 12.6 at 116 that day..............but admittedly was well on my way to an 11 second run had she not grenaded....

put a built aluminator in it from L&M Engines (Michael Rauscher) and dont worry about such things anymore..........forged internals.......700hp at the crank...........

car has been raced at the Nurburbring and LeMans this past Summer with the new engine and I could not be happier......

admittedly I drove the original motor hard.......but was told with the Ford Racing tune at 6-7 lbs of boost I would NOT have to worry...........didnt work out that way for me......

No regrets........

PS....now, none of you (GT/SC) can touch me........ :yahoo:

SO, what all did you do to get the 700hp? and how is the transmission holding up?

make sure he hooks you up with some CNC heads. we hit 662rwhp on a FR Aluminator on 93pump. it takes more then just forged internals to get there

SO, what all did you do to get the 700hp? and how is the transmission holding up?

4.6 Aluminator, forged internals, steel crank, CNC heads, 62 lb injectors.....2.3 Whipple reinstalled.......built by L&M Engines, Hatboro, PA, tuned by Jon Lund.

the built sheet is 3 pages long!

the new engine is running at 80% of capacity to keep it safe from blowing up.......

whereas I was right on the edge of the abyss with the original motor after adding the blower........

the engine shop told me if I put a bigger blower on (2.9) it would bump the hp up considerably, but then put my tranny at risk.

currently the tranny is holding up fine........as is my original clutch and rear axel...

Ive driven the car over 5000 miles since the build, all out at the Nurburgring and LeMans tracks this summer....as well as extended speed runs on the autobahn.

make sure he hooks you up with some CNC heads. we hit 662rwhp on a FR Aluminator on 93pump. it takes more then just forged internals to get there

How much would it cost to do all of this to the stock block? Is it cost effective or is it just better to go Aluminator? Anyone know? I might think about it just so I do not worry.

I have been told the Aluminator route takes about $8-10K if you use your old blower.

4.6 Aluminator, forged internals, steel crank, CNC heads, 62 lb injectors.....2.3 Whipple reinstalled.......built by L&M Engines, Hatboro, PA, tuned by Jon Lund.

the built sheet is 3 pages long!

the new engine is running at 80% of capacity to keep it safe from blowing up.......

whereas I was right on the edge of the abyss with the original motor after adding the blower........

the engine shop told me if I put a bigger blower on (2.9) it would bump the hp up considerably, but then put my tranny at risk.

currently the tranny is holding up fine........as is my original clutch and rear axel...

Ive driven the car over 5000 miles since the build, all out at the Nurburgring and LeMans tracks this summer....as well as extended speed runs on the autobahn.

Don't forget that hood. I am sure it adds some fresh air :) Very nice Michael

@ 11,000 SAI installed whipple miles. Needed to replace the gasket between blower and engine. No other problems, except my clutch is definitely weak. Seat of the pant says I'm down 30-50 whp noted below when heavy into 3rd, then 4th gear. 1st and 2nd is fine. She was faster when fresh install. I drive it hard virtually every time out at @ 10+ lbs/boost.

A FR aluminator is in my future. I want 600+ at the wheels safely.

Archived