TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Uploaded New Steeda 93 Tune - Should Fan Run this much?

The weather today was awesome in Atlanta - Sunny and high of about 73. So, I drove the SGT out to the office today with two goals in mind...First, get the emmissions done at the Ford Dealership near me, then Second upload the new Steeda 93 Octane tune from teh SCT-X3 tuner I ordered from them with my tune.

So just before lunch, I went outside, opened the box, followed all the instructions and the tune loaded just fine. I drove the car around on a few stops -- Lunch, the bank, etc.then back to the office. Then, I headed home about 4:30. When I arrived and pulled in the garage, I noticed I could hear the fan running like it was about to start a hurricane or something under my hood....and it was not even hot outside.

I didn't think much about it until I went back out around 8:00pm (now fully dark outside and quite cool) and temp was probably about 60 at best. I picked up my daughter from soccer practice (just pulled up to the curb), and returned home. Again, I noticed as I pulled in the garage that the cooling fan was running like it was trying to whip up a hurricane or something....like I have never heard before from this car in 5 years.

I've heard it running strong on a really hot day, but this was like it was in another gear or something and really not that hot air temp wise.

Is there something with this new tune that they make the fan run more and/or something to do with the 93 versus the 91 octane tune? Should I be concerned about this at all? Will it cause too much premature wear on the fan?

I may call Steeda tomorrow and ask about it if I have time tomorrow. They have been really helpful up to this point so I'm sure they will help look into it or explain it to me, but I thought I'd start here with my SGT brothers to see what you folks think or know about this.

Thanks,

Andy.

I didn't either, and I've pulled into the garage after driving on city streets on a 90+ degree day to hear the cooling fan running as I would expect.

Yesterday, it was louder and sounded like a higher speed from the pitch coming from the motor.

Every time I pull into the garage, I do so with the Radio off and usually a window down....with 4 kids running around you never know when one will surprise you by opening the back door or jumping out from behind the other car in the garage! I have to use all my senses to make sure it is safe to pull in. Now all I need is to develop that 6th sense to tell me when to pull back out when my wife is not in a good mood....Oops, was that out loud??

Andy.

I'm going to call Steeda now and see what they say about it....

Of course, I'm talking about the higher fan speed - not about the "wife being in a bad mood" sensor device...

I'll post what I find out from them.

Andy.

I called Steeda, and they will check with the technicians who write the tune and let me know. Frank at Steeda said it could be that it is written into the tune to have the fan on for extra cooling...didn't know for sure.

Andy.

Hope they figure it out... I didn't notice a change when I added the whipple/tune, but can't say I payed any attention to it either.

The bad mood sensor mod would sell a shit ton of tunes though! They should work on that first!

I called Steeda, and they will check with the technicians who write the tune and let me know. Frank at Steeda said it could be that it is written into the tune to have the fan on for extra cooling...didn't know for sure.

Andy.

My Bama tune does the same thing. I think that you only here it more now beacuse its on for a few seconds after you shut off the car, where it wasn't before you changed the tune.

Personally I don't think it's a fan speed thing. You just notice it more because once the motor is off you're only hearing the fan.

Check this out...

http://www.steedafor...d-radiator-fan/

You Da MAN!!!! :rockon:

Thank you very much!! I had no idea there was a Steeda forum to look up these kinds of issues.

I did not get a chance to check back with the folks at Steeda today, but I may do so tomorrow just to see what kind of response I get...or I may just forward this link to the guy I was speaking with on Friday.

Anyway, thank you again for hooking me up with this info, and glad this is all normal for Steeda's tune.

Andy.

I haven't noticed any fan speed differences with my Bama Tune. I just recently loaded their new 93 octane "Hybrid" tune and I highly recommend it. It combines the low end grunt of their performance tune with the high end power of their race tune. Makes nice power all through the rev range.

I haven't noticed any fan speed differences with my Bama Tune. I just recently loaded their new 93 octane "Hybrid" tune and I highly recommend it. It combines the low end grunt of their performance tune with the high end power of their race tune. Makes nice power all through the rev range.

Where can I get this Hybrid tune?

I think mine feels like it may have lost a little on the bottom end...I was expecting a little more kick to the upgraded Steeda Elbow and Steeda 93 tune.

Previously with the original Shelby tune (91 octane) I could chirp the tires easily in 2nd, but now it doesn't chirp at all...makes me wonder if the power was better from the Shelby tune.

When you uploaded the Bama 93 Hybrid tune, what differences did you notice?

Thanks,

Andy.

I bought the Steeda elbow to get a better looking piece than the OEM elbow and hoped for some performance gains as well. I couldn't really tell any difference, so I decided to order the SCT-X3 from Steeda and the 93 octane tune figuring that Steeda would know best how to get the most out of their own CAI intake and elbow combination. I loaded that up a couple of weeks ago, and I have driven the car several times since then with the temps in the mid 50s to upper 60s/70 degrees.

I have noticed a slight bit of stronger pull in the upper RPM range, but I would say just barely noticable. I have noticed that when run up to 5k RPM and shift to 2nd, it won't even chirp the tires and I could easily do this with the original Shelby 91 tune. I have tried this with both the TC on and TC off.

I was hoping for a more night and day difference to where I could really say wow!, that was a great purchase for my car, but I really have not noticed anything substantial.

Am I expecting too much improvement over the Shelby tune, or should I really see and feel something more with a tune and Elbow upgrade? :shrug:

Is there any additional room for improvement on my Steeda 93 octane tune from Steeda?

Any Thoughts??

Andy.

Hey Andy,

Here is the website for Bama Tunes. http://bama.americanmuscle.com/

I was running their 93 octane Race tune before I put the Steeda elbow on. It ran pretty strong, but seemed a little "dead" in the lower RPM ranges. For example, I could only break the tires loose when taking off in first and then just barely chirp in second, all with the traction control off.

About the same time that I got the elbow, I found a link on another Mustang forum about this new "Hybrid" tune. It was promoted to combine the low end power of their "Performance" tune with the high end power of their "race" tune. I contacted Bama for this new hybrid tune because I have tunes for life.

I didn't notice alot of change when I put the Steeda elbow on except that it seemed to run a bit smoother. Could this have been an effect of me running a race tune with the "stock" Ford Racing intake? Not sure.

I then got the hybrid tune downloaded and things changed dramatically. Now the tires will break loose anywhere in first gear...rolling...full stop...doesn't matter. The car totally looses traction when I hit second gear. For the first time I'm beginning to think I need more tire. This is all with the traction control turned on. The car now feels..."mad"...if you know what I mean.

All very subjective feelings of course, but I feel like Bama got it right with this tune.

-Gregg

Hey Andy,

Here is the website for Bama Tunes. http://bama.americanmuscle.com/

I was running their 93 octane Race tune before I put the Steeda elbow on. It ran pretty strong, but seemed a little "dead" in the lower RPM ranges. For example, I could only break the tires loose when taking off in first and then just barely chirp in second, all with the traction control off.

About the same time that I got the elbow, I found a link on another Mustang forum about this new "Hybrid" tune. It was promoted to combine the low end power of their "Performance" tune with the high end power of their "race" tune. I contacted Bama for this new hybrid tune because I have tunes for life.

I didn't notice alot of change when I put the Steeda elbow on except that it seemed to run a bit smoother. Could this have been an effect of me running a race tune with the "stock" Ford Racing intake? Not sure.

I then got the hybrid tune downloaded and things changed dramatically. Now the tires will break loose anywhere in first gear...rolling...full stop...doesn't matter. The car totally looses traction when I hit second gear. For the first time I'm beginning to think I need more tire. This is all with the traction control turned on. The car now feels..."mad"...if you know what I mean.

All very subjective feelings of course, but I feel like Bama got it right with this tune.

-Gregg

Thanks Gregg!!

Now that is more in line with what I was expecting. I posted this same comment on the Steeda forum, and I'll see what comment they produce, but I think I'll definitely be contacting Bama, even if I have to pay for the tune...sounds like it is well worth it!!

Thanks for your very detailed description of how and what changed.

Andy.

Andy it was like night and day in my 08 SGT with the brenspeed tune. At first I was believing that we had this special shelby tune that I should be protecting when I went to the dealer for service to avoid erasing the SAI tune. Which I did. But after driving my friends 06 mustang GT with a box tune from bama, I was pissed, happy, disapointed, grateful all at once. He kept telling me to get a tune...and I kept telling him I have one already from vegas that came with the car. So it wasn't until I drove his car that I realized we had been soft tuned by SAI. I paid alot of money for my car brand new and expected to get my moneys worth. This forum is a great tool that can help you make decisions for which you may be on the fence about. Granted I wasn't a fan of box tunes because I felt the best tune would be a dyno tune because it was hands on. But after pricing a dyno tune which doesn't include any mods afterwards I figured box was the way for me to go. I chose brenspeed because of all the positive feedback it gets on here. And If I were to supercharge, they would also be my choice for this mod. I like to be appreciated as a consumer. Trying to stay all shelby is very tuff, Good luck.

P.S. Even though I overpaid for my vert..I am still in love with her and with the right tune, you will feel the same to.

Hey Guys.

I know we are off the orginal topic (and I got the answer to the fan running issue), and I have some additional comments and questions....I will start a new thread about this "soft tune" issue that I'm trying to improve on so that other folks may offer their take on a few questions I have.

I'll post the link to the new thread in another post after this one, so please jump in...

Thanks,

Andy.

Archived