TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Transmission fluid

I've tried an advance search here to no avail, but I know there has to have been discussion regarding what transmission fluids are the best to use in our cars. Everybody seems to have an opinion but most agree that Amsoil or Royal Purple are very good. My dealer is of the feeling that unless I'm having a problem, there is no reason to change out the original fluid Ford has in the car. Well, sometimes the "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" mentality applies, but what if something else works better? Do I just buy the fluid and tell the dealer to install it anyway? What do I have to be concerned with regarding which type to use? Lastly, will changing to another brand void the warranty? I'm not sure I have a warranty on my '12 SS since I opted for the 800HP upgrade anyway. Any thoughts folks on what I should do? Thanks a bunch.

Grabber, thanks a lot for the advice and pics/directions. I plan to do this soon. One question, not having a hoist (per the directions) will I be able to access the drain and fill plugs if just using Race Ramps? Thanks again.

Grabber, thanks a lot for the advice and pics/directions. I plan to do this soon. One question, not having a hoist (per the directions) will I be able to access the drain and fill plugs if just using Race Ramps? Thanks again.

Yes. You will need a pump to put the fluid in.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing better for ALL Tremec Ford applications....the Royal Purple Syncromax is the BEST. I have had customers with notchy or grinding Shelby/Cobra/Mustang manual transmission for many years that thought they need a trans rebuild. In most instances, the RP solved the issues. It really is great stuff. I have quite a few road race cars too that I have put the RP in that used to toast transmissions 1-3 times per year due to heat, that can last over 3 years (some more) with no trans cooler, and they hold up...very little money, very WELL spent...

Alex

Considering you have a 2012 vehicle I feel your mechanic is giving you sound advise. Having said that, when I changed my 2007 clutch and associated parts to the upgraded 2010+ parts I also changed to the Royal Purple tranny fluid. Is it a better product than the factory stuff for a daily driver?????

I have that and a case of HPS waiting on me in my garage when I get back to the states. Can't wait to make the swap. Thanks Vapor for the info.

My pleasure TexasShelby, you will not regret it. I have used the Amsoil MTL too in these 6060 transmissions and am also a dealer for them, but I prefer the RP. Never had a complaint on the RP, or even heard of one to be honest. I have no dog in any fight, unless I do a build for someone, I don't usually even bother with parts, fluids, etc. I'm just trying to give a heads up on what works very well in the 6060 trans, hands down....

Thanks for all the great advise everyone. I'll be swaping out with RP before the next trip.

Hi Dan,

For which car. I am sure I put it in "Marji's" 40th already when we did the clutch, but don't remember on the SS.

Alex

Hi Dan,

For which car. I am sure I put it in "Marji's" 40th already when we did the clutch, but don't remember on the SS.

Alex

Morning Alex,

I ordered 12 qrts to cover everything. I'll check the 40th before draining.

Archived