TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fastest 1/4 Mile List GT500 and GT500KR

dgussin1

They prepped it 2 times for us today but it cost each time. The club paid for it but many of the guys really running fast cars said it wasn't that good. I wouldn't know as it was my first time ever on a track. I had a great time. Ran a lot and the car seemed to have no issues....but on street tires it just spun if you for on it hard early. I didn't think it was a bad set up at all - not new by any means but I would go back.

Where is Byron?

Byron, Illinois. Great Lakes in Kenosha, WI is also better than 41.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moderator - can this threat be it's own topic or a sticky in the 2007 section? It would be good as it's own place from the main menu so we could have thread like this on times, one to talk about tracks etc. Especially with the 2008's and other models coming out soon would be fun to have where everyone can see it easily.

Thanks

First time at the track today (Friday, 4 May 07) at Southwestern Intl Raceway (SIR), Tucson AZ.

Made 4 passes during the Open Test & Tune in my completely stock GT500.

1st pass: I AM AN IDIOT!!! Tried to launch in 3rd gear.... not sure how that happened!!!! :hysterical2:

2nd pass: 2.481 13.944 @ 105.44 No Mods 4 May 07 6:15 pm - SIR, TUCSON AZ

3rd pass: 2.377 14.031 @ 103.40 No Mods 4 May 07 6:41 pm - SIR, TUCSON AZ

4th pass: 2.305 13.816 @ 104.45 No Mods 4 May 07 7:13 pm - SIR, TUCSON AZ

Observations:

Novice driver, TCS ON, 1/2 tank fuel load, 30 psi in rear tires, and LOTS of wheel hop in 1st & 2nd gear.

Track elevation at 3075' above sea level, temp at about 80F.

60' times improved each pass, but need more GRIP to sneak up on 12 secs....

Did see one other GT500 (alloy) at the track.

Keith

P5042911.JPG

P5042852.JPG

P5042875.JPG

P5042876.JPG

P5042858.JPG

P5042911.JPG

P5042852.JPG

P5042875.JPG

P5042876.JPG

P5042858.JPG

First time at the track today (Friday, 4 May 07) at Southwestern Intl Raceway (SIR), Tucson AZ.

Made 4 passes during the Open Test & Tune in my completely stock GT500.

1st pass: I AM AN IDIOT!!! Tried to launch in 3rd gear.... not sure how that happened!!!! :hysterical2:

2nd pass: 2.481 13.944 @ 105.44 No Mods 4 May 07 6:15 pm - SIR, TUCSON AZ

3rd pass: 2.377 14.031 @ 103.40 No Mods 4 May 07 6:41 pm - SIR, TUCSON AZ

4th pass: 2.305 13.816 @ 104.45 No Mods 4 May 07 7:13 pm - SIR, TUCSON AZ

Observations:

Novice driver, TCS ON, 1/2 tank fuel load, 30 psi in rear tires, and LOTS of wheel hop in 1st & 2nd gear.

Track elevation at 3075' above sea level, temp at about 80F.

60' times improved each pass, but need more GRIP to sneak up on 12 secs....

Did see one other GT500 (alloy) at the track.

Keith

You can do better....keep working on the launch technique. By the way, that alloy car looks really fast. :hysterical2:

stpracer43,

The most important thing is to have FUN! My first 3 trips to the strip haven't fared much better (13.51 @ 110.23)

You might try dropping rear tire pressures to 18-20psi. If you're not going to change the OE uca then the launch is all about "sneaking up" on traction just like you said. For your first ever attempt a 2.3sec 60' is pretty darn good in my book. But with that 60' time and some aggressive quick shifts you should be able to trap at at least 113mph and just break into the 12's. How many miles are on your car? It will tend to make a bit more HP after a few thousand miles are on her.

post-4709-1178372970_thumb.jpgpost-4709-1178372970_thumb.jpgpost-4709-1178372970_thumb.jpg

Please add your info into the thread in the format that I have set up and I (or a mod/admin) will update it asap. Please include the date, track location, time, modification's code and if possible a scan of the timeslip. Thanks

9 Second Club

Evolution ------------------1.505 9.962 @ 141.45 CFUXSEHMGKRPN 11/18/06 - Cecil County Dragway

10 Second Club

11 Second Club

Jerrytubbs1---------------1.617 11.027 @ 128.990 CFUXSEHMGK 4/13/07 Mt Park Dragway

MD03SVT-----------------1.566 11.259 @ 125.637 CXEKGV

dgussin1------------------1.629 11.410 @ 125.71 CFUXEMSGK 11/18/06 Great Lakes Dragway

11ride4life----------------1.702 11.562 @ 120 Cuxfem California Speedway

MrFarmdog ---------------1.934 11.742 @ 122.98 KVZC Gateway International, St Louis 4/20/07

FearsNo1------------------1.85 11.83 @ 123.32 CFDE 2/14/07 NO PROBLEM RACEWAY (old car)

Tahoe GT------------------1.976 11.948 @ 119.79 CFUDSEM 04/04/07 Infineon Raceway

12 Second Club

Brands5.0 ----------------1.992 12.024 @ 119.82 CFUEM Moroso, West palm beach 4/21/07

iceman--------------------2.133 12.109 @ 122.27 CFUSEHGKV US41 Dragway 4/28/07

Blayne9067---------------2.124 12.360 @ 119.67 CFUDSMGK Gateway International 4/20/07

MDS370-------------------2.042 12.51 @ 113.86 D

Fred13---------------------2.182 12.659 @ 115.71 CFS San Antonio Raceway Marion, Tx 4/25/07

Fastbackman-------------1.815 12.721 @ 106.27 D 11/18/06 Tulsa, OK

13 Second Club

Alloy Dave ---------------2.331 13.194 @ 110.05 S Gateway International, St. Louis 4/20/07

Modification List

C=Tune

F=Filter

L=Lower Pulley

U=Upper Pulley

T=Throttle Body

D=Drag Radials

X=Slicks

S=Suspension

E=Catback or X-Pipe

H=Headers

I=Ignition Upgrade

M=MAF

G=Gears

K=Driveshaft

R=Weight Reduction

A=Automatic Transmission

V=Convertible

N=Nitrous

P=Ported Eaton

Z=Aftermarket Blower

Please add your info into the thread in the format that I have set up and I (or a mod/admin) will update it asap. Please include the date, track location, time, modification's code and if possible a scan of the timeslip. Thanks

**Credit for the format goes to High Roller. Thanks bud.

New to this I went 13.19 @ 107mph stock and after c,f,u went 12.32 @116mph

post-4709-1178372970_thumb.jpg

By the way, that alloy car looks really fast. :hysterical2:

Dave - the "Gentleman" driving the "looks really fast" Alloy at the track was much more "senior" than I, and he drove his car conservatively. Always in the 14 sec bracket. As "they" say, Looks can be deceiving...

Had a great time chatting with him though. He had his center dash console Autographed by CS. And he had modded his exhaust by taking out the mufflers and going with just pipe & exhaust tips. Sounded Great!

Keith

stpracer43,

The most important thing is to have FUN! My first 3 trips to the strip haven't fared much better (13.51 @ 110.23)

You might try dropping rear tire pressures to 18-20psi. If you're not going to change the OE uca then the launch is all about "sneaking up" on traction just like you said. For your first ever attempt a 2.3sec 60' is pretty darn good in my book. But with that 60' time and some aggressive quick shifts you should be able to trap at at least 113mph and just break into the 12's. How many miles are on your car? It will tend to make a bit more HP after a few thousand miles are on her.

SPRINT - Oh I certainly did have FUN! Would have stayed all night and ran much more, but had other plans...

I have 3500 miles on the car so far. Been driving it almost every day, since I'll be storing it next month for 2 years while in Korea.

Any chance of damaging the tire with that low (18-20 psi) of pressure?

What effect do you think the track elev (3075') is having? (Would taking the filter out for each run help it breathe better?) Want to use a K&N, but they haven't made a replacement for the OE filter...

Any suggestions for launch? I was on TCS and 3000-3500 rpm for launch and then "matted it" when car moved...

You mentioned "quick shifts"... as fast as possible or "early" shifts prior to shift point or red line? What shift point are you using?

Thanks for the help! Good luck on the track!

Keith

SPRINT - Oh I certainly did have FUN! Would have stayed all night and ran much more, but had other plans...

I have 3500 miles on the car so far. Been driving it almost every day, since I'll be storing it next month for 2 years while in Korea.

What effect do you think the track elev (3075') is having? (Would taking the filter out for each run help it breathe better?) Want to use a K&N, but they haven't made a replacement for the OE filter...

Any suggestions for launch? I was on TCS and 3000-3500 rpm for launch and then "matted it" when car moved...

You mentioned "quick shifts"... as fast as possible or "early" shifts prior to shift point or red line? What shift point are you using?

Keith

Hi stp... the elevation can make a big diff... I'm away from home for two weeks so don't have access to elevation calculator links, but you're probably loosing 1.5-2# boost at 3K feet. Another SU member, Bonedoc, in Denver at 5K+ feet was seeing only about 9# total, so check your boost guage at WOT to see. Good news is that it an equal handicap to everyone and whether NA or S/C.

Just a thought.... but with TC on I thought there is programming in the GT500 ECU for a special 'launch control' mode but only if you dump it from about 3200rpm (dead stock, no tune). Possibly the partial throttle launch with TC on is giving you TC assistance, but not getting you to the 'lauch control' logic -- dunno. May be info in the GT500 owners manual supplement?? ..maybe other 'stockers' have more insight on that (might be affected if 'tuned').

Have you considered swapping the UCA/LCAs? ...will make a huge diff in wheel-hop.

Dan

Hi stp... the elevation can make a big diff... I'm away from home for two weeks so don't have access to elevation calculator links, but you're probably loosing 1.5-2# boost at 3K feet. Another SU member, Bonedoc, in Denver at 5K+ feet was seeing only about 9# total, so check your boost guage at WOT to see. Good news is that it an equal handicap to everyone and whether NA or S/C.

Just a thought.... but with TC on I thought there is programming in the GT500 ECU for a special 'launch control' mode but only if you dump it from about 3200rpm (dead stock, no tune). Possibly the partial throttle launch with TC on is giving you TC assistance, but not getting you to the 'lauch control' logic -- dunno. May be info in the GT500 owners manual supplement?? ..maybe other 'stockers' have more insight on that (might be affected if 'tuned').

Have you considered swapping the UCA/LCAs? ...will make a huge diff in wheel-hop.

Dan

I don'tbuy into the special launch control stuff for only stock tunes etc. It may work out that it seems that way but I had the chance to make so many runs the other week end I ran some with it on and some with it off. Initially I had better times with it on....I was slipping all over with it off on the stock tires. As I practices my times dropped both with it on and with it off. In the end the top time I has in the 12.1 range was with it off. The top time with it on was in the 12.4 range but I did have my 2 best 60' times (1.96 & 1.98) with it on.

I think what happens as you mod and gain power the power is able to push through the TCS a little more. I actually broke the tires loose in 3rd on a couple of trips with the TCS on resulting in pretty bad times and a very interesting ride. I probably would say for me on stock tires the TCS helps a little on launch but slows me a little on the rest of the track. My trap speeds were better with out it for sure....assuming I didn't miss ageaqr or spin too much.

I really thing that the TCS just handles stock power better than all of the upgraded stuff. It don't feel like there is a special set up we lose for launching or anything else with the tune....but that's just me. I had to skip the track day friday due to everyone in my house having strep throat but I'll get there again soon. I got the brake locks and will install them as soon as I get the tires figured out. I know I don't want a taller tire....I am debating on if I want slicks just for the strip or some type of tire I can drive over on and run and drive home on......and I'm toying with the idea of just doing Nitto's all the way around for daily driving. I think unless I do slicks I'll stick with stock rims for now due to the cost to change them.

Keith

just order 4 new tires when you come home, the stockers will by dry rot and flat spotted by then. Do not store the car on jack stands. Leave it on all 4 wheels with a fully loaded suspension.

any brand tire that sits for 2 years is going to have these issues.

I disagree. I worked in the tire industry for 8 years and had many customers who stored their cars for long periods without such issues. My 1969 Camaro has sat this long with no issues also. The tires I have RIGHT NOW on my '69 Camaro were installed in 1984, and they are not dry rotted or flat-spotted. I do agree that it's PREFERRED to move the tires around once in awhile...but don't think it will automatically ruin them.

Dave

Yes, the car will be "stored" for 2 years... but I plan to have it driven at least once a month to exercise all the mechanical parts/lubricants/etc.

Don't expect flat spot & dry rot to be an issue.

Keith

Yes, the car will be "stored" for 2 years... but I plan to have it driven at least once a month to exercise all the mechanical parts/lubricants/etc.

Don't expect flat spot & dry rot to be an issue.

Keith

Keith, if you leave your car in a "stored status" with your insurance company you would probably save at least $3200.oo. It won't hurt the car at all to sit in a dry place for a couple or three years. A new set of tires and less miles is far more attractive, I wouldn't care if it was my Mother driving it. Schitt happens, let it sit, disconnect battery and it will be fine. When you come back, pull the plugs and squirt a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder and with the plugs removed turn the motor over by hand a few times, reinstall plugs, air up tires, fire it up and let it warm up real good before changing oil. Then go get your new tires. This is what I would do. I'm sure you trust this person where your leaving your car.

Keith, if you leave your car in a "stored status" with your insurance company you would probably save at least $3200.oo. It won't hurt the car at all to sit in a dry place for a couple or three years. A new set of tires and less miles is far more attractive, I wouldn't care if it was my Mother driving it. Schitt happens, let it sit, disconnect battery and it will be fine. When you come back, pull the plugs and squirt a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder and with the plugs removed turn the motor over by hand a few times, reinstall plugs, air up tires, fire it up and let it warm up real good before changing oil. Then go get your new tires. This is what I would do. I'm sure you trust this person where your leaving your car.

Blayne -

Thanks for the input. Believe it or not, there is not a "purpose built" auto storage facility in AZ! Plenty of U-store it / Self Storage places... but too uncontrolled for my peace of mind. Besides, I have ugly visions of pack rats infesting my car and eating up the leather and wiring...

I trust the friend I'm leaving it with. He's restoring a '65 fastback and besides he's in the Air Force too... so I know where he works and who he works for!!

Insurance isn't an issue for me either way (only $800 per year right now anyway).

Thought about offering my car to SAI as a "test platform" for the next 2 years... think they'd go for it?

Got a plan, so I'm gonna stick with it.

Keith

MrFarmdog ---------------1.927 11.718 @ 122.33 KVZC Memphis Motorsports Park, Memphis TN 5/10/07

Tonight was a good night for me. Back to back runs for about an hour really helped me work on my launches. I squeaked out a new best time in the GT500. 11.718 ET @122.33MPH. The best part about it was I that I was running against a red vette with the ZO6 badging and spanked his ass! I must have beat him by 7 car lengths He ran a 13.3 @110 so I know it wasn't a real ZO6 but if it was I think I could have taken him.

FYI - I made 5 back to back runs with almost no cooldown. My best time was the last run. I started out launching easy. Then dropped tire pressure to 15#. Then focused on better burnouts, harder launches and shifting at 6K. With each run I was able to launch harder with less spin. Tire prep is a major component. I am ordering a line lock. Next time I go to the track I want these Nittos dripping off the rim before I run. I feel like I really got some good experience tonight.

:shift: Had another go at the track last night. Made 4 passes with varying results...

1. 2.326 13.983 @ 102.84 STOCK Southwestern Intl Raceway, Tucson AZ 5/12/07 10:43 pm

2. 2.075 13.607 @ 103.38 STOCK Southwestern Intl Raceway, Tucson AZ 5/12/07 11:17 pm

3. 2.319 14.384 @ 103.88 STOCK Southwestern Intl Raceway, Tucson AZ 5/12/07 12:01 am

4. 2.344 13.708 @ 105.81 STOCK Southwestern Intl Raceway, Tucson AZ 5/12/07 12:50 am

Passes 2,3, 4 were against an 04 Cobra. I only took 2 out of 3... was sleeping at the light on pass#3 and missed 3rd gear as well. :censored:

Best pass was 2nd. Must learn to consistently repeat that 2.07 60' time!!! Want some more MPHs but the altitude and heat here in Tucson is killer. Last night the Density Altitude was almost 5000'....

Ran with TCS on except for pass#4 and tire pressures at 25 psi.

Good news is 2 of the 4 passes beat my best time from last trip out -- still a novice but gettin better!

Man I'm gonna miss driving this car for 2 years :cry:

Keith

P5132957.JPG

P5132957.JPG

MrFarmdog ---------------1.898 11.444 @ 124.88 KVZCFTMD Memphis Motorsports Park, Memphis TN 5/19/07

This was best of three runs. The other two were 11.445 and 11.863. I am making some progress now!

I also got a warning that if I didn't slow down they would kick me off the track.

MrFarmdog ---------------1.898 11.444 @ 124.88 KVZCFTMD Memphis Motorsports Park, Memphis TN 5/19/07

This was best of three runs. The other two were 11.445 and 11.863. I am making some progress now!

I also got a warning that if I didn't slow down they would kick me off the track.

Looking good, how does it feel?

Looking good, how does it feel?

Like I am strapped to the front of a freight train! One race was this hopped up chevy nova, lookin like it should run 9s. He got the jump on me but I passed him mid track and had him by 4 lengths. What a great feeling to run people down. It will be even better when I can leave them at the starting line! Rear suspension kit ordered.

Archived