TEAM SHELBY FORUM

carbon fiber SS hood.

svt13

Now you have my attention. I have a few questions. Does this hood provide enough extra clearance to be able to install a Kenne Belle 3.6L or Whipple 4.0L supercharger? I notice that you aren't using any type of hood lock/pins, does the hood have any shake present that the stock hood didn't have? If so could you tell us at what speeds? Also can you give us an idea of how fast you've run the car up to since this installation, you don't have to be specific.Did you have any problems with installing the hood concerning fitment? Since it isn't painted I would think it fits very well out of the box, but I can't tell if you've done modifications to the hinges or latch to install it. Can you tell us what you had to do to install it?

The other question I had is this truly 100% carbon fiber?

Thanks, Mr. Haney

Can't speak for the whipple, but I asked kenne bell and was told that even with a SS hood I would still need lower motor mounts. You need 3/4", if I remember right.....the hood will give you 1/2" and the motor mounts will give the other 1/2" so you'll have a 1/4" to spare.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with the installing motor mounts that lower the engine. Why? You are changing the angle of the engine in relationship to the driveshaft and rear end pinion angle. Unless you also install a new transmission mount or transmission crossmember to drop the complete package a 1/2". Otherwise I think you're inviting harmonics to play havoc on driveline parts over a long period of time and miles.

I don't agree with the installing motor mounts that lower the engine. Why? You are changing the angle of the engine in relationship to the driveshaft and rear end pinion angle. Unless you also install a new transmission mount or transmission crossmember to drop the complete package a 1/2". Otherwise I think you're inviting harmonics to play havoc on driveline parts over a long period of time and miles.

That very well may be, I never considered that. The KB 3.6 needs 3/4" to fit, that is straight from KB. They made no mention of it being an issue and I've never heard and SS owners complain. Like I said, I never even considered that.

Unfortunately nobody is driving these cars a lot after the mods are done. It would be interesting to hear from VanRacing with their 200 mph standing mile cars as to what they're doing with engine lowering mods. At 200 mph and the related driveshaft speeds that it brings, I would think driveshaft vibrations would show up quickly in these cars if there was a problem with angles. But then he maybe lowering the complete package and not said anything, because nobody has asked before..

To clear up the confusion with trufiber/trucarbon. People here it is. Their products are made in Vietnam and do not undergo quality inspections. They are very cheaply made. These hoods 99% of the time require lots of modifications to make them fit. Thats how it is with all fiberglass hoods. And again trucarbon/trufiber DOES NOT MAKE 100% CARBON FIBER PARTS. Hence why on the description it says CARBON FIBER INFUSED. They are fiberglass. I once asked them to custom make me carbon fiber rockers in 100% carbon in their US facility they said it would cost 4k. So to do a whole hood? I'm sure would cost more than the 1800 they charge.

Also their clearcoat is CRAP. They told me themselves after 3 years depending on where you live since some places it will happen sooner than others the part if left unpainted will begin to yellow. They use a very cheap clear coat.

I wrecked my KR in the summer of 08. I demanded that my insurance pay for genuine Shelby parts. We had to send the wrecked hood back to Shelby, and the cost of the new hood was supposed to be $18000! My insurance company balked, but eventually ended up paying Shelby around 12k for the hood if I remember correctly.

If I remember correctly, the total cost to Shelby from Plasan Industries for all the CF parts on each KR vehicle including the hood was $3800.00 per car.

Plasan had a law suit for non-payment of the majority of KR parts and that number was released.

And yes, at the time, Shelby was charging $18K for the hood alone.

If I remember correctly, the total cost to Shelby from Plasan Industries for all the CF parts on each KR vehicle including the hood was $3800.00 per car.

Plasan had a law suit for non-payment of the majority of KR parts and that number was released.

And yes, at the time, Shelby was charging $18K for the hood alone.

That sounds about right to me. But in their defense they had to prep and paint the hood. :speedie:

Now you have my attention. I have a few questions. Does this hood provide enough extra clearance to be able to install a Kenne Belle 3.6L or Whipple 4.0L supercharger? I notice that you aren't using any type of hood lock/pins, does the hood have any shake present that the stock hood didn't have? If so could you tell us at what speeds? Also can you give us an idea of how fast you've run the car up to since this installation, you don't have to be specific.Did you have any problems with installing the hood concerning fitment? Since it isn't painted I would think it fits very well out of the box, but I can't tell if you've done modifications to the hinges or latch to install it. Can you tell us what you had to do to install it?

The other question I had is this truly 100% carbon fiber?

Thanks, Mr. Haney

I did not have to modify anything to make the hood fit. I did have to adjust the hinges to get the correct height and centering on the hood. As for hood pins they do recommend them but there is a steel plate inside that lets the stock hood latch mount to it. As for speed ive hit over 130 and its still hanging in there. TRUCarbon does make a fiberglass version of this hood but this one is pure Carbon Fiber top and bottom. I did not have to cut the vents out they came already installed and look great (poweder coating them flat black soon). As for the questions about the Kenne Bell SC's i do not know. I currently run a VMP TVS so its not an issue. However, the underside of the hood has a much larger cavity and it also sits about 1 inch higher in the rear. I would specualte that it could accomedate a KB Blower, and if not there would only need to be minor lowering of the engine to make it clear. Also, i have not noticed any shaking from the hood at highway speeds. I does sometimes flex/shake a little on rough pavement but thats all.

I did not have to modify anything to make the hood fit. I did have to adjust the hinges to get the correct height and centering on the hood. As for hood pins they do recommend them but there is a steel plate inside that lets the stock hood latch mount to it. As for speed ive hit over 130 and its still hanging in there. TRUCarbon does make a fiberglass version of this hood but this one is pure Carbon Fiber top and bottom. I did not have to cut the vents out they came already installed and look great (poweder coating them flat black soon). As for the questions about the Kenne Bell SC's i do not know. I currently run a VMP TVS so its not an issue. However, the underside of the hood has a much larger cavity and it also sits about 1 inch higher in the rear. I would specualte that it could accomedate a KB Blower, and if not there would only need to be minor lowering of the engine to make it clear. Also, i have not noticed any shaking from the hood at highway speeds. I does sometimes flex/shake a little on rough pavement but thats all.

Oh my god lol how many times do I have to see it to you till you get it. YOUR HOOD IS FIBERGLASS WRAPPED WITH CARBON FIBER ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM OF IT lol. What kind of pure carbon fiber hood weighs 30 pounds and sells for 1800??

Our Production Department does this regularly, and has been doing it for many years with no ill effects. The change in angle is far too minor to have an impact.

I checked with them before offering the Deep Draw hood program again, since that can require lowering mounts in some cases. I had wondered the same thing, they set me straight.

Jer

Mods:

35% window tint, rear view camera, JLT oil separator, Red line hood struts, Front splitter curb alert system. Super snake carbon fiber splitter. Mustang RTR-C carbon fiber rockers and side skirt splitters, APR Performance carbon fiber mirror assembly, FRPP springs, steeda LCA and Roush UCA, JLT CF resonator delete w/blue airaid Filter, Steeda LCA relocation bracket, Shelby Watts link, Super snake Alcoas w/ Michelin Super sport tires

I've noticed you have added some mods to your list. You have Super Snake Alcoas w/ Michelin Super Sports on your car already?

Jer

I've noticed you have added some mods to your list. You have Super Snake Alcoas w/ Michelin Super Sports on your car already?

Jer

No I just decided to move that stuff there since I have everything on order. Except the watts link and caster/camber plates from you Jer but those will be ordering soon. I can move them back to the future stuff if it bothers you lol.

I probably should relabel my sections as "mods that are on the car or going on the car" and "mods I haven't decided if I want them or not yet"

EDIT: There I changed it around again. This should be better :)

No I just decided to move that stuff there since I have everything on order. Except the watts link and caster/camber plates from you Jer but those will be ordering soon. I can move them back to the future stuff if it bothers you lol.

I probably should relabel my sections as "mods that are on the car or going on the car" and "mods I haven't decided if I want them or not yet"

EDIT: There I changed it around again. This should be better :)

Doesn't bother me. Just asking.

Jer

Oh my god lol how many times do I have to see it to you till you get it. YOUR HOOD IS FIBERGLASS WRAPPED WITH CARBON FIBER ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM OF IT lol. What kind of pure carbon fiber hood weighs 30 pounds and sells for 1800??

Hey i get it, i didnt see your post when i initially responded because i was trying to respond in the order others posted. Calm down and stop acting like a Nerd raging with your caplocks. The point is, i dont really care if it weighs 30 pounds, i bought it for the look not the weight. If you need to have pure carbon fiber and want to pay out the *** to get it then more power to you. As for fitment, i didnt have have to modify it to get it to work. I adjusted the bumpers and it worked fine. I came here and offered info about a product I purchased and havent had any issues with. Its up to those interested to make their own choice. If the clear coat fades i dont really care either, i didnt expect it to last forever. Thats why there are bodyshops all over the country.

Hey i get it, i didnt see your post when i initially responded because i was trying to respond in the order others posted. Calm down and stop acting like a Nerd raging with your caplocks. The point is, i dont really care if it weighs 30 pounds, i bought it for the look not the weight. If you need to have pure carbon fiber and want to pay out the *** to get it then more power to you. As for fitment, i didnt have have to modify it to get it to work. I adjusted the bumpers and it worked fine. I came here and offered info about a product I purchased and havent had any issues with. Its up to those interested to make their own choice. If the clear coat fades i dont really care either, i didnt expect it to last forever. Thats why there are bodyshops all over the country.

Lol relax I was just pointing it out because if I ever say anything remotely wrong 10 people bash on me for spreading misinformation.

It's a good time to remind everyone that basic "Netiquette" applies here. I try to let the situations settle themselves whenever possible, as they usually do, but sometimes a person or group gets out of hand and starts stepping on people all over the place. I always say "If you want to see people arguing like little kids, go to any other Mustang site".

Team Shelby is better than that. I'd like everyone to take a deep breath, and let's raise the level of discussion to the higher level it deserves.

Jer

It's a good time to remind everyone that basic "Netiquette" applies here. I try to let the situations settle themselves whenever possible, as they usually do, but sometimes a person or group gets out of hand and starts stepping on people all over the place. I always say "If you want to see people arguing like little kids, go to any other Mustang site".

Team Shelby is better than that. I'd like everyone to take a deep breath, and let's raise the level of discussion to the higher level it deserves.

Jer

You are right Jer sorry.

Hello all, First post for me... I usually hang out over at the GT500 and SVTP Forums but found this site and thought i should check it out.

Not sure if you actually want a KR hood or just one with a similar style. I purchased the A53KR Hood from TruCarbon and it looks great. It is functional and the carbon work looks amazingly done.

Here are a few pics of it in its un painted form.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

This hood is fully Carbon Fiber and weighs about the same as the standard aluminum hood. The cost is right around $1800.

Be careful what you say about your Trucarbon hood. svt13 will get upset :hide:

Sorry I just don't like vietnam sloppy made crap. Especially when its fiberglass and not real carbon fiber that has disorted weaves and improper resin levels. You take a SS carbon fiber splitter and take the trufiber splitter and the differences become VERY apparent. Go take a look at the mustang RTR-C. Go look at that hood and compare it to trufiber's garbage. Or go look at any OEM carbon fiber hood and compare it to that.

There is a very DISTINCT difference in the look and quality of the carbon fiber. Maybe the judges aren't as anal as me? Maybe they didn't really care that much about the hood? I don't know whats going on through their heads but I had a trufiber rocker panel and I had a SS rocker panel and soon I'm going to have a RTR-C rocker panel. There are very obvious differences.

Well, I know that Firepro is not going to beat his own drum, so I am going to for him. Right now his car is almost sure to win any modified class late model Mustang/Shelby car show he enters. And the ironic part is that his hood is the attention grabber, and a feature of the car. The only reason I chimed in was I thought it was funny to blast the quality of his hood when it looks so good.

I do love the idea of trying to buy products made in the U.S.A. Very glad to see that movement becoming stronger. And yes I will always try to keep Shelby parts on my Shelby. So far so good.

And I was just being sarcastic about the new Boss 302 owners not knowing anything about "peoples choice" Mustang judging. I can't let them off the hook that easy for trading their Shelbys..

Archived