TEAM SHELBY FORUM

carbon fiber SS hood.

svt13

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? lol wow. But wasn't the KR around 60k? The regular gt500 at the time was around 40 wasn't it?

No, most GT500 owners paid $50K+, after options and some dealer shenanigans here and there.

The GT500KR was VERY expensive at the time, lots of people paid 6 figures.

Jer

100k for the KR? What was the actual MSRP?

I believe it was $79,995.

Jer

Well someone said the hood was 10k I was seeing if that is justified given the MSRP of the KR. Given how the KR is cheaper than an SS I don't think the hood was actually 10k. Unless since ford had a lot to do with it that it was insanely marked up just for the name. In which case the hood could be 10k.

Idk I think a new SS hood thats actually lighter than the stock alumnium would be a nice upgrade a lot of people would pay for. But there would need to be an opening for airflow because as it sits that section is a huge parachute on the current SS hood. I know the KR hood was cf and functional hence why I suggested it.

Is there a way we get someone to actually weigh a stock 2010+ GT500 hood and weigh the SS hood so we can finally see how they compare? And yes the KR hoods were right around 10k. And by the way, the 2010 SS hood does not need functional ram air because the 2010+ GT500's have ram air right from the grille. Having it from two places could result in too much ram air and cause driveability problems.

Is there a way we get someone to actually weigh a stock 2010+ GT500 hood and weigh the SS hood so we can finally see how they compare? And yes the KR hoods were right around 10k.

Phil where are you??? lol He wanted to tell you himself his experience with both hoods in his hands at the same time. How do people know if the KR hoods were 10k. Could you guys buy them?

I don't know the specifics but he held both and could immediately feel the difference according to my understanding. He said the SS hood weighed noticeably a lot more. I'm sure he will chime in.

Its interesting the KR hood was 10k while aftermarket ones are around 2k only.

You do have another option. Tru Fiber sells a C.F hood that is close to a KR/Super Snake hood for much less than 10k. Looks great right out of the box from the factory.Unless you own a KR with a damaged hood, your not going to get a origional KR hood. Not trying to say Shelby should not make a CF hood for Shelby owners, just saying there are companys out there where you can get them today.

You do have another option. Tru Fiber sells a C.F hood that is close to a KR/Super Snake hood for much less than 10k. Looks great right out of the box from the factory.Unless you own a KR with a damaged hood, your not going to get a origional KR hood. Not trying to say Shelby should not make a CF hood for Shelby owners, just saying there are companys out there where you can get them today.

If you mention trufiber again and their garbage products I'm going to throw up on you.

If you mention trufiber again and their garbage products I'm going to throw up on you.

Thats funny. I was just in a car show with Firepro and he got "best engine" and "best of show" with that garbage hood.

Maybe the judges didn't know any better ?

And half the people voting were new Boss 302 owners, what do they know?

just sayin

Thats funny. I was just in a car show with Firepro and he got "best engine" and "best of show" with that garbage hood.

Maybe the judges didn't know any better ?

And half the people voting were new Boss 302 owners, what do they know?

just sayin

Sorry I just don't like vietnam sloppy made crap. Especially when its fiberglass and not real carbon fiber that has disorted weaves and improper resin levels. You take a SS carbon fiber splitter and take the trufiber splitter and the differences become VERY apparent. Go take a look at the mustang RTR-C. Go look at that hood and compare it to trufiber's garbage. Or go look at any OEM carbon fiber hood and compare it to that.

There is a very DISTINCT difference in the look and quality of the carbon fiber. Maybe the judges aren't as anal as me? Maybe they didn't really care that much about the hood? I don't know whats going on through their heads but I had a trufiber rocker panel and I had a SS rocker panel and soon I'm going to have a RTR-C rocker panel. There are very obvious differences.

Given how the KR is cheaper than an SS I don't think the hood was actually 10k.

This is my personal opinion on the difference between the cost of a used KR and SS.

At the time these cars were made I am sure most thought that eventually there would be a lot more SS’s made compared to the KR’s. The 1,500 or so KR’s that were made are the only ones that will ever be created. That’s possibly why some paid 6 figures for it.

Theoretically if there were 15,000 GT500’s made between 2007 and 2009 there could eventually be 15,000 SS’s. Now I know that’s never going to happen but according to the Shelby American website you could still have a 07-09 GT500 converted into an SS. I could be wrong but I remember hearing that they were going to the keep the number of SS's made at 1,000 per year.

About the time the KR’s were made the economy went to crap. Since the KR’s were a pre-titled conversion the initial cost of the conversion was paid for by either Ford or Shelby.

The SS on the other hand is a post-titled conversion and due to the economy there were less people willing to pay the $30,000 or so it cost to get the conversion.

Which leads me to believe there are less SS’s out there which makes them harder to find and therefore the price remains high. In the long run though I believe the KR will eventually be the more collectable car.

Again just my bias opinion… :D

I wrecked my KR in the summer of 08. I demanded that my insurance pay for genuine Shelby parts. We had to send the wrecked hood back to Shelby, and the cost of the new hood was supposed to be $18000! My insurance company balked, but eventually ended up paying Shelby around 12k for the hood if I remember correctly.

This is my personal opinion on the difference between the cost of a used KR and SS.

At the time these cars were made I am sure most thought that eventually there would be a lot more SS’s made compared to the KR’s. The 1,500 or so KR’s that were made are the only ones that will ever be created. That’s possibly why some paid 6 figures for it.

Theoretically if there were 15,000 GT500’s made between 2007 and 2009 there could eventually be 15,000 SS’s. Now I know that’s never going to happen but according to the Shelby American website you could still have a 07-09 GT500 converted into an SS. I could be wrong but I remember hearing that they were going to the keep the number of SS's made at 1,000 per year.

About the time the KR’s were made the economy went to crap. Since the KR’s were a pre-titled conversion the initial cost of the conversion was paid for by either Ford or Shelby.

The SS on the other hand is a post-titled conversion and due to the economy there were less people willing to pay the $30,000 or so it cost to get the conversion.

Which leads me to believe there are less SS’s out there which makes them harder to find and therefore the price remains high. In the long run though I believe the KR will eventually be the more collectable car.

Again just my bias opinion… :D

Well I just thought so at first because a lot of what shelby does is marked up like hell so you are paying half for the performance the other half for the name. But that doesn't seem to be the case with the KR. This is probably because this was an actual joint adventure with Ford so Ford didn't want that kind of a negative image associated with them. So when you pay 80k for the KR you are indeed getting your moneys worth.

I found an article on the KR saying how even the heat extractors had some special system to route rain water somewhere to not interfer with anything eletrical under the hood (something shelby has ignored doing on their super snake hoods). So the KR really was OEM quality stuff hence the price tag of 80k. Though now I don't understand why the splitter was 3300.

Did Phill weigh the 2010+ GT500 stock hood and the 2010+ SS hood?

I compared them by hand, not with a scale.

Blackout brought his 2012 Super Snake by my house and I was able to compare his to my 2010 GT500 aluminum hood. The Super Snake hood was CONSIDERABLY heavier. I mentioned the weight to Blackout and he confirmed that the Super Snake hoods are much heavier than the stock hoods.

Also, ask anyone who owns a Super Snake what hood shocks they have found that work on their SS hoods. The GT500 hood shocks won't work because they either don't lift the hood and/or they won't hold the hood up once you lift it up because of the increased weight.

You have to order heavier hood shocks for the SS hoods vs. the stock hood. If I remember correctly, 90 lb. shocks vs 70 pound shocks (those numbers might not be 100% accurate). I think it was Robert M. who worked with (again, I THINK) Champion Mustang to get the right weight shocks for his SS hood. And then I don't think the shocks will *lift* the hood like on a stock hood, only hold it up once you lift it.

I too was very surprised that a Fiberglass hood weighed so much. Like I said, *considerably* heavier. Noticeably heavier.

I'm sure someone from Shelby could give you exact numbers (weights) but I also notice that Shelby is conspicuously absent from this thread (although I have not read the entire thread yet!).

HTH,

Phill

Its interesting the KR hood was 10k while aftermarket ones are around 2k only.

Look at a genuine KR hood and then look at just about any AM hood.

The KR hood is a work of art. Crash tested and wind tunnel tested (by Ford) too.

Oh, and a functional scoop too, if I remember right...

Phill

yeah, the KR has a few unique OEM-like parts i would like to buy, such as a special rubber piece that fits on the Ford Racing cold-air intake to isolate the filter from the hood (not available with the same Ford Racing cold-air kit you can buy). also, the axle-reservoir catch-can for lubricant overflow.

Here is my hood.

IMAG0152.jpg

I have Red Line struts they look good and work great. I took the sticker off and don't know for sure but I believe they are the 90 lbs.

IMAG0686.jpg

No carbon fiber weave on the bottom? What a shame to use that and not show it off.

Sorry I offended you but if I wasn't 100% happy with it I wouldn't recommend it (JMO) and it is carbon fiber not fiber glass. I also own a 08 KR and from what I can tell you can't see any carbon fiber it's all painted so who know's what the weave looks like. Guess I should go take another look to be sure?

Sorry I offended you but if I wasn't 100% happy with it I wouldn't recommend it (JMO) and it is carbon fiber not fiber glass. I also own a 08 KR and from what I can tell you can't see any carbon fiber it's all painted so who know's what the weave looks like. Guess I should go take another look to be sure?

You didn't offend me and yes ur hood is fiberglass wrapped in carbon fiber. Trufiber makes nothing 100% carbon fiber they do everything as cheaply as possible. That's ok if your satisfied but people who are more picky wont be. Especially when they are paying 2k

Archived