TEAM SHELBY FORUM

carbon fiber SS hood.

svt13

No carbon fiber weave on the bottom? What a shame to use that and not show it off.

That's the difference between a poorly made cheap carbon fiber hood and a well made expensive carbon fiber hood.

Carbon fiber is lighter and stronger (pound for pound) than fiberglass so it is those two parameters that make the difference, not the LOOK (i.e. carbon fiber weave).

In other words, Ford didn't insist on a CF hood for the CF appearance (look) of it but rather for the strength and lightness it affords.

EDIT: Oh, and I *have* seen a Plasan KR carbon fiber hood for sale on e-bay that was 'raw', in the black carbon fiber (and showing the weave) that had apparently slipped out the back door of Plasan so if someone really wanted the 'carbon fiber weave look', all they would have to do is strip the paint off of a KR hood.

Phill

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the difference between a poorly made cheap carbon fiber hood and a well made expensive carbon fiber hood.

Carbon fiber is lighter and stronger (pound for pound) than fiberglass so it is those two parameters that make the difference, not the LOOK (i.e. carbon fiber weave).

In other words, Ford didn't insist on a CF hood for the CF appearance (look) of it but rather for the strength and lightness it affords.

EDIT: Oh, and I *have* seen a Plasan KR carbon fiber hood for sale on e-bay that was 'raw', in the black carbon fiber (and showing the weave) that had apparently slipped out the back door of Plasan so if someone really wanted the 'carbon fiber weave look', all they would have to do is strip the paint off of a KR hood.

Phill

I agree with everything you said but the bolded. Phill the viper and zr1 and every lambo or anything super car when you open the hood the inside carbon fiber weave is exposed. People think it looks pretty. But I have noticed Ford doesn't care about looks. Hence why their driveshaft on the 13 is a very raw carbon fiber. It's not a weave at all it looks more like a green sheet or something like that.

I agree with everything you said but the bolded. Phill the viper and zr1 and every lambo or anything super car when you open the hood the inside carbon fiber weave is exposed.

Do they cost $11,000.oo???

Phill

Hey Jer have you ever considered looking into a company called Autosport Dynamics? They make zonda quality carbon fiber parts. They made the mustang rtr-c that was full carbon fiber for Vaughn Gitten.

Maybe you should check them out to make a carbon fiber SS hood. You guys could use that instead of fiber glass ones that weigh more. This could be a hood that is actually lighter and stronger than OEM and make it a true upgrade. I bet everyone would buy these if you made it happen. It's probably something that would sell as hot as the alcoas do given how much money you guys are letting trufiber,BMC and every other company make knocking off the super snake hoods.

I'm sure someone from Shelby could give you exact numbers (weights) but I also notice that Shelby is conspicuously absent from this thread (although I have not read the entire thread yet!).

HTH,

Phill

I'm Post #4 and #6. I got out of here when the tone started getting dark.

:shrug:

Jer

I'm Post #4 and #6. I got out of here when the tone started getting dark.

:shrug:

Jer

Well Jer I apologize for the dark tone but would you be interested in doing something like this or are you satified with the heavy fiberglass hood? I know autosport dynamics would be interested because I have already talked to them myself about them making a one off for me, but it would be too much for me that it doesn't justify it if its just one. But if you make many then yea.

SVT13, since no one has officially weighed the two and you are just going by hearsay from phills experience, I'll tell you when I compared hoods, the Super Snake hood did not feel heavier then the stock aluminum hood. Even if it is heavier, it can't be that much heavier. Plus, are you racing the car? That would be the main reason why you would be so worried about a little weight. Otherwise, more than likely your not going to feel any difference in weight. Even if you do, why don't you just get the k-member which states it removes almost 25 pounds from the front I believe. So the question would be, are you looking to get a hood for appearance or for weight savings?

If Shelby was to make a CF Super Snake hood, I guarantee it would be priced pretty darn high. They would not be priced around the price of trufiber's hoods.

SVT13, since no one has officially weighed the two and you are just going by hearsay from phills experience, I'll tell you when I compared hoods, the Super Snake hood did not feel heavier then the stock aluminum hood. Even if it is heavier, it can't be that much heavier. Plus, are you racing the car? That would be the main reason why you would be so worried about a little weight. Otherwise, more than likely your not going to feel any difference in weight. Even if you do, why don't you just get the k-member which states it removes almost 25 pounds from the front I believe. So the question would be, are you looking to get a hood for appearance or for weight savings?

If Shelby was to make a CF Super Snake hood, I guarantee it would be priced pretty darn high. They would not be priced around the price of trufiber's hoods.

Well look at it like this. For hood struts the stock pressure is 75 pounds. For SS hoods or aftermarket you need 90 pound ones. So the SS hood is probably around then 15 pounds heavier than the stock hood. I am going to race my car once or twice a year. Also the only thing I don't like about the current SS hood besides the weight is the parachute up front. I wish it had holes to make it functional because all that air is doing is getting stuck there and creating drag. I would get the BMR K member but apparently that adds noises and vibrations all around the car. But I love the look of the SS hood its the best hood by far for this car.

Given all the weight reduction I am doing to this car I don't want to then add weight to the front further messing up the weight bias. Because a lot of weight reduction stuff I am doing takes weight off the rear. Not much I can do up front without adding NVH. I been looking into replacing some stuff with titanium or alloys something light but pretty much the entire engine is alumnium. Trying to make the car handle more precisely kinda like a Boss does. I was planning to replace my fenders with carbon fiber but that only saves like 10 maybe 20 pounds? The doors would be the best but any aftermarket carbon fiber door requires a roll cage or you'll die if you get in an accident.

Even if shelby priced it at 4k it would be worth it I think. Autosport dynamics for the mustang GT hood they made for the RTR-C told me I could get it from them for like 3k. And their stuff is ZONDA quality carbon fiber. So really the only expensive part would be the production for them to make it. But at 3k who wouldn't pay for a fully carbon fiber SS hood made by shelby? People are running around paying 2200-2500 for aftermarket shit ones.

Been reading this thread and thinking...$3000 for a CF hood may seem like a good price till you factor in prepping and painting the hood too!! Then you close to maybe $5000 or a little less?? Not sure how many guys want to drive around with CF looking hood. Not me. Anyway - thats my $ .02

Been reading this thread and thinking...$3000 for a CF hood may seem like a good price till you factor in prepping and painting the hood too!! Then you close to maybe $5000 or a little less?? Not sure how many guys want to drive around with CF looking hood. Not me. Anyway - thats my $ .02

Omg who charged you 2k for paint and prep? You better go sue them for theft lol.

If $2000 in prep & paint scares you, you DEFINITELY shouldn't even think of this.

$2K is peanuts at a truly world-class facility.

Jer

If $2000 in prep & paint scares you, you DEFINITELY shouldn't even think of this.

$2K is peanuts at a truly world-class facility.

Jer

I could get the WHOLE CAR painted for 4k lol. So far with the fiber glass hoods and any aftermarket carbon fiber ones I have yet to hear of anyone paying close to 2k in prep and paint. The max I heard someone pay was 1k.

Maybe if I took my hood to a lambo dealer I would get charged that much. But there is certainly no where in my area that they would charge that much.

I could get the WHOLE CAR painted for 4k lol. So far with the fiber glass hoods and any aftermarket carbon fiber ones I have yet to hear of anyone paying close to 2k in prep and paint. The max I heard someone pay was 1k.

Maybe if I took my hood to a lambo dealer I would get charged that much. But there is certainly no where in my area that they would charge that much.

You need to reconsider where you live. :hysterical:

Jer

You need to reconsider where you live. :hysterical:

Jer

Probably...... I gotta move out near Vegas so I can just take my car to you guys and have you all do everything. You would think there would be exotic car dealerships in DC given how its the politician capital and lots of money around here but I know of zerooooo. I just know of one lambo/ferrari dealership but I doubt they would do this kind of stuff.

I always noticed and wondered why some exotic dealerships are in the middle of no where like eliteautos in arkansas.

Omg who charged you 2k for paint and prep? You better go sue them for theft lol.

No one charged me $2K. You missed the point. Let me explain: The CF hood is going to cost MORE than just $3000 - regardless of what city you live in.

And if you think you can get a whole car painted for $4000 you better stop shopping at Earl Shibe.

Quality work is not cheap I don't care where you live.

Maybe. Idk thats what my ford dealer charged me when I asked them about painting. Maybe they were giving me a discount. Plus on an older car like 3 years ago had repainted it was 4500. Looked just like factory.

So unless I was asking them to do some crazy ass color like gotta have it green where its 4 different paints I don't see it costing more. At least from my experiences. Now if you are going to say that paint isn't as good as OEM quality well we'll never know since we'd have to both cars for 20 years to compare since that is how long OEM paint should last.

Maybe. Idk thats what my ford dealer charged me when I asked them about painting. Maybe they were giving me a discount. Plus on an older car like 3 years ago had repainted it was 4500. Looked just like factory.

So unless I was asking them to do some crazy ass color like gotta have it green where its 4 different paints I don't see it costing more. At least from my experiences. Now if you are going to say that paint isn't as good as OEM quality well we'll never know since we'd have to both cars for 20 years to compare since that is how long OEM paint should last.

No we wouldn't. You're talking about stuff you have no idea about. If you want a paint job to just cover the bare metal and "look" factory, you'll get what you pay for. If you want a quality paint job then you'll have to pay for it.

I'm having a custom motorcycle painted. Cost is $5000. Granted it will be a show quality job but the point is if you want quality you have to pay for it. Not just assume your guy knows what he's doing and can do it cheaper. Color has little to do with the price. It's in the prep work that goes under the paint.

It may look good from afar, but it will be far from good.

No we wouldn't. You're talking about stuff you have no idea about. If you want a paint job to just cover the bare metal and "look" factory, you'll get what you pay for. If you want a quality paint job then you'll have to pay for it.

I'm having a custom motorcycle painted. Cost is $5000. Granted it will be a show quality job but the point is if you want quality you have to pay for it. Not just assume your guy knows what he's doing and can do it cheaper. Color has little to do with the price. It's in the prep work that goes under the paint.

It may look good from afar, but it will be far from good.

Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree. Definitely it wasn't show car paint but people have different definitions of quality. Pointless debate here so we can just stop.

I'm having a custom motorcycle painted. Cost is $5000.

Now THAT pisses me off.

And $5K isn't out of the ordinary.

I always thought it was a RIP to have two fenders and two tanks painted for as much as you can get a car painted for.

Which is why only one of my bikes has a paint job on it (and yes, it was $5K!).

Phill

Now THAT pisses me off.

And $5K isn't out of the ordinary.

I always thought it was a RIP to have two fenders and two tanks painted for as much as you can get a car painted for.

Which is why only one of my bikes has a paint job on it (and yes, it was $5K!).

Phill

Well, it's a rear fender, whole frame, gas tank, oil tank and a pile of misc parts. Lots of flake and some gold leaf as well. Honestly, most of the cost is in the prep. All the welds on the frame have to be smoothed out with body filler and that takes time and patience. Actual paint is the cheap part.

But, yes, it does seem outta line ;)

Well, it's a rear fender, whole frame, gas tank, oil tank and a pile of misc parts. Lots of flake and some gold leaf as well. Honestly, most of the cost is in the prep. All the welds on the frame have to be smoothed out with body filler and that takes time and patience. Actual paint is the cheap part.

But, yes, it does seem outta line ;)

Mine was for a set of new 5.0 gallon TANKS. And JUST the tanks, no fenders.

The painter matched the factory Aqua & Cream (Turquoise & White according to H-D) fenders and put a "Toothpaste" style "Harley-Davidson" script on the sides (1957 stile two-tone) and matched the double gold/red factory pinstripes.

I bought a new fender from Harley with factory (PERFECTLY matching) paint for $375. That was including the freakin' FENDER.

The original owner who I bought the bike from was the fool that paid $5K for the paint job but I know the painter (a local "hot shot") so I know what it cost. It's a real nice job but $5K worth of nice????????

Phill

Hello all, First post for me... I usually hang out over at the GT500 and SVTP Forums but found this site and thought i should check it out.

Not sure if you actually want a KR hood or just one with a similar style. I purchased the A53KR Hood from TruCarbon and it looks great. It is functional and the carbon work looks amazingly done.

Here are a few pics of it in its un painted form.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

This hood is fully Carbon Fiber and weighs about the same as the standard aluminum hood. The cost is right around $1800.

Did you cuts the vents out of the middle part? Plus anything by trufiber is fiberglass wraped in carbon fiber.

Plus I'm still wondering with all this SS style hoods what happens when water gets into the heat extractor area? Does it pour onto the battery?

The website says 30 pounds what does the stock hood weigh anyone?

Hello all, First post for me... I usually hang out over at the GT500 and SVTP Forums but found this site and thought i should check it out.

Not sure if you actually want a KR hood or just one with a similar style. I purchased the A53KR Hood from TruCarbon and it looks great. It is functional and the carbon work looks amazingly done.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

This hood is fully Carbon Fiber and weighs about the same as the standard aluminum hood. The cost is right around $1800.

Now you have my attention. I have a few questions. Does this hood provide enough extra clearance to be able to install a Kenne Belle 3.6L or Whipple 4.0L supercharger? I notice that you aren't using any type of hood lock/pins, does the hood have any shake present that the stock hood didn't have? If so could you tell us at what speeds? Also can you give us an idea of how fast you've run the car up to since this installation, you don't have to be specific.Did you have any problems with installing the hood concerning fitment? Since it isn't painted I would think it fits very well out of the box, but I can't tell if you've done modifications to the hinges or latch to install it. Can you tell us what you had to do to install it?

The other question I had is this truly 100% carbon fiber?

Thanks, Mr. Haney

IMG_0601.jpg

That hood looks VERY nice, on the picture.

I would paint the hood flat grilles mat black though.

Did you have to make some adjustments to it or was it a true bolt-on?

Buy the CF trunk now :burnout:

Archived