TEAM SHELBY FORUM

About to Take the Plunge

ageishecker

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not trying to stir the pot but, I definitely agree with your concern about the paint match in these photos. The quarters look a bit lighter than the doors. I'm guessing they weren't blended and only panel painted. I would look at it both indoors and outdoors when you pick it up. (Hopefully it's just a bad picture.) Those pearlescent / flopping color paints can be a real bear to match. Good luck!

If I am not mistaken that paint has flake in it. Depending on the angle the flake will reflect a little more of the camera flash. You can see the top of the fender in the first picture matches perfectly while the lower fender and that body line in the door matchs perfectly. It's all in the angles. But I am also looking at on my phone. :)

I wouldn't be concerned.

My comment about the paint match wasn't meant to question whether or not I have a problem. It was meant more as an explanation so others wouldn't be asking questions or pointing out that the paint doesn't appear to match. I trust that everyone at SAI is being truthful and it looks good in person I hope I haven't offended anyone there by my ambiguous comment. I've seen the green GT350 in person and it looks perfect, so I know they can do it. I don't know how the GT350 looks in untouched photos. I've also seen photos of one other green GTS that appears to have a similar color mismatch between the fender and hood/front fascia but the owner says it is perfect in person. So I'm not going to fret over this. I will look closely when I take delivery and if we have an issue I'll deal with it then. Right now I'm excited and counting the days until my May 2 museum delivery.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We took delivery on Thursday and drove it for a couple of days before returning it to SAI for shipping. The car is great - everything we dreamed it to be. We just got home from Las Vegas last night. I'll post some pictures when I get caught up.

• 10 months later...

I just got my 07 40th Anniversary (Grabber Orange) back from SA. They did the full wide-body modifications and the work quality and looks are truly outstanding. Regarding paint match, they did an outstanding job, however, when the paint supervisor and quality folks took it outside they were not completely satisfied and repainted the entire car to ensure a consistent paint match. While I had had a custom paint job placed on the car before bringing it in for the wide-body mods, after they repainted it, it looked absolutely amazing with my paint shop saying it was one of the best paint jobs they have seen. SA quality control is focused on customer satisfaction and excellence in the work product being produced. Bottom line, SA cannot afford to produce inferior solutions. Their customers are knowledgeable, educated and clearly very demanding! I am not sure I would want to do business with me!!! Jon

Archived