TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Panhard bar brace - comments please

DrKSGT

Been spending significant time on the rear suspension doing control arms and now planning to do the adjustable Panhard bar.

With this time I have thorougly looked at the brace and consider Ford part to seem light duty except on the LH side to the body. Deep draw on the shape before it is attached to the body seems better than the Shelby part. Picture leads me to believe Shelby is a single layer just extended out of the tubular section. It appears it will not restrain twist that can be transmitted.

Can anyone familiar with the part comment about the left side construction where it attachs to the body. Close up picture would be great if yours has not been assembled yet. Online picture does not answer my question.

Understand the Shelby is better for the remaining section due to being a tubular and much stiffer construction. Really want to be sure it is as strong on this other end.

DrKSGT

I used the drake adj pan hard bar and body brace. Sorry, I don't have pics but a google search will lead you to their site.

The stock body brace was just a stamped steel piece, very light weight. Drake is tubular steel with the LH mounting point made out of what looked like plate. Very heavy compared to stock part.

Good luck.

Ditto to the previous post. The stock park is just sheet metal while the Shelby part is tubular steel. Very nice piece.

I did install both Shelby parts (adjustable panhard bar and brace), and they made a noticeable difference. However, I wanted even better control of that big axle. So I removed those parts and installed the Shelby Watts Link. That system made a tremendous difference.

If you want the rear end planted, go straight to the Watts Link.

Ditto to the previous post. The stock park is just sheet metal while the Shelby part is tubular steel. Very nice piece.

I did install both Shelby parts (adjustable panhard bar and brace), and they made a noticeable difference. However, I wanted even better control of that big axle. So I removed those parts and installed the Shelby Watts Link. That system made a tremendous difference.

+1

Jer

OK - I have had the Watts Link in my sights as possible item. Also know there is a thread in probably the SGT Forum describing the installation that I have to find again.

Your note is clear on not needing either the panhard or the brace with the Watts link. Therefore better to save the expense and effort by going to the Watts link directly.

Which of the two did you do? I assume the billet aluminum has most of the same pieces the steel one has and would install the same. Trying to determine need to spend the extra $400 to get the billet to save 2 lb. (Probably could answer the parts piece of my question if link to instruction would work.)

Thank you for the post and suggestion to look at the Drake brace. There was enough detail to see the body end is stiff.

DrKSGT

I don't think you'll go wrong with a watts link. Bling of the billet piece is up to you, I'd be happy with the standard one.

Actually, I've been entertaining the idea of a watts link. Even after I spent the money on the bar and brace :doh: But I'll wait a while also have other items that are more pressing, like a 1 piece drive shaft.

I don't think you'll go wrong with a watts link. Bling of the billet piece is up to you, I'd be happy with the standard one.

Actually, I've been entertaining the idea of a watts link. Even after I spent the money on the bar and brace :doh: But I'll wait a while also have other items that are more pressing, like a 1 piece drive shaft.

I originally upgraded to an adjustable Panhard and brace. It was great to be able to center my axle, and it felt stiffer.

THEN, I got a Shelby Watts link. WOW. One of the very few times I felt a mod lived up to all its hype.

Which one? Well, the billet one is stunning to look at, it's really a nice item. Mine is the "plain" steel, but I had it powdercoated in Shelby GT Silver, so I'm "halfway" blingy... LOL.

The billet one will save some weight, but I'm already lugging around a spare full-size 20" Razor and tire in my trunk, so what the heck do I know? (I take it out for track time, of course!)

Yes, other than the frame, all the other parts are the same.

As Ferris Bueller would say: "If you have the means, I highly recommend it".

Jer

I originally upgraded to an adjustable Panhard and brace. It was great to be able to center my axle, and it felt stiffer.

THEN, I got a Shelby Watts link. WOW. One of the very few times I felt a mod lived up to all its hype.

Which one? Well, the billet one is stunning to look at, it's really a nice item. Mine is the "plain" steel, but I had it powdercoated in Shelby GT Silver, so I'm "halfway" blingy... LOL.

The billet one will save some weight, but I'm already lugging around a spare full-size 20" Razor and tire in my trunk, so what the heck do I know? (I take it out for track time, of course!)

Yes, other than the frame, all the other parts are the same.

As Ferris Bueller would say: "If you have the means, I highly recommend it".

Jer

Jer,

Appreciate your update. Notice that you must not sleep much due to post times for many posts you do.

Decision is going to have to be patient and go for a Watts link. Target early next spring versus doing the panhard/brace now. Have to work within the means Ferris mentioned.

Keep up the good work.

DrKSGT

Archived