TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe Decision on a Brand New Shelby.... help me decide... PLEASE!

HyperStangs

Normally I'm a person who never questions my own decisions but I find myself at a crossroad I can't seem to figure out. My new GT500 is halfway between MI and NM and I'm already scheduling time in the paint booth for a set of stripes. I ordered mine with the stripe delete knowing I would be crossing this bridge. One reason, I knew everyone would be getting the blk/blk stripe cars and I'm just not one to have the same thing as everyone else. Every Mustang I've owned was completely unique in one way or another... be it custom wheels, unique suspensions, off-the-wall S/C mods, etc.

So, Im considering one of two possible choices, and keep in mind I'm very likely going to send this car off to S.A. for a S.S. conversion in the not-too-distant future. Im going bright silver for starters, so I could do the traditional S.S. stripes (1" / 1"Gap / 14" / 1"Gap / 1") or a less-seen traditional Lemans stripe set (12" / 1"Gap / 12"), slightly wider than the 2013 stripes and 1/4" pinstriped in contrasting red.

What are your thoughts....?

You may want to contact the sales department at SAI as I'm not sure what the policy is for a SS conversion where the car has had custom painted stripes applied to it.

Steve

Never thought of that as a factor, but Im guessing that if I paint on my stripes they probably will still do the rest of the work.... at least that's my hope. I suspect if I do the S.S. stripe it will be even less of an issue. Even if I did the conversion first I would likely pull the vinyl and paint them.

My recollection is that painted stripes are no longer available with the newer setups for the SS (if it ever was) and the GT350 - vinyl stripes only. So don't paint your new ones on, get the SS with vinyls and when they fail get them painted on.

I would have my shop do them in any case... done properly they need to be applied, sanded and the entire car cleared. Its not cheap.... sadly. The vinyls would never fall off.... paint is a preference not a necessity. But you're right.

I would have my shop do them in any case... done properly they need to be applied, sanded and the entire car cleared. Its not cheap.... sadly. The vinyls would never fall off.... paint is a preference not a necessity. But you're right.

The vinyls can fail. Mine started to lift at a few corners, especially where there was an overlap at the bumper. Second, depending on the color they do fade. I've seen some Barrett Jackson red stripes that looked almost orange. Fall off, no. Deteriorate to the point of wanting them replaced? Yes.

The vinyls can fail. Mine started to lift at a few corners, especially where there was an overlap at the bumper. Second, depending on the color they do fade. I've seen some Barrett Jackson red stripes that looked almost orange. Fall off, no. Deteriorate to the point of wanting them replaced? Yes.

Thank goodness the new silver vinyl stripes are LEAGUES ABOVE the old material. I've had mine now for 2 years, still look perfect.

You're right about the B-Js, if they go bad, they're either pink or pumpkin!

Jer

Thank goodness the new silver vinyl stripes are LEAGUES ABOVE the old material. I've had mine now for 2 years, still look perfect.

You're right about the B-Js, if they go bad, they're either pink or pumpkin!

Jer

I kept mine up with frequent clay bar and re-application of turtle wax ice over them. Plus in the garage when I wasn't driving it. The red stripes, being a darker color, faded quicker. Silver is a good color that won't fade as much (visibly, at least).

Pretty much decided I'm going with the 12" Lemans... and red accent pins. Paint shops says two weeks in the shop, full dismantle and triple coats of clear. Not sure where the car will go first... paint or performance.

Pretty much decided I'm going with the 12" Lemans... and red accent pins. Paint shops says two weeks in the shop, full dismantle and triple coats of clear. Not sure where the car will go first... paint or performance.

That is going to look sharp. Silver with red accent really looks good on black. Great choice. Does it have red brake calipers too?

As others have said, if I was going to pay to make it a Super Snake, I would let Shelby take care of it.You are going to pay full price for the SS package so that is what I would expect. Then later if I was not happy with those stripes I would consider painting them. The car will be worth more on resale if it is original.

I was just gonna reply, Ive seen the silver dual LeMans stripes and a thin 1/2" red accent on the outside of each of the stripes. Looked really sharp! Paint them if you have the time and $$. And pics for us when their done!

12 INCH? The originals averaged 9 inch wide with a 2 inch gap between them for a total of 20 inches and I believe that the 2006 to 2009 were also 9 inch wide but with a 1 inch gap between them for a total of 19 inches. 12 inch wide Lemans Stripes will look kinda out of place. JMHO.

"Out of Place

12 INCH? The originals averaged 9 inch wide with a 2 inch gap between them for a total of 20 inches and I believe that the 2006 to 2009 were also 9 inch wide but with a 1 inch gap between them for a total of 19 inches. 12 inch wide Lemans Stripes will look kinda out of place. JMHO.

"Out of place" is what I'm going for.... ;)

Who really cares what anyone thinks---this is your baby and you need to select based on what YOU feel. Me personally, I don't really feel it's a Shelby WITHOUT the stripes.But that is only my .02 worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearseespeak:

Archived