TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Strongly thinking of selling

Im having a difficult time with this thought. I have the KR just sitting in the garage. It has 900 miles on the ticker. I have some aspirations of either buying another house or doing what I have to do and build a new garage and this is a nice chunk of money just sitting there. I purchased this car based on exclusivity but realizing that it's going to take 20 yrs before this car really comes into it's own. One thing that bothers me is that Shelby signed and numbered my dash also. I know I will regret it just like I do now knowing how my 1979 Smokey & the Bandit T/A that I sold has really risen in price. We all have these stories. I also have a nice 91 with 30k. I also know I'm probably going to want the new 15 also. Can someone talk me out of it??

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

T2eC16hHJIkE9qU3l4RbBQEz77kIBg60_3.jpgIMG_1899.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purchasing a second home is a true investment that will appreciate and add to your net worth. If you rent it out even better with income and tax right offs. As much as I love cars it would be better for anyone to increase their net worth when given the chance.

Im having a difficult time with this thought. I have the KR just sitting in the garage. It has 900 miles on the ticker. I have some aspirations of either buying another house or doing what I have to do and build a new garage and this is a nice chunk of money just sitting there. I purchased this car based on exclusivity but realizing that it's going to take 20 yrs before this car really comes into it's own. One thing that bothers me is that Shelby signed and numbered my dash also. I know I will regret it just like I do now knowing how my 1979 Smokey & the Bandit T/A that I sold has really risen in price....

IMG_1996.jpg

That old '79 T/A was a piece of doodie, compared to your KR (no offense). As far as I know, the last decent T/A was the '73 Super Duty. Other than both being collectable, you can't compare the two cars. One was a poser and the other a real performer. Don't sell the KR, if you can possibly afford to keep it... but you need to drive it some.

I wish I had a blue '09 KR... (and a red, and a silver..) KRs are AWESOME; '79 T/A's, not nearly so.

That what you wanted to hear? :)

Purchasing a second home is a true investment that will appreciate and add to your net worth. If you rent it out even better with income and tax right offs. As much as I love cars it would be better for anyone to increase their net worth when given the chance.

That was a smart answer. I liked it :yup::yup: Thank You. Your making sense, something the car sitting in the garage is not.

That old '79 T/A was a piece of doodie, compared to your KR (no offense). As far as I know, the last decent T/A was the '73 Super Duty. Other than both being collectable, you can't compare the two cars. One was a poser and the other a real performer. Don't sell the KR, if you can possibly afford to keep it... but you need to drive it some.

I wish I had a blue '09 KR... (and a red, and a silver..) KRs are AWESOME; '79 T/A's, not nearly so.

That what you wanted to hear? :)

No. I was not comparing a 70's Pontiac to my KR. What I was saying is that my 79 T/A which I paid little for are going for 35-50k in Mint condition. Owning that car now can only appreciate.

Ive been there...sold my 08 SGT-C....I regret it, but made sense at the time. Looking to sell the Hertz, I know I will regret it also, but family comes first. i plan on getting another Shelby in the future when the situation is better.

Yeah I hear ya. I can afford to keep it but it's just sitting there while I might have a chance to purchase the house next to me, or a vacation house at the shore for a rental and for my kids or finally build a garage after building my own house and that is the only thing left to do. I know i'll regret it and I know I will have more Mustangs since I had 15 of them. I still have my 91 in pristine condition. I just feel I can do better for myself and my family while this car just sits there. I know ill never get it signed but I'll have to deal with that. I have had 21 new cars in the last several years and sold every one of them within a year. I have lost a minimum of 5,000 per car so just look at all the money I have wasted. I could of had these things I am talking about a long time ago. I'm just feeling this is the right thing.

+1

Not to make it a harder decision, but... She sure is a beautiful car. :drool:

I agree 100%, your not even driving it, if the value goes up it will be 20-30 years from now minimum and it will not go up even close to as much as a second house. Right now is the absolute best time ever to buy a house, I am debating it myself (A second one).

Go out and purchase a new airbag cover for the dash....keep the Carroll Shelby signature if you want to do anything, and if you do purchase another one later, then you will have your signed dash ready to go for you since Carroll is no longer with us...

Just a thought.....

Andy.

Rest assured that the chances of a modern production car earning the same rate of return as real estate is low, but there is no guarantee that real estate will appreciate either. Trust me, I'm very experienced in this space.

Now certainly is the best time to buy real estate. I jrecently bought a vacation place for my family (and another inexpensive, but fun car).

However...

There are only 88 Vista Blue '09 KRs, and you may not see them changing hands as often, in a few years.

Then again, in favor of selling... There are plenty of other cool cars around.

Tough decision.

That old '79 T/A was a piece of doodie, compared to your KR (no offense). As far as I know, the last decent T/A was the '73 Super Duty.

Pshaw!

Although I'd love to have a SD, there are other "decent" TA's out there.

One of the many sacrifices I had to make in order to move from CA to CO was when I sold my '70 TA RA-IV 4-spd (White w/Blue stripe) in 2005. I couldn't take it with me (no room to keep in a HOA neighborhood).

I also had a '70 Formula (true) RA-III A/T (Goldenrod Yellow w/Black interior), a '73 Formula 455 w/455HD motor option, a '70 plain-Jane Firebird, a '73 Formula and a '62 Catalina 389 4-sp 2-dr Hardtop. Oh, and my '92 Grand Prix GTP daily driver (I somehow ended up being a "Pontiac Guy" without realizing it!).

I'd put that '70 RA-IV up against a '73 SD any day.

Phill (and STILL kickin' myself in the ass for selling them!!!)

Pshaw!

Although I'd love to have a SD, there are other "decent" TA's out there....

I'd put that '70 RA-IV up against a '73 SD any day.

Phill (and STILL kickin' myself in the ass for selling them!!!)

Yup; I know there were plenty of "good ones"... Just saying that I think the good ones ended with the '73 SD. And just as you're kicking yourself for selling those you've had, I think many of us would be kicking ourselves later on for selling our GT500s, especially an '09 Vista Blue KR.

As an owner of an '09 Vista Blue, my initial reaction would be to tell you to hold on to it if you can. Having said that, cars are not really the best investment, and if you don't drive the KR, the rational choice would be to sell it now and use the proceeds in a more efficient manner, such as the purchase of a second house.

Yup; I know there were plenty of "good ones"... Just saying that I think the good ones ended with the '73 SD. And just as you're kicking yourself for selling those you've had, I think many of us would be kicking ourselves later on for selling our GT500s, especially an '09 Vista Blue KR.

No argument on ANY of your points!

The sad part in my case is, I didn't have all of those cars 10, 20 or 30 years ago. I had them all SIX years ago. I had to make a tough decision and now I have to live with it.

AND, if I were in the market for a KR, it'd be a Vista Blue KR and preferably a '09 (w/NAV). Probably the rarest of them all.

Phill

Phill

+1

And I LOVE cars! But that is WISE.

Increase your wealth and buy a 15' later on...

I wouldn't say that the 1979 Trans Am wasn't a good car. It was a great car in design and styling for its time. Yes, 1979 didn't offer performance, but than again, who did?

If you bought a 1979 49-State TA it had a 455ci and 4-sp trans in it. If you bought a 50-State TA (Calif. smog legal), it had a 400ci and A/T in it.

The '79 455/4-sp is a VERY good performer...For its day. The 400/auto....NOT SO MUCH! <lol>

Phill (former Pontiac freak)

If you come to the point where you sell and need another airbag cover to swap out and keep yours, I have a clean one I can hook you up with.

I don't think you can go wrong with selling or keeping your KR.

If you let it go, you might have to buy it back someday with someone elses miles and then spend at least four times the purchase price to get it back to the condition it's in now, worst part is you knew better than to sell it and it won't be low miles and original. Don't do it. You can build a garage any old day, keep your KR.

If you let it go, you might have to buy it back someday with someone elses miles and then spend at least four times the purchase price to get it back to the condition it's in now, worst part is you knew better than to sell it and it won't be low miles and original. Don't do it. You can build a garage any old day, keep your KR.

4 times the price??? Not in any of our lifetimes. You can buy a car anytime, he is not even driving it.

The Economy is not going to get better in the next 4 years, sell it now, the value is going to go down short term, not up.

Go out and purchase a new airbag cover for the dash....keep the Carroll Shelby signature if you want to do anything, and if you do purchase another one later, then you will have your signed dash ready to go for you since Carroll is no longer with us...

Just a thought.....

Andy.

I thought of that but Carroll numbered it also so it wouldn't go with any other shelby, and not to be crude or anything but doesn't that make my KR a little more desirable??

What do you guys think I could actually get for this KR???

Low to mid 50K range for a quick sale. High 50s to low 60s if you hold out. Only 88 of those Vista Blue '09s in existance.

If I had more cash on hand, I'd make an offer. :)

Archived