TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5w-50 Mobil1 Oil Analysis Back

ChristianBorel

hey guys, i know this is a slightly old topic, but i got back my used oil analysis from my 2011 gt500 running Mobil1 5w-50

and just so everyone knows, the car has two track days on this oil sample and about 3000 miles on it.

i know some people think you cant get mobil1 5w-50, but you can get it here:(cheap as well i think) http://store.avlube....mobil15w50.html

as time goes on, that oil should become slightly more available because the new supercar lexus LFA uses it, so maybe a future lexus dealer might have it?

here is the results, from blackstone laboratories.

post-34598-0-63872000-1348588061_thumb.png

post-34598-0-63872000-1348588061_thumb.png

Just a little FYI for those of you who don't think Motorcraft oil is up to snuff and/or Mobil 1 is the holy grail of oils. In the rare event that you should happen to need to take your GT500 to the dealer for some type of warranty related concern involving the engine itself, and they ask you for a maintenance record (which they very well could if you haven't had oil changes performed by them), be sure it doesn't have any mention of Mobil 1 anywhere.

There's a reason the link posted above to Mobil's 1 website showing 5w-50 oil for sale doesn't mention Ford Motor Company approval anywhere on it. The reason being it isn't. Hard to believe huh? Well it's true. Go to Mobil's 1's main page and select the "what's the right oil and filter for my car" link. If you enter all the info for a recommendation on motor oil for a new GT500, you will get a message stating they don't offer a oil for that car. The GT500 engine requires an API "SN" rating, of which Mobil 1's 5w-50 does not hold, and in addition there are other additives that Ford specifies on top of that in which Mobil 1 does not include either.

Interesting thread. That is if you like reading about oil.

The information I posted above isn't meant to imply anything. Just information for anyone out there who is interested in ensuring they never have any warranty issues with Ford.

If someone out there is concerned about their warranty being voided on their engine and they insist on not using Motorcraft oil, make sure the label on the oil you choose states it meets Ford specification WSS-M2C931-B as Secondo posted.

Interesting thread. That is if you like reading about oil.

The information I posted above isn't meant to imply anything. Just information for anyone out there who is interested in ensuring they never have any warranty issues with Ford.

If someone out there is concerned about their warranty being voided on their engine and they insist on not using Motorcraft oil, make sure the label on the oil you choose states it meets Ford specification WSS-M2C931-B as Secondo posted.

yea i mean im not too worried about using motorcraft over mobil1 5w-50, just a personal thing, i wish amsoil made a 5w-50, im not really trying to beat the engineers at ford to say that the engine does not need 5w-50 and it is all a bunch of crap. lol. i know that there is mobile1 reports for the 15w-50 but not much for 5w-50.

just as a comparison, seems to be pretty much the same with most high quality oils that are on various forums and whatnot

• 5 years later...

Ok, so now, in 2018, many companies make a 5w-50. Castrol, Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Mobil 1, and some other companies I never heard of. Royal Purple does not offer it. Valvoline offers it, but it is their VR Racing blend and it's not synthetic. I just bought a used 2007 GT500 with 21,000 miles on it. I will probably use Amsoil, Redline or Motul with a Royal Purple oil filter.

Archived